What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John Bateman

nick87

Coach
What an indictment on NRL coverage... the Raiders managed to make it all the way to the GF and a seasoned RL fan like Mr Angry never saw them play once.
Incredible scenes.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
What an indictment on NRL coverage... the Raiders managed to make it all the way to the GF and a seasoned RL fan like Mr Angry never saw them play once.
Incredible scenes.
Meh, prefer many others, can I have the hooker?

The other one would struggle without him.

We watch different games.

Papi, was awesome too.

blue bags

First Grade
Isn't this semantics over whether or not it's Bateman or his management asking for a release?

Players sign or agree for their management to act on behalf of them.

If Moses is asking for a release on behalf of Bateman, it is essentially the same as Bateman asking for that release. If I get into legal shit and ask my Lawyer to comment, he is commenting on my behalf and, in effect, I am making that comment. How many times have we seen 'players' release legalistic sounding comments? Too many times but we know sure as f**k they didnt come up with that jargon. Where I guess it could get cloudy is if ones agent/ lawyer is acting out of line with their client.

What's happening here? Who knows. As others have said in this thread, it is not unusual for:
1) Agents, especially Moses, to hold clubs to ransom like this; and
2) Players to lie to the media about what's happening.

Wouldn't surprise me if theres something going on here.
i smell, bulldogs, roosters, eagles, or even dragons in this

Chook Norris

First Grade
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...ntract-saga-with-raiders-20200524-p54vy5.html

'They will drive me to my next club': Bateman lifts lid on contract saga with Raiders

At a meeting with John Bateman last month, Canberra Raiders boss Don Furner jokingly volunteered to drive his superstar back-rower to his next NRL club if he managed to land an offer he couldn't refuse.

That's the strength of the blessing the Englishman would leave with, as he explores the possibility of departing the nation's capital after securing written permission from the Raiders to test the market for 2021 and beyond.

Bateman wants to stay. He said as much when he asked for an upgrade and extension to his current $600,000 contract. But should a deal worth about $800,000 over the next four years present itself - whether it be from Canterbury, the Dragons or any other club - Bateman may have to take Furner up on his offer.

"People are saying 'oh, you’re being greedy'," Bateman told this column in a candid interview on Sunday.
"Tell me which person in day to day life wouldn’t think about leaving their job if they could get more money for potentially double the length of time? Of course you think about it. It doesn’t mean I want to leave, but you look into it. I’m sitting here with my fingers crossed hoping something does change at Canberra.

"When I’m 45 and struggling to stand up, or trying to put my daughter through university, no one is going to ring me and say 'you know that extra few hundred grand you were hoping to get? We’ve got it for you now'. She's my girl. That's who I wake up every day for. That's the reason I go to work, to give her the best life possible.

"I’ll stand by that, no matter what people call me. She’s my number one. I’ve travelled all the way to the other side of the world and miss her growing up, so I want to make sure my sacrifice is worth it."

Canberra have privately conceded this season is most likely Bateman's last at the Raiders. But Furner, who is under no obligation to release the 26-year-old, has no issue with the English international trying to seek more money.

"The average footballer has four years in the NRL, but you and me have 40 years in our careers," Furner said.

"I would never begrudge the bloke trying to get what he can. Rick [coach Ricky Stuart] loves the bloke, but the reality is it's going to be very very difficult to keep him. If we can keep him, we would, but our hands are tied with the roster we have and the emergence of so many of our players. I've told him if he can get a good deal that I would drive him there myself."

Bateman has a clause in his contract that allows him the chance to renegotiate each year. It doesn't allow him to talk to rival clubs, but every year he gets the chance to sit down with the Raiders and put forward his case.

That meeting was in February, five months after this columnist, working for NRL.com at the time, revealed Bateman had linked with the much-maligned Isaac Moses to begin looking into his future.

"I thought I had a pretty good year last year and Canberra said 'yeah, you went pretty well, but we don’t really have much for you in 2021'," Bateman said of his desire for an upgrade.

"In 2022 they didn’t have anything. If I extend, I want to extend four years. I want to stay here. This is where I want to be. I’ve got half of England here playing with me. It’s a home away from home. Canberra said they might be able to get me a deal for 2022 if I wait and see what happens, but to be honest with you I wanted the security in my job.

"Who says I’m going to have as good as a year I had last year in 2020 and 2021? Who says we don’t get to 2022 and they say 'right he’s no good anymore'. People don’t see that side of it."

Bateman was arguably one of the best five players in the NRL last season, winning the Dally M second-rower of the year award in his first season at the Raiders.

His manager has begun testing the waters at around $800,000 a year for four seasons.

"I asked Canberra if after we’ve spoken to other clubs, can I come back to them and show them what I’ve got," Bateman said.

"I spoke to Donny again last night, I told him I want to be in Canberra. That’s where I want to be. That’s my second family. I’ve never once asked for a release, neither has Isaac.

"Isaac does what I tell him to do. I see Don more than Isaac will ever do. If I wanted to ask for a release, I could have done. I don’t want to leave. I want to extend. I’ve never once asked for a release. I told Isaac, "listen, don’t rush into anything because I’m not in any rush".

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
This isnt making much sense. The club has juggled at least 6-800k of the cap around in the last six months with transfers and releases. They could find him an extra 200k.

Maybe sticky has marked his papers after the shit he pulled GF week.

Valheru

Coach
This isnt making much sense. The club has juggled at least 6-800k of the cap around in the last six months with transfers and releases. They could find him an extra 200k.

Yep there is something going on here.

I cant see how Canberra wouldn't make room for him under normal circumstances so either he is bull shitting or the raiders have stamped his papers for reasons other than football ability.

nick87

Coach
Developments are coming thick and fast on this story, and im certainly less hopeful about a positive resolution than i was 2 days ago
but i am seeing two sides who still seem keen to work a solution out, it may be that they cant, but the quote about JB wanting to bring the offer he gets back to the Raiders to me is telling

I think the Raiders want him to test the market and know his value so they can try and get as close to it as possible, and maybe they find a sweet spot that's close enough to be good enough, or maybe they dont, but it does seem to me that JB wants to be at the club and the club wants him if they can, and the discussions between player the club (though maybe not manager and club) are still cordial, and not toxic to the level where a split is inevitable.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Pretty sure there’ll be plenty of offers over $600k coming in for him. Titans if they can get rid of Cartwright would be keen I’m sure.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Pretty sure there’ll be plenty of offers over $600k coming in for him. Titans if they can get rid of Cartwright would be keen I’m sure.
Melbourne always needs players, they produce none, zero, nudda, after soo many years. at least the scab of a Pom can play the game.

WA kids play VFL.

My heart is bleeding fish and chips from dover for the scab, given a chance.

Ungrateful pratt.

nick87

Coach
Melbourne always needs players, they produce none, zero, nudda, after soo many years. at least the scab of a Pom can play the game.

WA kids play VFL.

My heart is bleeding fish and chips from dover for the scab, given a chance.

Ungrateful pratt.

How many job offers have you knocked back offering you 100k+ more?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
How many job offers have you knocked back offering you 100k+ more?
A few, not the point.

You are talking earning 600k but wanting more with the economy in a hole.

Sure, go for it scab.

I stayed with those who me a chance first.

Ungrateful human.

Done here, who ever gets him remember there are many better.

Enjoy a scab, your choice.

shear_joy9

Coach

think that money has gone into Jack and soon Cotric's pockets