What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joey Interview Your Thoughts

St. Brett

Juniors
I only have one more thing to say on this matter.

I, myself, suffer from some form of depression with highs and lows like a manic depressive. As well the Dr mentioned something about a little thing called schizophrenia.

Now, I don't take any illegal substances whatsoever.
I know that life's not one big party everyday. I don't go in search of a high. I don't need it.

People who meet me assume that I'm a junkie 'cause I'm so down.

When I see the likes of this guy it makes me mad that he lives a lie like this.

Why did he lead us astray all these years then?

Does it come down to Australia as a country?

Are we too proud when it comes to our manhood?

Is it the man thing to do to go to the pub and swear and hide your feelings and sh*t like that?
See, we can't speak out against sh*t like this or we'll be seen as pussies.

Let me tell you this....when I sit in that doctors chair and tell him how I hear voices and other stuff I'm belittled and it lets me know how small I am in life.
As soon as I leave his office I have my tail between my legs and it takes me months to rebuild my confidence.
Nobody wants to admit that they're a head case who hurt easy.
We have to be seen as tough and Aussie.
I guess this then becomes a image thing then.
It's a circle loop like a round-a-bout.

StormChaser

First Grade
Thanks for sharing that St Brett. The thing that got to me about the interview is that he didn't look sorry or remorseful at all. He looked like a petulant schoolboy who had been hauled before the principal and was almost smirking at times.

St Brett, You obviously have a medical condition, but you're not using it as an excuse to take drugs. I think Joey is.

perverse

Referee
StormChaser said:
Thanks for sharing that St Brett. The thing that got to me about the interview is that he didn't look sorry or remorseful at all. He looked like a petulant schoolboy who had been hauled before the principal and was almost smirking at times.

St Brett, You obviously have a medical condition, but you're not using it as an excuse to take drugs. I think Joey is.
experienced depression and self medication before have you?

St. Brett

Juniors
Storm Chaser

Personaly...my life is embarrassing.

I'm awaiting the day for this to just go away as I've lived with it my entire life. It doesn't leave you.

The medication they put you on makes you fat and makes you want to not be there. (hard to explain)

I don't ask anyone to feel sorry for me or cry me a river all I ask in life is to leave me alone.

Leave me be. Don't question me. Don't pressure me.

My Dad uses it to humiliate me.

There are days when I could break glass with my fists it's so bad.
The littlest things people say to me can be misconstrued the wrong way and set me off.

Adrenalin mixed with shattered fragile emotions can cause muderous intensions.

And hey it's embarrassing to admit that you're an emotional wreck.

When it all boils down I live a life of shame and embarrassment.

Because this guy's in the spotlight it makes it much worse as he doesn't have a personal life.
His secrets become f**king Women's Day readers secrets.
But he's gone in search for cheap highs to achieve a few hours of manufactured happyness.
The come downs for him must be extremely hard.

Is Johns a weak character for hiding behind this tough footy bloke image?

borat

Bench
Johns admitting this only confirms what was common knowledge around newcastle at least for years. Its a sad thing for someone with everything to become an addict.

But for the worlds best player and hyped immortal to be taking drugs for his whole career I am more interested in the people who turned a blind eye on a person with a serious drug problem to instead ride the gravy train of his success.

Knights team mates
Board and administration - I would expect Harrogan to fall on his sword today
The media - DT and inparticular the Newcastle Herald
NRL admin and drug testing procedures.

St. Brett

Juniors
Borat?

Can you answer me one little thing?

Are you a normal human?
Have you achieved lifes goal?
Are you happy 24/7?
Do you have flaws?
What is lifes goal?
When are we content?
What's a forfilled life?
What's the pinnacle of life?
What is the ultimate goal in life to achieve eternal happyness?
How do you attain this miracle?
Is it having sex? Is it the birth of a child? Is it flying in a plane?
Is it good health?
When are we forfilled in life?
What makes us special and higher in other peoples eyes that they look up to you as inspiration?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
borat said:
Johns admitting this only confirms what was common knowledge around newcastle at least for years. Its a sad thing for someone with everything to become an addict.

But for the worlds best player and hyped immortal to be taking drugs for his whole career I am more interested in the people who turned a blind eye on a person with a serious drug problem to instead ride the gravy train of his success.

Knights team mates
Board and administration - I would expect Harrogan to fall on his sword today
The media - DT and inparticular the Newcastle Herald
NRL admin and drug testing procedures.

