What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joey backs Mullen to be a hit again

Serc

First Grade
Joey backs Mullen to be a hit again
  • By Barry Toohey
  • August 08, 2010 12:01AM
016523-jarrod-mullen.jpg

Back on top...Jarrod Mullen. Source: The Daily Telegraph

ANDREW Johns noticed the change in Jarrod Mullen's game a month ago.
Initially, they were subtle differences.
The long cut-out passes and trick-shot banana kicks, desperation plays as Johns calls them, had disappeared.
So, too, the indecision and panic football that had punctuated his performances and that of the Knights for a large chunk of the season.
The most powerful weapon in his arsenal - his running game - was back and he was looking more relaxed and more measured.
But Johns says the most compelling difference came when Mullen didn't have the football in his hands.
"It was in the way he was defending," Johns says. "That was the most noticeable and significant change for me. He was suddenly playing tougher. Hitting harder. Driving into tackles with his shoulder and putting his body on the line.
"That's what I noticed most with Jarrod. There were great signs just in that part of his game that he'd turned a corner with his form and confidence."
When Mullen delivered his man of the match heroics in the Knights' win against Manly last Monday night, it came as no great surprise to his mentor and former champion Newcastle halfback.
"His form earlier in the year probably reflected the team's, but he's been building towards it for sure. It was great to see. I was happy for him," Johns said.
If there has been a question about Mullen and his ability to emerge from his days as a teenage talent who played State of Origin for NSW as a 20-year-old, it's always been about his mental toughness.
His skill and work ethic have never been questioned. But his reaction to pressure situations and his body language when things haven't gone as planned has been an anchor. He can be intense. Sometimes too intense for his own good.
"I'm my own harshest critic," Mullen said. "I guess I was brought up that way, but in this game, you have to take the bad with the good and move on. I know that. I'm understanding that more and more. It's something I've worked on. A few of the boys and Stoney [coach Rick Stone] have spoken to me about that side of my game.
"Joey's talked about it, too, and I've been working pretty hard with Andrew Dunemann [assistant coach]. But I'm still learning. Learning how to prepare myself properly for games, that type of thing."
Mullen is closing in on 100 NRL games for the Knights, but it's easy to forget he is still only 23.
It's also easy to underestimate the intense pressure on a young bloke who stepped into the void left by the retirement of a league legend. Former Knights coach Michael Hagan says that pressure should never be discounted.
"The expectation still on Jarrod from the town is right up there and he cops his fair share of criticism on the back of that," Hagan says.
"But a lot of the criticism comes because people know what he is capable of and I'm sure Jarrod's probably a bit disappointed in what he delivered during the early part of this season.
"But he looks to have his confidence back. He's engaging the line more and his kicking game against Manly was first class. The signs are good."
Mullen will look to build on his late season run when the Knights take on the Bulldogs at EnergyAustralia Stadium Sunday afternoon. If they chalk up another win, it's a fair bet Mullen will have a lot to do with it.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...o-be-a-hit-again/story-e6frexnr-1225902488993

Johns Magic

Referee
Ha yeah I read this article this morning, but didn't want to post it to jinx him before the game today.

He lived up to it.

Serc

First Grade
rofl yeah I spotted it too...but ended up doing something else and didn't see it again until now, probably a good thing :)

Would love to see our forwards give him and Gidley and whoever else we have doing the playmaking next season the platform they deserve. The last two weeks have shown that we aren't too terrible a team when a few things go right (eg: Mullen's form) though of course I don't think we'll escape some of our problems in the forwards over the final month.

Serc our biggest criticism all up has been the lack of ambition and backbone the boys have displayed and all of a sudden they play to their potential and they smash two would be premiership favourites in consecutive weeks. We have a ridiculously hard draw to finish the season. There is a first by the NRL! Warriors away, Broncs at home, St George at home and melbourne away. If we were to win all of those then we have been geeing up from day one. Then in an irony only our club could bring to life we would probably be the form team of the comp and yet miss the finals. Only in Newy! I hope like hell that the Dragons need to beat us to win the minor premiership and we beat them at home on old boys day. To me that would be our 2010 grand final. I think that game will be a near sell out, the broncos game will go close as well, and the good old days may just be about to return to EAS.

Last edited:

hugzy

Juniors
it's alright, if the boys can take the same mentality into next year i'd be very happy (not sure if it'll happen though)

Latest posts