What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jnr Kangaroos v Fiji

yakstorm

First Grade
From NRL.com

Halfback Tim Moltzen landed a 76th minute field goal to get the Junior Kangaroos out of jail against gutsy Fiji in the opening match of their short South Pacific rugby league tour.
The cream of the NRL's young talent found itself down 14-4 by halftime at the National Stadium after some brutal defence from a Bati combination featuring 14 players from the fledgling local league.

Penrith centre Michael Jennings' unconverted 57th minute try came after the Bati had repelled the Australians for five consecutive sets of tackles, only to knock on when they got the ball back.

Tweed Heads Queensland Cup grand final star, Shannon Walker, then flashed over with 13 to go, leaving it to Wests Tigers first grader Chris Lawrence to land a difficult conversion in heavy rain to tie up the international at 14-14.

He did so and Bulldogs lower grader Ryan Millard's field goal attempt with eight left almost clinched a famous victory for the Arthur Kitinas-coached Fijians. The shot went off the left and it was Balmain-Rydes Moltzen who proved the hero.

"We spoke about the fact they probably couldn't foot it with us over the whole 80 minutes," said Australian coach Matt Cameron.

"But to their credit they stuck to their guns."

Former South Sydney coach Arthur Kitinas said of his men: "I was surprised they kept going. I don't know where they get that energy from.

"They've had weights programs going here for the last six months and the difference was they were much stronger today than they ever have been."

roopy

Referee
That is outstanding.
I'd love to know which other Aussie based players played for Fiji - but that is a really strong result.
The junior Kangaroos were at least a PL standard side, so i hope a few scouts were there, because those Fiji based Fijians in the side would only be half as good as they could be if given full time training and coaching.

Magpie Nick

Juniors
3. Michael Jennings (Penrith)

6. Blake Ayshford (Balmain Ryde)
7. Tim Moltzen (Balmain Ryde)

13. Chris Lawrence (Wests Tigers)

14. Wayde Dunley (Wests Magpies)

That's from Wests Tigers website and the info above.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
From Fridays Fiji Sun Newspaper:

It will be tough: Kangaroos
Last updated 10/5/2007 10:28:23 AM

Junior Kangaroos captain Chris Lawrence says beating the Fiji Bati side will be an enormous task for his young troops.
The West Sydney Tigers fullback said that the warm up game against the Fiji Bati would also be a chance of a lifetime for many of the young guns in the Junior Kangaroos.
Lawrence said most of the players would want to show their talent to attract NRL clubs.
“We’re looking forward to playing this game against the Fiji Bati and I believe that it will be tough. We’ve prepared well and we are psyched up ahead of the game,” Lawrence said.
“This is a good international exposure for us as we’re all in the development side and we’re looking at earning a spot in an NRL club, so this would be an opportune time for us to prove our worth.”
The 18-year old is not underestimating the Fiji Bati side but is keeping his fingers crossed instead.
Lawrence said the Bati side would be hard to beat especially on their home ground.
“We can’t rule out any chance as yet because the Fiji Bati side will be fielding a strong line up. The boys are big and they’ve been exposed so they’ll be giving us a good run,” he said.
“I’ve played against some of their Australian based players and I know that they’ll be adding more experience to their capable side. But we’re sharing the same intention and after all there will be one winner at the end of the game.”
Meanwhile, Lawrence plays in the same club as Australian based Sam Wara.
Australian based Sam Wara is also expecting a close game against the Junior Kangaroos when he campaigns for the Fiji Bati.
The 21-year old speedster who plays for the West Sydney Tigers at club level did not rule out a chance against the visitors but he remains optimistic that they would be in for a good outing tonight.
“The Australians play at the different pace but we’ll be in for a good game against them because I’m training with a determined side,” Wara said.
“There is a lot of potential in players here in Fiji and I believe that with proper guidance they’ll be able to lift the standard of the sport.”
The Yasawa native who will make his debut with the national side is honoured to play for Fiji and his looking forward to prove his worth.
“I’ve been playing rugby league when I was six and I started playing at professional level four years ago it’s a great boost for me to be selected to play for my country. I’m honoured to be given a chance to prove my worth and I’m looking forward to doing my best,” he said.
Meanwhile, Wara is one of the five overseas based players that will be playing for the Fiji Bati side and the clash is set to kick off at 7pm at the Post Fiji Stadium tonight.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
http://www.sun.com.fj/Fiji_newspaper/Local_sports/sports_news_view.asp?id=2148

From Fiji Times, including names of 5 Australian based Fijians:

Kangaroos raise Bati hope before Test
Friday, October 05, 2007

THE Junior Kangaroos expect a tough time" against the Fiji Bati side when the two teams face-off at the Post Fiji Stadium this evening.

