What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John Sutton

simon says

First Grade
I know we were in trouble too.....If we hadnt gone well last year I would be feeling the heat like Souths are.I really feel if Souths go bad for a few more years and the crowds stay low they could really be in trouble.

Thats where the pressure is.....Souths need to perform ASAP,and I hope they do.I want them in the comp,I love the old rivalry.

And on Sutton,I totally rate the guy......my point is that last year he was running at the line and looking very good,and the only time I have seen him this year he was trying to be a playmaker ane he looked ordinary.

Cheers.

simon says

First Grade
Mr Saab said:
yeah, sure you are.
How well did they go vs the Bulls in the WCC? Tigers looked good didnt they!
Fitzhenry is as much a 5/8 as what you are a league expert.

I thought he was our best against Bradford.

Mr Saab

Referee
individually he might have played well for that one game, but he didnt aid his team mates.
Tigers will show what a one man team they are this friday vs the Dogs.

sooperdooper

First Grade
Catatonic_Omnivore said:
You know, when you inherit a team which has come last there really is only one way to go.

I don't have anything against McRae. He can only do with what he has. My point is the environment at which Sutton is in at the moment is not condusive to furthering his skills.

Yes, I do know that Joe Williams tore apart PL. That's my point. What's he doing in PL? Surely he is better than Walker?

As for recruitment. Didn't they miss out on Anasta & Orford? Face it, they can't attract any players of note.

Sure they will be competative. All teams will be. Fairytales do happen. But they cannot be compared to the likes of the Cowboys or the Tigers.
your right, being at the bottom there is only one way to go, being at the top there is only one way to go....which is down! which then comes with criticism and pressure! its a known fact its hard to be at the top.. more pressure!
walker played great at the end of last season! if walker plays bad i have no doubt he will be recalled!
i did chase anasta and orford, didnt get them which was the best thing ever! they recruited plays which will now give them variety! ever heard the saying dont throw all your eggs in one basket??

why cant they be compared to tigers or cowboys? how long did it take cowboys and tigers to succeed under new management and staff?

sooperdooper

First Grade
simon says said:
Im going to......I think he has improved a lot over the last 6 moths and will give it a really good go.More importantly,we are more than a one man team(sound familiar???).

Guess we will just have to wait and see,but IMO the Tigers are more than Bunji.

more than a one man team?
good to see you won the WCC without benji :)

sooperdooper

First Grade
simon says said:
I know we were in trouble too.....If we hadnt gone well last year I would be feeling the heat like Souths are.I really feel if Souths go bad for a few more years and the crowds stay low they could really be in trouble.

Thats where the pressure is.....Souths need to perform ASAP,and I hope they do.I want them in the comp,I love the old rivalry.

And on Sutton,I totally rate the guy......my point is that last year he was running at the line and looking very good,and the only time I have seen him this year he was trying to be a playmaker ane he looked ordinary.

Cheers.

god your a tool!
one game, one game!

where are you pulling this from? you really want them in the comp etc no one is talking about getting rid of them

simon says

First Grade
I said if they go bad for a few years.......and they have been going bad for a few years too,not just one game.

sooperdooper

First Grade
simon says said:
I said if they go bad for a few years.......and they have been going bad for a few years too,not just one game.
they are on the climb!
im telling you now! souths are not to be taken lightly!

sooperdooper said:
i did chase anasta and orford, didnt get them which was the best thing ever! they recruited plays which will now give them variety! ever heard the saying dont throw all your eggs in one basket??
You mean "Souths did chase Anasta & Orford...".
Variety? With Webb, Galuvao & Lowe? How do these guys provide variety? What you need is a game breaker to assist Sutton. The subject of this thread is about Sutton, right? Which brings me back to my point. Sutton in the present team that he has cannot reach his full potential. You get what I mean?

You didn't get Anasta & Orford because they did not see any benefit in it for them. Career wise.

sooperdooper said:
why cant they be compared to tigers or cowboys? how long did it take cowboys and tigers to succeed under new management and staff?
Not long actually. From the time Sheens took over the Tigers and Murray took over the Cowboys it only took a couple of seasons to show real improvement. But since you brought it up, lets look at a classic example. Sheens took over the Tigers and one of his first moves was to offload all the dead wood like Terry Hill which Souths bought and what a buy that was.

