What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joey risks his future

Phillips

Referee
what a joke.

Johns should be able to play for whatever team he wants. (all this its either Australia or England is bullsh*t)

if he has too miss the first test, then so be it.

bartman

Immortal
Do you mean that if he doesn't come back for the test v NZ that he won't be picked for the games held in England. Interesting...

Given he's said that he's retiring from rep footy after 2006 Origin, will he care too much? Warrington will only know for sure if they have made the grand final after the game before on the Friday night - if they get through that far and win.

If that case Joey would only have 8 days to organise a ticket and flight home, not to mention being in camp with the Aussie team... But if Warrington get beat in the first or second week of the finals (and so don't make the final three), he'll have enough time to come home.

So as long as Warrington keep winning, I reckon Joey will choose the 10K pounds per game over playing for Australia? Question is who will get the Aussie halfback spot in his absence...

bartman

Immortal
Also, the league taking that stance would pretty much rule out any Aussie playing overseas ever being picked in any test teams - such as the Darren Smith "precedent" or the current Jamie Lyon "situation"...

nqboy

First Grade
Disagree. Anyone who wants to put their club, their only loyalty to which is money, before playing for the Roos in the TS final is retired from rep footy for mine.

aussies1st

Staff member
This puts pride in the Aussie jersey. We don't want our jersey to follow the route of the kiwis where players pick oversea club over their country.

bartman

Immortal
It's a world game now - or at least we are trying for it to be. Look at soccer, so many top players playing for clubs in countries other than that of their birth... Australia is out on a limb in the league world on this.

Eventually maybe the Leagues will get their schedules in sync with each other so players aren't forced to make the choice - an end of year rep season could be clearly separate from all domestic competitions? It isn't that hard to do.

The Colonel

Immortal
Its simple - if he wants the Australian jersey he makes himself available. If he wants to play for Warrington then he doesn't get picked - pretty easy. As good as he is I don't think he should be able to pick and chosse when he can and can't play.

The Colonel said:
Its simple - if he wants the Australian jersey he makes himself available. If he wants to play for Warrington then he doesn't get picked - pretty easy. As good as he is I don't think he should be able to pick and chosse when he can and can't play.

Why on earth not everyone has goals that they wont to achieve and this is a goal of a player thats given his all for over a decade to the NRL if he wants to miss one test match to achieve something then I really dont see a problem.

The Colonel

Immortal
If he has his goals then he needs to weigh up which is more important - an English premiership or playing for his country. If he isn't available for the first game then tough bickies.....

But gee's its one test match I could understand people being dirty if he was missing the entire tri-nations to play in the comp but one test aint exactly the end of the world.

If Lockyer retains captaincy its a joke Joey absolutely made him look like a neville, he had nothing in answer in SOO.

smeghead

Bench
I am sick of this Andrew Johns being bigger than the game. His salary debacle, the fiasco with maybe going to union. Braith Anasta was a pariah for doing it but thank god we saved Joey. As evidenced last year Australia dont need him to win a Tri Nations series.
Make your choice and live with it boy.

The Colonel

Immortal
Knight82 said:
But gee's its one test match I could understand people being dirty if he was missing the entire tri-nations to play in the comp but one test aint exactly the end of the world.

It is one Test match but it creates a precedent. If you allow it for one you have to allow for everyone else....... if he wants to play in England, good luck but you miss selection for Tests.

Mr Saab

Referee
Knight82 said:

If Lockyer retains captaincy its a joke Joey absolutely made him look like a neville, he had nothing in answer in SOO.

you are a DEAD SET NEVILLE.

awwwwww poor joey should be captain...he outplayed Lockyer (not that that means anything when it comes to who is captain) yet Johns wants to miss a test match to play in a mickey mouse comp!!!!!
And you want him to be captain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! J O K E

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
The Colonel said:
They'd increase a fair bit with Johns in the side.....

Joeys good but they have been playing as a team all year, and in comes the new kid on the block to try and learn all the moves and gel with his backline all within a short period of time, not to mention its ESL not NRL.

I could see Joey haveing an effect in half a season or so, but in a few weeks will be pretty hard imo.

hrundi99

First Grade
nqboy said:
Disagree. Anyone who wants to put their club, their only loyalty to which is money, before playing for the Roos in the TS final is retired from rep footy for mine.

I completely disagree. The club pays them their salary, which keeps them and their family fed, clothed and sheltered. Besides that, they are with their club for a lot longer than they are in any rep camp, and clubs tend to have more allegiance to them.

When Mal won the GF in 89 he said it was more important than playing for AUS or QLD, and I agree with him.

Mr Saab

Referee
Mal did NOT say that.
Mal said "this is whats its all about" in reference to that there was no better feeling in league...winning a comp.
Dont twist his words

The Colonel

Immortal
Twizzle said:
Joeys good but they have been playing as a team all year, and in comes the new kid on the block to try and learn all the moves and gel with his backline all within a short period of time, not to mention its ESL not NRL.

I could see Joey haveing an effect in half a season or so, but in a few weeks will be pretty hard imo.

He would still add a lot to a team regardless. He may take a little time to find his feet but he is good enough to make a difference to a teams chances.