The Junior Kangaroos and the Fiji Bati sides were able to size each other up during morning tea hosted by Fiji National Rugby League sponsors Vodafone yesterday.

The score line will be close. It looks like its going to be a tough game. There are a lot of big boys there (Fiji Bati) and were looking forward to a bruising encounter tomorrow (today)," Junior Kangaroos captain Chris Lawrence said.

Lawrence, who plays for the West Tigers in the National Rugby League competition, has played with some of Fijis players and rates them highly.

The Bati have been boosted with Australia-based players Puna Rasaubale Eloni Vunakece, Samu Wara, Suli Koroibulileka, and Ryan Millard.
Ive played with a few of them (Fiji Bati) and some against them. Ive played with Puna (Rasaubale) and Samu (Wara) and played against the others," Lawrence said.

Lawrence added that most of his players were using the tour to make the Australian side for the 2008 Rugby League World Cup.

Fiji skipper Alipate Tani said they held a lot of respect for their much-experienced opponents and were ready to take on the challenge.

The players have been training hard for the last two weeks and were looking forward to the match," Tani said.

The match kicks off at 7pm. At 6pm, the Canden Rams from Australia will play the Fiji Bati under-16 side. Tickets:$10, $5 ground and $3 for children.

The local boys are looking to make a big impression especially with the world cup next year," said the Mango Cowboys player.

All we have to do is believe in ourselves and play to our game plan. Size does not matter on the field.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
http://www.sun.com.fj/Fiji_newspaper/Local_sports/sports_news_view.asp?id=2148

From Fiji Times, including names of 5 Australian based Fijians:

Kangaroos raise Bati hope before Test
Friday, October 05, 2007

THE Junior Kangaroos expect a tough time" against the Fiji Bati side when the two teams face-off at the Post Fiji Stadium this evening.

The Junior Kangaroos and the Fiji Bati sides were able to size each other up during morning tea hosted by Fiji National Rugby League sponsors Vodafone yesterday.

The score line will be close. It looks like its going to be a tough game. There are a lot of big boys there (Fiji Bati) and were looking forward to a bruising encounter tomorrow (today)," Junior Kangaroos captain Chris Lawrence said.

Lawrence, who plays for the West Tigers in the National Rugby League competition, has played with some of Fijis players and rates them highly.

The Bati have been boosted with Australia-based players Puna Rasaubale Eloni Vunakece, Samu Wara, Suli Koroibulileka, and Ryan Millard.
Ive played with a few of them (Fiji Bati) and some against them. Ive played with Puna (Rasaubale) and Samu (Wara) and played against the others," Lawrence said.

Lawrence added that most of his players were using the tour to make the Australian side for the 2008 Rugby League World Cup.

Fiji skipper Alipate Tani said they held a lot of respect for their much-experienced opponents and were ready to take on the challenge.

The players have been training hard for the last two weeks and were looking forward to the match," Tani said.

The match kicks off at 7pm. At 6pm, the Canden Rams from Australia will play the Fiji Bati under-16 side. Tickets:$10, $5 ground and $3 for children.

The local boys are looking to make a big impression especially with the world cup next year," said the Mango Cowboys player.

All we have to do is believe in ourselves and play to our game plan. Size does not matter on the field.

nadera78

Juniors
Sounds like a great performance from a team almost entirely made up of local boys. Really, really peased for them and for the Fiji RL who have been doing some fantastic work over the last three years. Plus there are some big names like Ashton Sim and John Sutton still to come for the Bati.

One or two other nations might take a look at how to run the game in an emerging nation and not just rely on ancestral links.

crimpo

Juniors
A very fine effort by the Fijians - and an exciting game for the local fans to enjoy. Well done to all concerned

RLIF

Juniors
JUNIOR ROOS 15 FIJI 14

In one of the most courageous performances ever put on by an emerging league nation, a Bati squad including 14 players under 23 from the fledgling local league turned on a first half full of thunderous hits to lead big-money first graders Chris Lawrence, Michael Jennings, Lagi Setu and Will Chambers 14-4 with 24 minutes remaining at the National Stadium in Suva.

Fiji's coach and former South Sydney boss Arthur Kitinas predicted the video of last night's game would be the most sought-after in NRL scouting after his men only just failed to hang on for a famous victory, Moltzen landing the clincher with six minutes left.

Penrith's Jennings scored a crucial try in the 57th minute, Gold Coast prodigy Shannon Walker got the next and Wests Tigers' Lawrence had to convert in heavy rain to tie things up with 13 to go.

