What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John Sutton

simon says

First Grade
Ive always rated this bloke,but gee he looked ordinary against the roosters.I just felt like he was trying to do it all himself and set up tries from nothing rather than just run at space and then look to pass.

Id hate to see a talent like this go under....if I was coach at Souths,I would be telling him to forget trying to be like Benji and play like Sutton.....hard run and then look to get the ball away,not try and set up plays before the line.

He just isnt that type of player atm.....IMO.

There is a hell of a lot of presssure on this kid,thats for sure.....

I just like him as an athlete. Big, strong, good speed.

Its a shame he is at such a rotten, pathetic club because he'd be well served somehwere that could use his tallent and allow him to shine.

Big Bunny

Juniors
Like Benji? Why is it that tiger fans so often want to relate everything back to Benji Marshall? Sutton didn't have a great game, but hey it was just the first game of the season and for a large part of it the chief playmaker was out. Most of the pressure on Sutton is imagined by fans who want more and aren't patient. He'll be fine.

MONY

Juniors
Sutton and Gordon both ran like Justin Hodges....big and slow.... didnt seem all that interested in lifting their intensity..

simon says

First Grade
Big Bunny said:
Like Benji? Why is it that tiger fans so often want to relate everything back to Benji Marshall? Sutton didn't have a great game, but hey it was just the first game of the season and for a large part of it the chief playmaker was out. Most of the pressure on Sutton is imagined by fans who want more and aren't patient. He'll be fine.

I related it to Bunji cos he has freaky passing skills,and Id hate for Sutton to try and do what Bunji does.......Sutton shoould be running the ball,not trying to set up tries b4 the defensive line....like Bunji did on Friday night.

You say there is no pressure......well i disagree,isnt he vice captain in a struggling side???Isnt he about 20????Is there anyone else with his ability in the halves????No,no,no......plenty of pressure on him matey

Simon....mate.....its a South fan.

I know you want to try and talk sense to them, but they just dont want to hear it.

Better off just tapping them on the head, saying "Yeah, you're right" and then laughing to yourself because....at the end of the day....they follow Souths! :lol:

Balmain_Boy

Sutton is under pressure. I don't think that's deniable. I'm confident he'll handle it. He looks to be a very VERY talented young footballer.

Alba

Coach
he will be fine there's no need to worry about him, he was at best very ordinary yesterday, it was the first game back and maybe he was trying to do too much .. he will watch over the game and see what he needs to ease up on .. barring injuries he will definitely shine at our club he doesnt need to be at another team and as for the comparison to Benji-- it doesnt work because they both play their own games .. they might both play five eighth but their styles are very different ..

sooperdooper

First Grade
simon says said:
Ive always rated this bloke,but gee he looked ordinary against the roosters.I just felt like he was trying to do it all himself and set up tries from nothing rather than just run at space and then look to pass.

Id hate to see a talent like this go under....if I was coach at Souths,I would be telling him to forget trying to be like Benji and play like Sutton.....hard run and then look to get the ball away,not try and set up plays before the line.

He just isnt that type of player atm.....IMO.

There is a hell of a lot of presssure on this kid,thats for sure.....
has winning the premiership gone to your head?
it is round 1 mate...benji played poorly in round 1! all he did was defend badly.
sure he set up the match winning try but...he was ordinary!
relax and let the footy roll

fat_mike

Juniors
sutton is a lock plain and simple. doesnt have the right ball skills yet to be a classy 5/8. he's still young so i'm sure he'll end up as a lock

simon says

First Grade
sooperdooper said:
it is round 1 mate...benji played poorly in round 1! all he did was defend badly.
sure he set up the match winning try but...he was ordinary!
relax and let the footy roll

Gawd,you are slow......Benji was ordinary too,I have said this many times,I just used him as an example of what I think Sutton is trying to do,that being trying to give tryscoring passes rather than run the ball at the line.....

