What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joe Switching to 5/8

Meanie

Juniors
I remember in 2005 seeing Inglis put up the biggest bomb I've ever seen. I think he's got a potentially far better kicking game than Gasnier, and Smith and Cronk will do most of the kicking anyways.

Raider_69

Post Whore
im not game enough to say the kid wont make it as a 5/8th, as champion players like him tend to make fools of people in that respect, lockyer is prime example

ill watch on in keen interest, could be anything from a brillient failure to just plain brillient

Nightward

Juniors
Yep. Bellamy learnt everything he knows from Bennet.

"Ah, hell. I need a five-eighth. I know! I'll move my fullback! Why are you all looking at me like that?"

Seriously, though, who knows how this will work out? Inglis hasn't had reason to display any kicking skills yet, though I think he has kicked downfield a few times without looking like a complete incompetant. As others have said, he's young and has only just been put in this position, so give the expiriment a little more time.

The only real downside I see is that at five-eighth he'll be a lot more exposed to opposing forwards. As with Lockyer, Tate, and Thurston they will attempt to bash him out of the game.

_Johnsy

Referee
Huge question marks over this switch, the same huge question marks I have over gaz's move to the #6.

LESStar58

Referee
Cronk and Smith will do the kicking obviously.

As for Ingliss....well, he could play just about anywhere couldn't he. I like the move but time will tell if its a wise move or not.

eels_fan_01

Bench
To me this is a stupid move. I think hes better agaisnt smaller opponents in attack often when he comes inside to fowards he isnt as effective in my opinion although he has beaten many fowards just think hes better agaisnt smaller opponents. Havent seen him do many good passes or kicks either.

Disco

Bench
It really is quite a concern, that there is a lack of genuine quality 5/8 around, i mean it looks like we'll have Lyon, Gasnier and Inglis all at 5/8 next year whilt the best in the game in Lockyer got shifted from fullback

Sutton and Anasta are both more suited to lock, Finch is being shifted from half as is Carney, as was Burns and Campbell. Ropati is a makeshift 5/8 and i dont even know who is playing there for the Panthers

Benji, Mullen and Holdsworth look it in terms of decent Genuine 5/8s (dykes is crap)

Charlie124

First Grade
I think its a great move, Bellamy seems to know what he's doing down there and i doubt he would just move Inglis for the hell of it. Will be a lot more succesful than Gasnier IMO.

smeghead

Bench
Well it will be interesting to see how he goes.

Just my opinion is that it will stilt some of his attack because as has been said his size really ceases to be an advantage when running plays at a set line towards the centre of the field.

The other question that begs to be asked is where will he be played in defence. I am not questioning the kids ability but is his fitness level up to having play after play ran at him at an NRL level?

Godz Illa

Coach
People are very rigid and strict about player's roles and what they can or can't do, especially pertaining to the number on their backs. Which, imo, is bollocks.
Inglis and Gasnier - we're talking about two blistering talents - the absolute elite of our game. Both of them can handle added responsibilities and roles with ease. Good luck to them, it'd be great for the game if they both succeed.

ps - Joe... lame nickname. Gringlis was much better.

Shorty

Staff member
The good thing about this is he has plenty of talent in the Storm to help him out and through it

Whats Doing

Bench
Inglis would have to have one of the longest kicking games in the NRL. I remember watching him play for the Australian schoolboys against the Brits and he kicked a line drop out 65 metres on the full and it ended up going into touch 15 metres out. Unbelievable. He was also the sides kicker and was putting them over from all over the place including 2 from the sideline.

Haven't seen his short kicking game but he is just a gifted footballer.

Anyone who says he cannot kick do not know his background and will eat their words.

Notswithstanding his kicking game, I think he is better suited out in the centres or fullback.

Latest posts