What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John Bateman

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
My vote for post/tweet of the year..

So did Mr Sheen actually think to pick up the phone to John Bateman and ask him if there was any truth to the story beforehand??

View attachment 38414
Even if Hooper bothered to call Bateman, he would've run the story anyway just including his denial.

He's doing Moses bidding so there's a bigger cut

soc123_au

Staff member
But tbh I do remember Esan Marsters last year ridiculing a journo saying he’s “not going anywhere, I love it at the tigers” to signing a contract with the Cowboys a week later
I remember being relieved when Craig Gower came out & called Danny Weildler "A f**king dribbler" over a story about him wanting out at Penrith. Cue Wallace being let go to Brisbane & before Wal's signature was dry on the contract Gowie was off to France.

Chimp

Bench
I can’t stand Hooper, but he does say in the article that he’s got the info from other clubs who have been offered Bateman - and it’s not like Moses hasn’t tried this stuff frequently with other clients.
Bateman can deny it, but I’d be confident there have been conversations with other clubs, and there probably has been threats/requests to Canberra, Bateman might not even know about that though.... ‘I just leave that stuff to my manager’ is the usual cop out for players....

nick87

Coach
Im tipping somewhere in the next few months a long term extension will be reached between JB and the Raiders, and this will go down as just another example of how miserable it must be to work with Issac Moses from a club perspective.

hunters

Juniors
Im tipping somewhere in the next few months a long term extension will be reached between JB and the Raiders, and this will go down as just another example of how miserable it must be to work with Issac Moses from a club perspective.
Yeah but the guys who he actually works for would love him if he keeps getting away with it.

I can’t stand Hooper, but he does say in the article that he’s got the info from other clubs who have been offered Bateman - and it’s not like Moses hasn’t tried this stuff frequently with other clients.
Bateman can deny it, but I’d be confident there have been conversations with other clubs, and there probably has been threats/requests to Canberra, Bateman might not even know about that though.... ‘I just leave that stuff to my manager’ is the usual cop out for players....

Perhaps/perhaps not. But his headline (some may say “polished headline”) says Bateman has asked to leave 4 times.... ie the player himself... not a manager acting on his behalf etc..

He’s got info from other clubs... my question remains (from earlier post), why didn’t he contact Bateman himself.. Timmahs response is very valid for mine. But John Batemans’ response to this “journo” is as valid as it gets for me.

Chimp

Bench
Perhaps/perhaps not. But his headline (some may say “polished headline”) says Bateman has asked to leave 4 times.... ie the player himself... not a manager acting on his behalf etc..

He’s got info from other clubs... my question remains (from earlier post), why didn’t he contact Bateman himself.. Timmahs response is very valid for mine. But John Batemans’ response to this “journo” is as valid as it gets for me.
The headline may be misleading, but if you read the article, pretty much all the way through it states it’s Batemans management that are agitating for a move, have approached other clubs, have asked the Raiders four times for a release - it says management everytime.

This is all the work of Moses - Bateman would do well to check the facts with his agent first before firing shots I reckon.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Christ it would be funny if all this was based “Luke” Bateman being shopped around after the Raiders released him during the week.

I clicked on an article last week which read ‘Canberra’s Bateman to walk away’ or something to that effect, with just a generic Canberra jersey as the accompanying picture. Assuming it was John I sure enough opened it.

I got click baited like a noob

The headline may be misleading, but if you read the article, pretty much all the way through it states it’s Batemans management that are agitating for a move, have approached other clubs, have asked the Raiders four times for a release - it says management everytime.

This is all the work of Moses - Bateman would do well to check the facts with his agent first before firing shots I reckon.

That being the case...

The headline IS misleading. Like many headlines these days. Clickbait. And according to the player it’s written about, is complete BS.
Whether Hooper wrote the headline or not is irrelevant, it’s got his name on it and he should be in control of what it printed under his name. If he didn’t write it, it’s lazy journalism, if he did, it’s misleading journalism. Both are BS.

Im not a fan of many RL journalists, but this bloke is at the top of the list.

Chook Norris

First Grade
That being the case...

The headline IS misleading. Like many headlines these days. Clickbait. And according to the player it’s written about, is complete BS.
Whether Hooper wrote the headline or not is irrelevant, it’s got his name on it and he should be in control of what it printed under his name. If he didn’t write it, it’s lazy journalism, if he did, it’s misleading journalism. Both are BS.

Im not a fan of many RL journalists, but this bloke is at the top of the list.

Isn't this semantics over whether or not it's Bateman or his management asking for a release?

Players sign or agree for their management to act on behalf of them.

If Moses is asking for a release on behalf of Bateman, it is essentially the same as Bateman asking for that release. If I get into legal shit and ask my Lawyer to comment, he is commenting on my behalf and, in effect, I am making that comment. How many times have we seen 'players' release legalistic sounding comments? Too many times but we know sure as f**k they didnt come up with that jargon. Where I guess it could get cloudy is if ones agent/ lawyer is acting out of line with their client.

What's happening here? Who knows. As others have said in this thread, it is not unusual for:
1) Agents, especially Moses, to hold clubs to ransom like this; and
2) Players to lie to the media about what's happening.

Wouldn't surprise me if theres something going on here.

Isn't this semantics over whether or not it's Bateman or his management asking for a release?

Players sign or agree for their management to act on behalf of them.

If Moses is asking for a release on behalf of Bateman, it is essentially the same as Bateman asking for that release. If I get into legal shit and ask my Lawyer to comment, he is commenting on my behalf and, in effect, I am making that comment. How many times have we seen 'players' release legalistic sounding comments? Too many times but we know sure as f**k they didnt come up with that jargon. Where I guess it could get cloudy is if ones agent/ lawyer is acting out of line with their client.

What's happening here? Who knows. As others have said in this thread, it is not unusual for:
1) Agents, especially Moses, to hold clubs to ransom like this; and
2) Players to lie to the media about what's happening.

Wouldn't surprise me if theres something going on here.

Not semantics at all.

The headline article clearly states Bateman has asked for a release 4 times. Bateman has clearly refuted it.

They are facts we know.

The article then goes on, and I trust chimp on this (I didn’t bother reading it, much like most of this journalists work) to suggest its batemans management at length... who knows what is actually the truth... I doubt we’ll ever really know....

So, the article with headline and content are misleading and do not correlate with each other... Lazy and/or misleading journalism. And irrespective of whether his management have had discussions with other clubs or not.

The carpet doesn’t match the curtains with Hoopers story here. That’s where the credibility of the story goes down the drain.

If someone wrote an article about me where the headline states I’ve done something I haven’t, and falsely suggests discussions I’ve had with my employer to leave them, I’d be filthy. John Bateman replied as he did.

What would others do?

Last edited: