What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joel Thompson wants back at Canberra.

Cruisin_Dugan

Juniors
"Canberra general manager Don Furner on Friday confirmed that he’d been told of Thompson’s desire to return to the ACT several weeks ago. Thompson left the Raiders last October to take-up a three-year deal at St George Illawarra worth around $1.2 million. He stressed the move was family related, but Dragons officials said his partner and newborn child are now living in Canberra.

Furner said the club was open to welcoming Thompson back, but could not accommodate him prior to the 30 June deadline."

Daily Telegraph.

Thoughts?

Family related issues aside, I think he is struggling to fit in at the Dragons. Hadn't been the player we thought we were getting from the Raiders but it in time could well be great for us, especially now that we have two quality halves which keep the defence guessing and opening up holes for his hard line running.

Craig93

Juniors
He hasn't played the footy I thought he would might explain why having other things on his mind.

BrissyRedV

Bench
I hope this is all false. I like Thompson. I think given time he would become very valuable to us. The question is, if he goes, who can we replace him with? There isn't a lot of quality backrowers on the market especially if we miss out on Proctor and Sims. Our halves will be sorted but we are already lacking in the forward pack.

Weipa Dragon

Juniors
Yeah kids do that to the best of sportspeople. Look at federer and Hewitt. We're top of their game until kids; then look at Kelly slater who hasn't had much of a family life and won twelve surfing titles. I think I'd rather the kids.

Would be a Shame to lose joel; I thought he was starting to show good signs.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Maybe if Canberra are happy to deal and he wants to go back, perhaps a trade. Paul Vaughn maybe? Shannon Boyd?

mightydragon

Juniors
It was put to him on Twitter if he was on the outer at the Dragons and he replied " rubbish.. I'm on no outer haha"

jenninga

First Grade
I hope this is all false. I like Thompson. I think given time he would become very valuable to us. The question is, if he goes, who can we replace him with? There isn't a lot of quality backrowers on the market especially if we miss out on Proctor and Sims. Our halves will be sorted but we are already lacking in the forward pack.

Perhaps this might explain our supposed interest in Proctor and Sims.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Perhaps this might explain our supposed interest in Proctor and Sims.

If it is the case and Joel wants to return to Canberra, I hope Doust has done all he can to get Proctor to us then. He would be invaluable if it were the case.

_Johnsy

Referee
If he doesn't want to be here & his wife & children are in Canberra, let the bloke leave. Canberra will have to pay 100% of his contract I'd imagine. I can't see how this deal would adversely affect us in a financial capacity or any other way TBH. Should free up some $$$ to chase a prop.

Twenty10

Juniors
He won't be with us next year. He's been on the nose. Coach and team mates aren't happy with how he has performed. And I'm led to believe he's on over 350k. He should be released and we should sign Sims and another forward.

BennyV

Referee
If he leaves, we definitely need to land Proctor, then still go searching for a prop...still think that TSims would work as a prop, love to see forward pack of Merrin, Rein/Garvey, SIM, Proctor, Friz, DeBelin

Jubileeboy

First Grade
He won't be with us next year. He's been on the nose. Coach and team mates aren't happy with how he has performed. And I'm led to believe he's on over 350k. He should be released and we should sign Sims and another forward.

Yeah, pretty sure I heard $400k pa

This might explain his lacklustre performances. If there is any truth to this story let the bloke go, no point keeping someone who doesn't want to be there. Homesickness affects people in varying ways, some deal with it, some just simply cannot.

bottle

Coach
Apparently Proctor good mates with Gareth.
The man with the inside running on the story could be GaryW.

Last edited:
Hope not I really like Thompson, was a fan when he was at Canberra too but if like stated its a family issue then let him go not fair to anybody really