Basically what it comes down is the fact that he was the best player in the game, and the team (in fact the club) was built around him. As long is it didn't hit the heaadlines and didn't actually impact his on-field performances then the club would have turned a blind eye. And he's not the only one, there are plenty of high-profile players who'd be doing the same right now, in fact it extends beyond sport into most walks of life. As long as it's not affecting an employee's on the job performance or embarassing the organisation, most employers will ignore that kind of stuff from a valuable employee.

borat

Bench
St. Brett said:
Borat?

Can you answer me one little thing?

Are you a normal human?
Have you achieved lifes goal?
Are you happy 24/7?
Do you have flaws?
What is lifes goal?
When are we content?
What's a forfilled life?
What's the pinnacle of life?
What is the ultimate goal in life to achieve eternal happyness?
How do you attain this miracle?
Is it having sex? Is it the birth of a child? Is it flying in a plane?
Is it good health?
When are we forfilled in life?
What makes us special and higher in other peoples eyes that they look up to you as inspiration?

Why the f**k would I answer your questions Brett. seriously

borat

Bench
SpaceMonkey said:
Basically what it comes down is the fact that he was the best player in the game, and the team (in fact the club) was built around him. As long is it didn't hit the heaadlines and didn't actually impact his on-field performances then the club would have turned a blind eye. And he's not the only one, there are plenty of high-profile players who'd be doing the same right now, in fact it extends beyond sport into most walks of life. As long as it's not affecting an employee's on the job performance or embarassing the organisation, most employers will ignore that kind of stuff from a valuable employee.

Johns has said he had suffered depression while taking drugs. This is a person with some serious issues that all and sundry have ignored to their own gain because Johns helped them win matches.

What if Johns had of harmed himself. Its not too much of a stretch from a depression suffering drug addict. Its unforgivable what the Kinights have done to standby and let someone destroy themselves knowingly.

Knight87

Juniors
had he not been caught in the first place? That is the question I ask you people on the forum and also the question I wish Phil Gould would've asked Joey last night

St. Brett

Juniors
Borat

I'm sorry I asked in the first place.

You're too proud as a Knights fan I guess.

See, this is one of the problems with todays society.

We tolerate drugs and murderous behaviour.

We tolerate it because we've become weak as a country.

I'm immune to all you dick heads around me who take drugs and guzzle alcohol.

I wish you would all just drop dead and leave me in peace as I can't tolerate you bozzo yobbos.

You're the scurge of the Earth and I hate being next to you.

~Out!~

smeghead

Bench
Can you send back your interest in the NRL like you sent back you Newcastle jersey to the club St Brett.

Cheers

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
borat said:
Johns has said he had suffered depression while taking drugs. This is a person with some serious issues that all and sundry have ignored to their own gain because Johns helped them win matches.

What if Johns had of harmed himself. Its not too much of a stretch from a depression suffering drug addict. Its unforgivable what the Kinights have done to standby and let someone destroy themselves knowingly.

Did the club know of his depression? If he was just regularly going out with the lads and having a good time and dropping the odd pinger, the club wouldn't have had any idea that he had a problem with depression.

perverse

Referee
SpaceMonkey said:
Did the club know of his depression? If he was just regularly going out with the lads and having a good time and dropping the odd pinger, the club wouldn't have had any idea that he had a problem with depression.
didn't he say that club doctors and a professor in sydney diagnosed him with the depression?

Paullyboy

Coach
As was mentioned by someone earlier in this thread - this whole interview reaked of damage control. It comes back to the old question:

Is he sorry for doing it, or sorry for getting caught.

I'd put every cent I own on the second of the two.

(I should also add, I couldnt give a stuff what drugs people put into their bodies - it's their lives they can f*ck it up if they want to. If it was performance enhancing he would have been cheating which is different, but this is an individual just being stupid).

borat

Bench
SpaceMonkey said:

There's your answer Spacemonkey.

Anyone in the administration of the Knights who knew about this and did nothing has to go, surely. To stand by and potentially let someone destroy themselves because he is worth a considerable amount of money to the organistaion is just despicable.

perverse

Referee
borat said:
There's your answer Spacemonkey.

Anyone in the administration of the Knights who knew about this and did nothing has to go, surely. To stand by and potentially let someone destroy themselves because he is worth a considerable amount of money to the organistaion is just despicable.
indeed - you're correct. i don't know if it has been brought up.. but does anyone else think that there could be a little more behind the player cleanout than meets the eye? it's certainly casting doubt in my mind, and i'm sure the telecrap will be all over this angle soon whether there is merit in it or not.

Latest posts