What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jim Beam Cup 2008 season

Roland

Juniors
Luke Branighan (Cabramatta) and ex Sydney Bulls prop, Puna Rasaubale, have signed to play with Gateshead Thunder in the National League 1 comp in Britain.

They join other ex JBC players, Dan Russell (Mounties), Kevin Neighbour and Lewis McPhail (Shellharbour Marlins) and Netani Suka (Newtown) who all played in the Thunders NL2 title in 2008.

100yearsRL

Juniors
Wonder how long Branighan will last before he returns to Cabra for big money?
I heard Dan Russell has moved on from Gateshead.

From all reports Luke Branighan is a decent bloke. It appears that every time he signs with cabra another offer from higher level comes in and you can't blame him for taking that. Good on Cabra for letting him go those previous times, can't stop players trying to earn a quid.

Roland

Juniors
It is now official that the Shellharbour City Dragons will play in the State Cup in 2009.

With Erina, Shellharbour and Chester Hill gone and only Penrith Brothers mentioned as a new entrant, a drop back to 10 teams appears likely.

Roland

Juniors
Former Mounties half back, Dan Russell, who was the top point scorer in the British NL2 comp for Premiers, Gateshead, has been recruited by Whitehaven, a top 6 team in the NL1 comp.

Whitehaven have released former Chester Hill winger/backrower, Saia Makisi, who will be playing in France next season.

Luke is a good bloke, I have spoken to him several times.
I dont get that cabra just dont offer him decent money to make him start the season as they are clearly a different team when he plays.
They have no replacement for him as far as I can see.

100yearsRL

Juniors
Luke is a good bloke, I have spoken to him several times.
I dont get that cabra just dont offer him decent money to make him start the season as they are clearly a different team when he plays.
They have no replacement for him as far as I can see.

Couldn't argue with you there Terry he is a class act in the JB and Cabramatta will need a good replacement for him as he does make a hell of a difference.

Erina7Eagle

Luke very good player,from all reports english offer 2 good 2 refuse.John tavinor 2 sharks he will need 2 hit the weights he is built like a praying mantos.Cabra will struggle without quality half.have a great forward pack but also struggle off the field with problems between ex officials & current. With teams going out & none coming in jim beam cup is returning to bad ol days of metropolitan cup

The Wrong Eye

Juniors
Luke very good player,from all reports english offer 2 good 2 refuse.John tavinor 2 sharks he will need 2 hit the weights he is built like a praying mantos.Cabra will struggle without quality half.have a great forward pack but also struggle off the field with problems between ex officials & current. With teams going out & none coming in jim beam cup is returning to bad ol days of metropolitan cup
Quite right Erina7Eagle looks as though the clubs with money are the only ones that will be in this comp.
Also hear it wont be Jim Beam next year , new sponsor.

Roland

Juniors
Interesting to see that 3 ex JBC players were with Brisbane Norths in the Queensland Cup this year. Bede Tuohy left Belrose part way through 2008 to join another ex Belrose player, Matt Forest. Also, big prop Blake Blackburn, who was released by Mounties at the end of 2007, played with the Devils.

LimeTime

Juniors
How is Cabra shaping up Lime Time.
Is there any news on Richie Parker and Yatesy and if they are hanging around at Cabra for another year?
to be honest Ram Man I havn't been involved with the club since our last home game, although I will be at the club on saturday for my kids presentation day, I do know that I've seen jonesy round the area quite a bit ... still wearing his cabra colours so it looks like he hasn't headed west , not at this early stage anyway

Ram Man

Juniors
any reason they have pulled the pin ram man ??
Geez that comp looks like being a diaster with only 8 teams.

There were a number of contributing factors mate.
Money for 1 was always difficult without the backing of a leagues club. The Board did a great job running the JBC team with just sponsership money for 4 years.
Another reason was a lot of the old boys of the club were pretty much always against the JBC side and their view was that the JBC sucked the life out of the A Grade side. Our A Grade has nor been competitve for a few years because of the depth needed to run a JBC side.
Its a shame but we werent exactly setting the world on fire on the field and without a decent home ground and the money to buy important players it was just really difficult to keep it afloat and keep everyone happy.