What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jim Beam Cup 2008 season

The Wrong Eye

Juniors
Has anyone any news of the strcture of this comp for next year , I thought I read somewhere it was going to be announced at the preso night last week.As usual not much info on NSWRL site.
Also any news of coaches and players for each club ??

one_eyed_demon

Juniors
The Wrong Eye said:
Has anyone any news of the strcture of this comp for next year , I thought I read somewhere it was going to be announced at the preso night last week.As usual not much info on NSWRL site.
Also any news of coaches and players for each club ??
I know centre from mounties, buttler? has signed with bulls

Nuke

Staff member
There's at least one player from Canterbury Bulls coming to play in the WA Reds team. I can't off-hand think of his name though.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
Nuke said:
There's at least one player from Canterbury Bulls coming to play in the WA Reds team. I can't off-hand think of his name though.

Canterbury bulls? or SYDNEY Bulls?

Nfed

Juniors
Sydney Bulls halfback' Luke Millwood, who made a few appearances for both Brisbane Norths and Burleigh in the Queensland Cup as a teenager before moving to Newtown, has been signed by the Roosters for 2008.

Last I heard Steve Jolly has decided to retire. He looked like he still had it at the start of the season but he missed a lot of games through injury and put on a lot of weight and came back as nothing more than a dummy half/defender. He will free up a few points for the Bulls. There may be a few more Bulls the wrong side of 30 giving it away.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
Nfed said:
Sydney Bulls halfback' Luke Millwood, who made a few appearances for both Brisbane Norths and Burleigh in the Queensland Cup as a teenager before moving to Newtown, has been signed by the Roosters for 2008.

Last I heard Steve Jolly has decided to retire. He looked like he still had it at the start of the season but he missed a lot of games through injury and put on a lot of weight and came back as nothing more than a dummy half/defender. He will free up a few points for the Bulls. There may be a few more Bulls the wrong side of 30 giving it away.

in the Sunday times over here it said one of there front rowers will be playin 4 the Reds in 08

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wonder how many players the Reds will sign from over East? Watching the WARL GF and JB GF recently there is a bit of a gap in quality to be breached for the Reds to be up in the top 4.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
http://www.sharks.com.au/index.php?id=435&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=697&tx_ttnews[backPid]=432&cHash=8450dd2876

CRONULLA CARINGBAH IN JIM BEAM CUP
11.10.07 18:29 Age: 13 min
It’s official! Cronulla Caringbah Sharks Junior Rugby League Football Club has been accepted into the NSWRL Jim Beam Cup Competition for the 2008 Season.

Cronulla Caringbah Sharks will compete against the current clubs in the competition as well as the other new entrant’s, one being a Western Australian team, the Western Reds. NSWRL are currently under negotiations with Foxtel, to televise the games as they did this year. The St George Sutherland Shire leader will report on the games throughout the 2008 season. Local Sutherland Shire radio station 2SSR 99.7FM will also update the team’s progress.
Graeme Bloor, Cronulla Caringbah Sharks President said at the Jim Beam Cup Presentation night on Wednesday 3rd October 2007, that this is a fantastic opportunity for all Rugby League Players in the Shire. There is now a clear pathway for players to reach the NRL. Cronulla Sutherland Sharks now have a pathway for juniors starting with the Junior Representative sides Mathews Cup and SG Ball. The players could then go on to make the Sharks National Youth under 20’s team. If they are over 20, they could then use the Jim Beam Cup and the Premier League pathway to reach their goals. There are one of only a few NRL teams that can boast this complete set up.
Graeme also reiterated that this was not just for the players of Cronulla Caringbah Sharks but all rugby league players in the district. Graeme said that there has been an enormous amount of work done to get the team into the competition by the Cronulla Caringbah Sharks. The Cronulla Sutherland Sharks supported the application process, but this was just the start of the hard work. Most clubs that we will be competing against have very large leagues clubs backing them and the cost to compete in this competition is over $250,000.
Graeme said the Cronulla Caringbah Sharks were in need of a major sponsor for the team, they would have the opportunity to display their business name on the playing jumpers as well as other advertising and promotional options.
We are also asking all business’s in the shire to get behind us with their support and sponsorship and if they are interested in this exciting inaugural year to contact Peter Malone at pmalone1@dodo.com.au for an opportunity to discuss sponsorship packages that are on offer. We also have a 200 club where supporters will become the 200 foundation members receiving a specially designed polo shirt and cap for their donation of $250.00, once again if people are interested they need to contact Peter.
The club has also secured the service of Luke Goodwin to coach the side; Luke is the son of former St George Great Teddy Goodwin. Luke comes with great experience; Luke played 1st grade rugby league and has coached rep teams for the Sharks.
The club will be holding open trials for the team on the 27th October 2007 from 10am at Toyota Stadium. Those players interested will need to download a trial form from the Sharks or Cronulla Caringbah website and return it no later than the 24th October 2007 to ensure a trial.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Spike said:
David Peachy is turning out for them isn't he?

