What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joey considering Origin come back

Stranger

Coach
Raider_69 said:
definitely merit to that, logically it makes sence, but as i said, i dont think NSW have much hope this year, so if the best performing half is not a long term option, then id still take a gamble on a young bloke
I think we have a good chance. NSW have a far superior forward pack IMO. Their backs are very talented and will be Boosted with Mini at fullback instead of the flyweight Hodgson. Cooper, Gaz, Tahu, Growth, and the odd back that i missed, i see the only place we were will struggle against QLD is in the halves. If the NSW pack eventually picks up its aggression we could throw in a Youngster and have a very good shot IMO.

Charlie124 said:
count me out there, id love nothing more than to see Joey run out this Origin series and ruin his fairytale while losing what little credibility he had left. :D

As a footballer he has all the credibility;-). He only loses it off the field;-)

Charlie124

First Grade
Stranger said:
As a footballer he has all the credibility;-). He only loses it off the field;-)

I dunno, screaming "You f**king merkin" at the ref/touch judge when a call goes against him and then stepping down as captain so he doesn't have to talk to them anymore just screams "7yr old child having a tantrum" to me.

I don't deny that he had the skills of a great player, but i can't respect a thing about him, especially his status as one of the sorest losers in the game. To me a true champion is one that can not only play the game well, but also be gracefull in defeat, not finding someone else to blame all the time.

Stranger

Coach
I dunno, screaming "You f**king merkin" at the ref/touch judge when a call goes against him and then stepping down as captain so he doesn't have to talk to them anymore just screams "7yr old child having a tantrum" to me.
In a way you are right. Can't disagree with the first part, but the stepping down of captain was a smart decision IMO. If he can't talk to them, and he has obviously shown that he can't, why not let someone else do it? I don't see its as a tantrum, more of a 'keeping his hands out of the fire' sorta thing.

As far as skills go, i have seen none better and the way i see it is they are getting paid to play football and thats why i think he is a champion. The sun doesn't shine out of his ass and off the field he may be a dick, but i don't personally know the bloke so its not really any of my buisness. All IMO of course.

Charlie124

First Grade
Stranger said:
If he can't talk to them, and he has obviously shown that he can't, why not let someone else do it?

Because a captain should be able to contain himself enough to talk to the officials himself, and a Champion (captain or not) should be able to accept defeat gracefully, not sook like a child, especially a player with the status of Johns.

For me he will always be that guy who throws his mouthguard on the ground and puts his hands on his hips or suddenly devellops a limp when losing, he'll always be that guy who avoided the press conference when his team (which he is meant to be the leader of) comes off a flogging only to be informed that he left the stadium immediately after the game, leaving his fans (who were there to celebrate him becoming the games highest points scorer) wondering where he was.

As good as his actual skills were on the football field, he is a terrible sportsman and someone i wouldnt want my kids looking up to as an idol (which is a quality i think is essential in a "Champion")

All of this is my opinion of course, no doubt those south of the border (and some up here also) probably don't share this opinion, which is fine.

Stranger

Coach
In parts, i cant disagree with what you say, but as a captain he knows hes going to give that stupid penalty or get throwin in the bin when he loses his block, so it is his duty as captain to step down. IMO Matty had the brains out of the 2 and would have made a far better captain, but Andrew had the skills and the players want to follow his lead. His childish antics and all that jazz has over-shaddow what has made him the best league player in the world and possibly ever IMO.

As i said, you don't touch a fire unless you want to get burned. Johns stepped down from captaincy in effect taking his hand out of the fire. He needs less media and more football.

Cougar3

Juniors
Stranger said:
Johns being in the team will stop then shining thats for sure :roll:

Pick the best team thats available. He is the best so if hes available he isn't holding back any talented NSW players. You don't pick a SOO team in preparation for the years later you pick a SOO team on the basis of the next game.

Spot on Stranger.

Cougar3

Juniors
Charlie124 said:
Because a captain should be able to contain himself enough to talk to the officials himself, and a Champion (captain or not) should be able to accept defeat gracefully, not sook like a child, especially a player with the status of Johns.

For me he will always be that guy who throws his mouthguard on the ground and puts his hands on his hips or suddenly devellops a limp when losing, he'll always be that guy who avoided the press conference when his team (which he is meant to be the leader of) comes off a flogging only to be informed that he left the stadium immediately after the game, leaving his fans (who were there to celebrate him becoming the games highest points scorer) wondering where he was.

As good as his actual skills were on the football field, he is a terrible sportsman and someone i wouldnt want my kids looking up to as an idol (which is a quality i think is essential in a "Champion")

All of this is my opinion of course, no doubt those south of the border (and some up here also) probably don't share this opinion, which is fine.

Hmmmm first "tallented" [sic], then "devellops" [sic]. If you are indicative of Queensland literacy it is hard to imagine that you will even know Johns is in the side if handed the team sheets without photos.

Shorty

Staff member
Yeah and that shows your intelligence....picking on spelling errors instead of actually contributing to the conversation..

Charlie124

First Grade
Cowgirl86 said:
Yeah and that shows your intelligence....picking on spelling errors instead of actually contributing to the conversation..

Couldn't have said it better myself, some people either have nothing better to do or simply aren't capable of contributing anything worthwhile to a conversation. I'm guessing this fool is a little from both columns.

Cowgirl86 said:
& if there was any doubts about Cougar3 being brainless ,then his support of union in TFC confirms it.