What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joey or Thurston, who is GOAT?

King hit

Coach
Fitler - talented, played in team of rep players in a era of much a more flee flowing game

Thurston - talented, carried his team to a higher level in a much tougher stop start game

TBH they're on par for me I guess

When Fittler joined the Roosters they were a battling club that had no success for about a decade. Under his leadership they became a powerhouse.

MilkShark

First Grade
When Fittler joined the Roosters they were a battling club that had no success for about a decade. Under his leadership they became a powerhouse.
Yeah fair enough, I can hardly remember. I just looked up some teams he was in and they looked good, they may have been at the end of his career though.

On raw talent, filter is better. Thurston achieved so much on his competitiveness, talented still, but prob not on filters level.

King hit

Coach
As a captain Fittler is also alongside Wally Lewis and Cameron Smith as the only man to captain 2 Origin cleansweeps and 2 World Cup victories respectively

Dr Sbaitso

Juniors
I’m sorry but how is Thurston even mentioned as a GOAT besides Joey? No comparison, thread should be John’s or Lockyer??? Thurston was poo compared to both plus a hell of a lot other halves. Mortimer, Sterling, Kenny, The King, Walters, Langer.....Thurston was no where near the above guys in terms of a goat. The merkin laughs like a goat....that’s about as goaty he can get.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Fitler - talented, played in team of rep players in a era of much a more free flowing game

Thurston - talented, carried his team to a higher level in a much tougher stop start game

TBH they're on par for me I guess
Fittler arguably achieved just as much, if not more in 9 seasons at the Roosters than JT did in 14 seasons at the Cowboys.

1 Premiership each but Freddy took the Roosters to 4 GFs compared to JTs 2 (they even made a GF without him).

Freddy also won a Minor Prem and never came close to missing the finals.

There are of course aspects where JT had it over Freddy. He was more consistent, better in clutch situations and had arguably the best short kicking game I've ever seen.

But Freddy was a much better defender, had a better long passing game and a better running game (the best running game of any half I've seen easily).

He scored 91 tries in 217 games at the Roosters; which as a strike rate in the halves leaves the likes of JT, Lockyer, Johns and Daley in his wake.

He really was a force of nature and is JTs equal imo yet he doesn't rate a mention in the media.

This isn't an attempt to denigrate JT who is absolutely a future Immortal imo and easily in the top echelon of players I've seen. And I'm obviously biased being a Roosters fan.

So I can accept an argument that JT was better but I'm just highlighting that by every metric Brad Fittler belongs in the same company.

His dominance at both club and rep level was immense but he bizarrely gets ignored as though he was Matt Orford ffs.

Last edited:

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
Fittler arguably achieved just as much, if not more in 9 seasons at the Roosters than JT did in 14 seasons at the Cowboys.

1 Premiership each but Freddy took the Roosters to 4 GFs compared to JTs 2 (they even made a GF without him).

Freddy also won a Minor Prem and never came close to missing the finals.

There are of course aspects where JT had it over Freddy. He was more consistent, better in clutch situations and had arguably the best short kicking game I've ever seen.

But Freddy was a much better defender, had a better long passing game and a better running game (the best running game of any half I've seen easily).

He scored 91 tries in 217 games at the Roosters; which as a strike rate in the halves leaves the likes of JT, Lockyer, Johns and Daley in his wake.

He really was a force of nature and is JTs equal imo yet he doesn't rate a mention in the media.

This isn't an attempt to denigrate JT who is absolutely a future Immortal imo and easily in the top echelon of players I've seen. And I'm obviously biased being a Roosters fan.

So I can accept an argument that JT was better but I'm just highlighting that by every metric Brad Fittler belongs in the same company.

His dominance at both club and rep level was immense but he bizarrely gets ignored as though he was Matt Orford ffs.

I'd like to see how good JT's record with be if he had Nick Politis putting talent around him.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I’m sorry but how is Thurston even mentioned as a GOAT besides Joey? No comparison, thread should be John’s or Lockyer??? Thurston was poo compared to both plus a hell of a lot other halves. Mortimer, Sterling, Kenny, The King, Walters, Langer.....Thurston was no where near the above guys in terms of a goat. The merkin laughs like a goat....that’s about as goaty he can get.
indeed Thurston was a level below all those players. He was a bench player at the same age Joey was playing for Australia and won a Premiership as halfback. Thurston is a media beat up for clickbait.

typicalfan

Coach
Not entirely true, Easts had some decent years and some down ones no doubt but the Roosters didn't really get the absolute best out of Freddy until he retired from rep footy. I know in the late 90s he had a reputation for going missing in games although no doubt he played well in the big games. Greg Inglis I guess has that same reputation.

I can't see how someone would put Locky ahead of JT, in what way exactly? Locky was a clutch player but JT took that to the next level.

Not entirely true, Easts had some decent years and some down ones no doubt but the Roosters didn't really get the absolute best out of Freddy until he retired from rep footy. I know in the late 90s he had a reputation for going missing in games although no doubt he played well in the big games. Greg Inglis I guess has that same reputation.

I can't see how someone would put Locky ahead of JT, in what way exactly? Locky was a clutch player but JT took that to the next level.

What!? No. Not even close to true.