What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JM: Case of best team lost the game

Gronk

Staff member
Case of best team lost the game

BY JOHN MACDONALD
31/03/2009 4:00:00 AM
ANY disinterested Parramatta fan would agree with Canberra Raiders coach Don Furner: the best team lost Saturday night's NRL match at Parramatta Stadium.That best team was the Raiders, 18-16 losers in a game that turned on a 90m intercept try to Parramatta five-eighth Jarrod Hayne after an hour.
The Raiders were leading 16-4 then; they'd just had a try disallowed to winger Jarrod Carney that would have given them a 20-4 or 22-4 lead.
That score would have reflected their superiority.
Moments later Raiders five-eighth Terry Campese only had to find any of the several Raiders outside him for the clinching try.
Instead he found Hayne, and afterwards Parramatta found all the luck, penalties and possession and won thanks to late tries from Krisnan Inu and a rejuvenated and switched-on Eric Grothe jun.
Canberra still could have snatched it at the death except for a dropped ball.
Parramatta had entered the game as the hottest favourites of round four.
They had a full complement against a Raiders who had lost inspirational captain Alan Tongue before the game, and several others to injury before that.
Canberra were a reserve-grade team on paper but played with speed and enthusiasm.
Parramatta played like hot favourites against reserve-graders who only had to go round to get the points.
They deserved to be punished but instead got a scare and used up a major quote of luck.
New Eels coach Daniel Anderson was relaxed: ``I'm the biggest change at this club, so we're getting used to the combination of me more than the players.
``I have some demands and expectations on the players' performances and character during games and in general we're on the positive side.
``We will go into next week's game confident we can win,'' he said of Friday night's away clash with the Sydney Roosters.
Anderson reserved praise for lock Feleti Mateo, who made 42 tackles, 10 hit-ups for 118m and just two offloads - a contrast to his usual flamboyant creativity.
``Feleti played a very, very tight and powerful role in the middle of the field, where he hasn't had the luxury of getting many off-loads, but he is sticking to a team task,'' said Anderson.
Nathan Hindmarsh and Mateo are certainly delivering - between them they almost topped the century in tackles.
It's a moot point whether they should be delivering so much, and whether the statistics say their team-mates should be delivering more.
http://blacktown.yourguide.com.au/n.../case-of-best-team-lost-the-game/1473951.aspx

slippy

Juniors
Firstly, "Parramatta had entered the game as the hottest favourites of round four." Muppet.

And secondly, "Canberra were a reserve-grade team on paper but played with speed and enthusiasm." - That's bull if you ask me their team was very good with a very under rated forward pack. To say they were the best team annoys me, sure they showed up for longer periods of the game, but we held on and they didnt convert their chances into points because of our defense. It was all we had to turn to and it served us well

We stood up in the crucial period of the game and they say you make your own luck well i guess our efforts in the off season and major attitude adjustment provided us with that luck.

Bring on the c**ks.

strider

Post Whore
I'm pretty sure Don's days as coach are behind him .... maybe try David Furner :thumn

Aenemus

Juniors
Still trying to figure out who Jarrod Carney is as well.

Spelling Hayne's first name wrong is almost forgiven!

The Colonel

Immortal
Reserve graders is probably a bit rich.... they were down on front rowers and missed Buttriss and Tongue but the rest of the team on paper was pretty decent actually.

mickdo

Coach
You've got team lists to check names, and every other resource under the sun to know what freaking round it is. A 5 year old could do better.

Eels Dude

Coach
So he's stated it was round 4 last week, spelt Hayne's name wrong, confused the names of Jarrod Croker and Justin Carney, and thinks the Raider's coach is Don Furner. Also if you follow the link there's a picture of Matt Keating but the caption say's it's Kris. He hasn't seemed to make any mistakes in the lower half, but that's probably because all he did was cut and paste quotes. Fair dinkum, if this bloke ever wants to graduate out of the Blacktown Sun he had better start doing his research.

Gronk

Staff member
So he's stated it was round 4 last week, spelt Hayne's name wrong, confused the names of Jarrod Croker and Justin Carney, and thinks the Raider's coach is Don Furner. Also if you follow the link there's a picture of Matt Keating but the caption say's it's Kris. He hasn't seemed to make any mistakes in the lower half, but that's probably because all he did was cut and paste quotes. Fair dinkum, if this bloke ever wants to graduate out of the Blacktown Sun he had better start doing his research.

Parra Pete's favourite scribe. :lol:

Eelementary

Post Whore
As the commentators at the game said - when comparing forward packs (in terms of size), it was a case of men (Raiders) playing against boys (Eels). They were certainly strong up front.

slippy

Juniors
What an absolute Muppet.
How the hell does he get a job!

Almost as bad as Peter "messup" Jessup

jono

Juniors
Is it not 'the BETTER team lost" ? Then again , if Canberra was indeed the better team , they would have won.

The Colonel

Immortal
I don't thionk they played that much better at all..... their attack was all executed through Campese. Sure they scored three tries off his efforts but they should have scored a hell of a lot more with the possession and field position they had.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I don't thionk they played that much better at all..... their attack was all executed through Campese. Sure they scored three tries off his efforts but they should have scored a hell of a lot more with the possession and field position they had.

so you admit they played a little better? ;-)

Latest posts