"You're not scared but you hate losing when you're wearing green and gold," Lawrence said.

Moltzen added: "It wasn't pretty but you've got the green and gold on and you just want to give a bit more."

The Bati, without big names like Wes Naiqama and Daryl Millard, featured just one NRL player in Bulldog Millard's brother Ryan, but they rocked the Australians for most of the game.

Before Jennings' try they had held the Junior Roos out for five consecutive sets only to knock on immediately they got the ball back. Another turning point was Queensland Cup grand final hero Walker knocking the ball from the grasp of Waisale Suka as he was 10 metres from scoring the winning try late in the game with no-one in front of him.

Tweed Heads' Walker made a mesmerizing 70-metre run past six defenders in the final two minutes.

Australian coach Matt Cameron was amazed by the Fijians' tenacity.

"We said that we didnt' think they could foot it with us over the whole eighty minutes," Cameron said.

"But to their credit, they stuck to their guns. Their line speed was inspirational."

Kitinis admitted: "I was surprised that they kept going. I don't know where they got the energy from."

The Junior Kangaroos go to Nakualofa this morning and play Tonga on Wednesday before taking part in the curtain-raiser to next Sunday's trans-Tasman Test in Wellington.

JUNIOR KANGAROOS 15 (T Williams, M Jennings, S Walker tries; C Lawrence goal; T Moltzen field goal) FIJI 14 (A Aditagane, M Ravi, E Dolodai tries; A Tani goal) at National Stadium, Suva. Referee: B Cummins

Coastbloke

Bench
That is really good news...

With PNG doing well wit their PMXIII match and Fiji really working on their game, it bodes well for the WC...

Fiji are playing a European nation at Bluetongue Stadium in Gosford on a Wednesday night, so I think I'll be taking a day off work so I will be sure to make it...

Good stuff boys...!!

The Tank

Bench
Good stuff. Well done Fiji! It's great to see so many of their squad were under 23 years old. Hopefully some NRL scouts sign up a couple.

hutch

First Grade
cmon rlif. lets get fiji v png on! does anyone know if they have ever played each other?

roopy

Referee
It looks like Fiji were well under maximum strength too. None of their big names there.

thommo4pm

Coach
I just don't understand why the ARL does not want to stage matches between Australia, PNG, Fiji, Tonga etc....
Imagine a 4 way series between these teams at the end of the season.
Give PNG, Fiji and Tonga more exposure to Australia.

The result above is outstanding for Fiji.

Somebody at the ARL/RLIF needs to show some common sense and get a regular series under way between these nations.

And if Australia don't want to be involved then let PNG, Fiji, Tonga, Samoa & Cooks have it.
It does need Aust or NZ though involved to gain exposure to start with.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
We are really lucky we won, congrats on the Fiji boys.
I think it is time we had an RLP/OF (Rugby League Pacific/Oceania Federation) and a Pacific Cup so these guys can get more exposure. A Pacific Cup would be great too!

yakstorm

First Grade
The best part of Fiji being competitive in this match is it gets rid of the ARL's fear, and one of the major reasons why the Jnr Roos haven't visited Fiji before, that it would be an uncompetitive fixture.

Hopefully it will mean if nothing else, the Jnr Roos will play Fiji every year from no one, just like they play the Kiwis.

thommo4pm

Coach
I can't see why the Jnr Roos and Jnr All Blacks or make an Aust A and NZ A play a pacific cup tournament against the countries we have stated.
Aust A
NZ A
Fiji
PNG
Tonga
Cooks (maybe)
Samoa
USA(possibly)

run this inconjunction with a northern hemisphere tournament involving
England
France
Ireland
Wales
Scotland
Russia
Lebanon

There is your international schedule for the end of each season.
7 teams per hemisphere.
Throw in the Tri or uad Nations every second year and a world cup every 4-5 years and all of a sudden players are not looking at Union as a chance to represent their country on a global scale, we have it right here with League.
Just a thought.

roopy

Referee
The obvious sides to play for Aus and NZ in a Pacific cup are Aus Aboriginal and NZ Maori.
Both would be just the right strength to be equal to the PI sides and both have a strong tradition and ready made fan base.

nadera78

Juniors
I'd like to see an organised schedule where the RLWC is every four years, and also Euro and Pacific Cups held in between, again on a four year cycle.

If they wanted to they could organise the Pacific Cup so that Aus and NZ go straight through to the semi-finals, and the others play one another to make it through to meet them. Maori or Aboriginal sides might be good for competitiveness but they won't bring any sponsors in and few fans. In fact Aus could play a warm up game against Maori and NZ against the Aboriginies, while the main qualifying matches are taking place.

Latest posts