This thread isnt about Bunji,its about the enormous pressure on Sutton to turn around about 20 years of bad perfomances,whilst all the turmoil goes on inside the club.

Its not easy atm being red and green.

simon says

First Grade
sooperdooper said:

Yes it has....wonderful time to be a Tiger fan.......and we are definitely going better than this time last year.

Let the good times roll.:lol:

Goldthorpe

Bench
fat_mike said:
sutton is a lock plain and simple. doesnt have the right ball skills yet to be a classy 5/8. he's still young so i'm sure he'll end up as a lock

I tend to agree, but for Souths at the moment they need quality throughout the halves and the way Shane Rigon played yesterday at lock, it’s the logical choice to keep Sutto in the 6 jumper.

I think Sutton is a ‘Barrett type’ five-eighth, in between playing lock and five-eighth.

Sutton’s defensive is also pretty good as well. The kid does have a rep future that’s for certain, as for saying he was ordinary yesterday, it’s probably a fair call.

simon says

First Grade
Alba said:
as for the comparison to Benji-- it doesnt work because they both play their own games .. they might both play five eighth but their styles are very different ..

This is the point I am making.....they are both very different styles,but Sutton,yesterday was trying to make Bunji like plays,rather than charging at gaps and using that big bod of his to get through the line....

You get it?????

sooperdooper

First Grade
simon says said:
Gawd,you are slow......Benji was ordinary too,I have said this many times,I just used him as an example of what I think Sutton is trying to do,that being trying to give tryscoring passes rather than run the ball at the line.....

This thread isnt about Bunji,its about the enormous pressure on Sutton to turn around about 20 years of bad perfomances,whilst all the turmoil goes on inside the club.

Its not easy atm being red and green.

your the slow one!
the isnt much pressure on sutton, more pressure on benji and the tigers to try to retain there title and perform like last season!

sutton does not have that pressure! whats going on in the club is not his fault!!

every thread you almost mention benji...

Alba

Coach
simon says said:
This is the point I am making.....they are both very different styles,but Sutton,yesterday was trying to make Bunji like plays,rather than charging at gaps and using that big bod of his to get through the line....

You get it?????

uhm no im just going to say i disagree .. he was not trying to be like Benji he is testing his boundaries ..

fat_mike said:

lock is actually Sutto's preferred position so i wouldnt be surprised if he ended up there .. right now we need to worry about the halfback role .. Walkers out imo Joey should be in .. Moran has been on the bench in PL ffs if he gets it over Joey i will be very disappointed ..

PARRA_FAN

Coach
The key is defence and aiming up, Souths didnt do that yesterday unfortunately there were blokes coming out of the line too quickly and not making a tackle. They handled the Roosters outfit alright in the first half. They need someone out wide who's a good defender.

Sutton plays with a lot of heart and tries his very best for Souths. Its only round 1, there's a lot of games to go obviously and you never know Souths might pick up a bit.

PB

Bench
Sutton, like many, is very talented but played well below what he is capable of yesterday, i am sure of that. But if he is to remain in the halves, he needs to improve his kicking game. It's not up to first grade standard yet.

Big Bunny

Juniors
simon says said:
I related it to Bunji cos he has freaky passing skills,and Id hate for Sutton to try and do what Bunji does.......Sutton shoould be running the ball,not trying to set up tries b4 the defensive line....like Bunji did on Friday night.

You say there is no pressure......well i disagree,isnt he vice captain in a struggling side???Isnt he about 20????Is there anyone else with his ability in the halves????No,no,no......plenty of pressure on him matey

I really shouldn't have to explain the obvious to you, but I will this one time. There are similarities between Benji and Sutton, but your statement draws a long bow in order to make a less than tangible point. John Sutton does not wake up in the morning thinking "I'm going to try and be like Benji" his game is his own.

Read what I said, not what you think I said. No I did not say there was no pressure on John Sutton. Don't try and invent stuff to support your views. There is pressure on every player in rugby league, however much of the extra load is imagined by people like yourself, placing yourself in their shoes.