In the a grade comp yes. I was talking to a local junior coach today and he said that he may be ineligible to play in the JB cup. Apparantly they have a points system for ex 1st grade players. Too many points and you can't field a team. Stops teams loading sides with too many ex nrl lads. Thats the way I understand it. Maybe someone can confirm it.

But it would be great if he does.

Nfed

Juniors
Peach would be worth 20 for next year if he has not played for the club before and this would drop by 1 for each year until he got to 15. But if the NSWRL ruled that Cronulla Caringbah and Cronulla Sutherland are the same thing he would be on 15 next season.

The maximum is 100 per team. The prop from The Entrance was worth 17 and yet the whole team was only about 85.

Nfed

Juniors
Seven Hills says not to Jim Beam Cup for 2008
By John Macdonald
space.gif

Here today: Winger Joe Swamy scored out wide in one of the Demons first games of the season. Picture: Gene Ramirez

Seven Hills will not field a team in the Jim Beam Cup rugby league competition next year.The Demons Sports board made the decision on the recommendation of the football club at a meeting on Wednesday night."We will not be taking part in the Jim Beam Cup," Demons football chairman Don O'Regan said yesterday.O'Regan said he understood clubs were spending between $150,000 and $400,000 to compete in the Jim Beam Cup.He said a decision was yet to be made about whether the Demons would field a team in the Parramatta A grade rugby league competition.Seven Hills debuted in the Jim Beam Cup this season and won just three games.The side seemed to have a future when football director Ken Schembri said recently the Demons would retain a major rugby league team."It is our intention to field a team in the Jim Beam Cup," said Schembri, who has since returned to his first love and will coach the Blacktown Demons in Premier League soccer next season. Meanwhile, O'Regan dismissed the idea of the Demons playing in a national second-tier soccer competition."I can't imagined Football Federation Australia giving it its imprimatur," O'Regan said."We can go on winning the Premier League year after year and being the best team in NSW."Why would we spend two to three times the money going on to another plateau with no promotion for winning?"We'd have the same players and would have to pay them more."A Sydney Morning Herald report stated there would be a meeting in a Sydney hotel later this week to thrash out details of the rumoured competition, which would start next summer.Premier League champions Blacktown were reportedly invited. Clubs would have to find a playing budget of $500,000 a season."No-one has spoken to us," O'Regan said of the mooted meeting.He said the second-tier competition was a concept that came up every few seasons, just like yoyos.

Source: Blacktown Sun

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Nfed said:
Peach would be worth 20 for next year if he has not played for the club before and this would drop by 1 for each year until he got to 15. But if the NSWRL ruled that Cronulla Caringbah and Cronulla Sutherland are the same thing he would be on 15 next season.

The maximum is 100 per team. The prop from The Entrance was worth 17 and yet the whole team was only about 85.

tks for the info. I don't think they will do that as they are two complete separate entities although there is a bit of history they share.

Spike

First Grade
I was thinking the same thing. The only player that I'm aware of that would attrack such a high amount of points is Alex Moore as he's the only one to play first grade but he's a halfback

Nfed

Juniors
Chris Birchall played a few seasons of Super League for Halifax. It is 3 years since he played so he gets a 3 point discount off 20. Alex Moore played for The Entrance in the juniors, if 5 years with the club and less than 4 games in NRL, he would be only 5 points, if 4 or more games in NRL he would be 10 points.

Nfed

Juniors
The Sydney Bulls have reacted quickly to their substandard performances in 2007 by adding 4 quality players to their roster:

Brett Finn (Cronulla) - hooker for NSW Residents in 2005 and 2006
Pat Rosser (St George) - backrower who has also repped for NSW Residents
Mark Butler (Mounties) - centre/wing who score about 35 tries for Windsor a few years ago.
Tim Wynn (Parramatta/Seven Hills) - backrower

There is also the possibility of a far bigger name than these 4 being secured.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Anyone know when the fixture list is out? Hoping to get across to Sydney to watch the Reds a couple of times. Which game sin Sydney would be best in terms of ground, atmosphere, welcome etc?

Latest posts