What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jim Beam cup expansion

Nfed

Juniors
The June edition of Rugby League Review stated that Canberra were going to send there excess players to Wests but if it is just Liberopoulos making up quotes then Canberra should be looking at Cabramatta.

Dallas said:
Im not going to bag out another club, because I havent read any articles of the like, but there is NO WAY that Wests are going to be a feeder club for a seperate NRL team.

Time will tell. Presumably that intelligence comes from somewhere.

Meanwhile, Penrith have entered into a JV with Windsor Wolves for the Wolves to be their P/L feeder club.

Nfed

Juniors
So at this stage I think it looks something like this:

Premier Grade

Wests
Balmain Ryde
North Sydney
Newtown
Auckland
Central Coast Storm
Newcastle
Manly
Cronulla
Sydney Bulls
Mounties
Windsor
St George Illawarra
Cabramatta

JBC

Mounties (Harbord)
Cabramatta
Windsor
Sydney Bulls
Belrose
Wentworthville
The Entrance
Erina
Shellharbour
Western Australia
Chester Hill
Seven Hills
Asquith
Guildford

Perhaps 6 team finals would be appropriate for 14 team comps.

Dallas

Juniors
Can it be noted that a Joint Venture / Merger is completly different to sending players to another club.

A merger is when two seperate clubs join togeather to form one club, and both clubs are no longer. E.G - Cant think of a single one in our game, but along the lines of the Brisbane Lions in the AFL. Two clubs merged to form one, and both previous clubs no longer.

A Joint venture is when two clubs join togeather to form another club (in a higher grade) and both clubs still play in the lower grade. E.G. Wests & Balmain to form Wests Tigers.

A Take-over is when a stronger club joins with a weaker club, and the weeker club is swallowed into the stronger club. E.G. St George and Illawarra Steelers to form St George Illawarra.

Please just keep that in mind when discussing Joint Ventures / mergers / etc in relation to the NSWRL, and think Norths and Souths and Newtown and Easts.

Cheers

Mick

Dallas said:
Can it be noted that a Joint Venture / Merger is completly different to sending players to another club.

Well, not exactly -- "Sending players to another club" in the cases we've been discussing here are 'joint ventures' in the true sense.

Both parties will invest money and resources into the relationship (for example, Windsor is investing $120k a season in the Penrith case, Ryde-Eastwood invest $200k+ into the BRET JV) and both will derive benefits from the venture. However, they are both basically "sending players to another club" arrangements.

No one's suggesting that just because Wests and Canberra may enter some into kind of JV arrangement where 3 Canberra players are made available to Wests each Round (or something similar) that Wests no longer exists, they're just entering into (and investing in) a mutually-beneficial venture.

Dallas

Juniors
I understand what you are saying cumby, but I have to disagree on the term "Joint Venture". Losely, you are correct, but in the scheme of things it wouldnt be a joint venture.

A mutually-beneficial venture as you say is a better term for it. Joint Venture is a very raw term, especially for someone like me (think Wests-Tigers joint venture).

Anyway, not wanting to get stuck in jargon talk.

Does anyone know when the NSWRL is finalising things AND we will know what the bloody hell will be happening next season?!

I know that it's early days but does the NSWRL know what is happening next season? Any chance of getting some press coverage in the Tele? Or finally getting the PL onto TV?

Surely it wouldn't cost that much to pay for half a page in the Tele on a slow news day, say Wednesday, with a bit of a round up and the draw with the times and venues for the up coming week?

It'd be nice to see the PL get some positive coverage in the press.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Nfed said:
So at this stage I think it looks something like this:

Premier Grade

Wests
Balmain Ryde
North Sydney
Newtown
Auckland
Central Coast Storm
Newcastle
Manly
Cronulla
Sydney Bulls
Mounties
Windsor
St George Illawarra
Cabramatta

JBC

Mounties (Harbord)
Cabramatta
Windsor
Sydney Bulls
Belrose
Wentworthville
The Entrance
Erina
Shellharbour
Western Australia
Chester Hill
Seven Hills
Asquith
Guildford

Perhaps 6 team finals would be appropriate for 14 team comps.

So I ask why they couldn't link the comps together and run a promotion relegation system?

Dallas said:
Anyway, not wanting to get stuck in jargon talk.

You're right - it's just semantics. But Wests would benefit greatly if you had access to some First Grade Canberrans. Raise your profile (i.e. gives RLW/Big League/LeagueHQ a reason to write a story about you), attract a few Raiders fans to games; obviously extra playing talent.

yone know when the NSWRL is finalising things AND we will know what the bloody hell will be happening next season?!

I doubt we'll have total certainty until January 2008. When did the announcement about Auckland Lions playing this year come through? Was quite late from memory.

From memory the NSWRL always use the excuse that they can't finalise the PL draw because of the NRL, well now that the PL is going to be a more stand alone comp I can't see anything holding them back and finalising A) what teams are playing next year and B) what the structure is going to be.

As for promotion and relegation, I can't see that being much use as any club with enough cash can apply, and most likely join the PL. So why would they go through all the hassle of playing a season in the JBC if they can splash out a bit more and gain entry into the PL?

Dallas

Juniors
Promotion and Relegration - forget it. We arent english soccer, and theres simply not enough people in NSW to do it. Teams would get relegated, then their players would leave for clubs in the top grade - stuff that.

The only thing Id like is for of course us foundation clubs to be in the top grade competition, and also have a few clubs from regional areas in it too, I.E. Wagga Wagga, Bathurst, North Coast.

Why? Well partly to give their players a chance to strut their stuff against the great sides, but also to give me an excuse to rack off from Sydney every so often to watch footy!

Seriouslly though, I think a team in a State wide competion in say Wagga Wagga (League strong hold), or the North Coast (Grafton or the like) would be great, and I think they would attract a few people to the matches.

Thoughts?

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I was thinking more that the promotion/relegation could be based on club preference and progression. For example if a Jim Beam Cup club was growing and a Premier League Club having troubles they could swap.

The other issue is what is happening with WA Reds in the Jim Beam Cup? Does the NSWRL cover the costs of travel or the Reds or do those less wealthy clubs have to fork out the cash?

Dallas

Juniors
status quo for the PL is that the team outside NSW pays for travel.

So, Auckland in the PL pays for all teams to travel to Auckland for their home games. (Premier league wise).

Of course, however, they use the funds of the NZRL, as well as the NRL so its quite messy.

In the case of WA I would expect that their home league pays for the travel costs of all parties involved. I would expect that the NSWRL chip in also. It would not be possible for the respective teams to pay their way.

Part of their entry to the NSWRL compeition (Auckland) was that they pay their way.

Stagger eel

Staff member
talks between Mount Pritchard and Parramatta have broken down and Mounties will no longer be the feeder club to Parramatta.

Parra are now in discussion with Wentworthville but even that is looking a little shaky at the moment.

eelavation said:
talks between Mount Pritchard and Parramatta have broken down and Mounties will no longer be the feeder club to Parramatta.

Parra are now in discussion with Wentworthville but even that is looking a little shaky at the moment.

Big news, Eela!

Anymore details you can provide?

The Engineers Room

First Grade
eelavation said:

I told you the Seven Hills Demons will be the feeder club. :D

Stagger eel

Staff member
Natalie's Daddy said:
I told you the Seven Hills Demons will be the feeder club. :D

both Seven Hills and Cabramatta are not prepared to fork out the dough and are not in the running at all, from what i understand.

Stagger eel

Staff member
cumberlandsashes81 said:
Big news, Eela!

Anymore details you can provide?

not really..

only that discussions with Wenty are continueiung and from what i know they have painted themselves in a corner because as part of their agreement with NSWRL, they m,ust field a team in the JB cup or equivelant for next season.

Wenty leagues club are struggling financially and are extremely reluctant to commit themselves, however they may not have a choice.