I may have only followed Rugby League for 30+ years but one thing I do know is that when your team cannot attract players like Anasta or Orford and at the same time your best player who has given his all chooses to leave (Harrison). Then you know you have a problem. You really have to consider why and address that issue. Till then, Souths will continue as they are.

Now here's a question for you. John Lang is on the market and so is Chris Anderson. What are the chances of Souths even considering offering them a role in the coaching staff? Of course the other question is, would they take it on?

simon says

First Grade
Good points....It is going to be very hard for Sutton to reach his full potential in that side.....

On the Cowboys and Tigers,look at their 1,6,7,9.....all strike players in these key positions.Aside from Sutton there isnt a real lot of strike there,although Polglase does have potential.

Souths have a solid side......but I dont think its enough.

I hope Im wrong.

sooperdooper

First Grade
Catatonic_Omnivore said:
Variety? With Webb, Galuvao & Lowe? How do these guys provide variety? What you need is a game breaker to assist Sutton. The subject of this thread is about Sutton, right? Which brings me back to my point. Sutton in the present team that he has cannot reach his full potential. You get what I mean?

You didn't get Anasta & Orford because they did not see any benefit in it for them. Career wise.

Not long actually. From the time Sheens took over the Tigers and Murray took over the Cowboys it only took a couple of seasons to show real improvement. But since you brought it up, lets look at a classic example. Sheens took over the Tigers and one of his first moves was to offload all the dead wood like Terry Hill which Souths bought and what a buy that was.

I may have only followed Rugby League for 30+ years but one thing I do know is that when your team cannot attract players like Anasta or Orford and at the same time your best player who has given his all chooses to leave (Harrison). Then you know you have a problem. You really have to consider why and address that issue. Till then, Souths will continue as they are.

Now here's a question for you. John Lang is on the market and so is Chris Anderson. What are the chances of Souths even considering offering them a role in the coaching staff? Of course the other question is, would they take it on?

they signed Ben Rogers as well. Plus a few for depth which is where they have always suffered!
this thread is about sutton your right, its about simon says basically calling sutton incapable and imitating marshall.. which is wrong

why offer LAng a job, he has shown he isnt the great coach claimed to be...
anderson, if he was so good why didnt other clubs chase him?

you need to realise that only because they have a name does not mean they can coach better. Sean McRae has done a great job so far.

I am an eels fan but i can greatfully recognise this guys efforts and change that has happened!

so sheens offloaded dead wood, well isnt it funny that souths off loaded hill as well, and are playing young players which is there goal!

Souths will recruit better players next year and year after!
its not like the tigers recruited well until this year!

sooperdooper

First Grade
Catatonic_Omnivore said:

they signed Ben Rogers as well. Plus a few for depth which is where they have always suffered!
this thread is about sutton your right, its about simon says basically calling sutton incapable and imitating marshall.. which is wrong

you need to realise that only because they have a name does not mean they can coach better. Sean McRae has done a great job so far.

I am an eels fan but i can greatfully recognise this guys efforts and change that has happened!

so sheens offloaded dead wood, well isnt it funny that souths off loaded hill as well, and are playing young players which is there goal!

sooperdooper

First Grade
Catatonic_Omnivore said:

sooperdooper said:

I agree that McRae has done well compared to his predecessors (apart from Katinas) given the resources he has.

However, Lang and Anderson have won premierships so they know what it takes to get there. Anderson I beleive is negotiating with the Raiders. Regardless of what the fans think, these two guys do offer credibility which can potentially attract players that Souths need. Why do you think Scott Prince signed with the Tigers if not for Sheens?

Apart from these two candidates, there are also other coaches serving as assistant or lower grade coaches from other teams that may be suitable. Mulholland from Penrith comes to mind. They may not have won premierships in first grade but they can attract future stars of the game.

Katinas would have been good but he preferred to concentrate on his business rather than coach Souths. He is a great example. He brought Joe Williams into 1st grade when Langmack was pi$$ing about with different halfbacks.

sooperdooper said:

I think you will find that Hill left Souths after an injury he suffered during a Pre-Season trial. Souths agreed to tearing up his contract due to a career ending injury. A year or so later he turns up for Manly. A miraculous recovery indeed. Very fortunate for Souths.

sooperdooper said:
It's more a question of whether Souths will be able to recruit the players they need as opposed to who they can get. Subtle but important difference.

garfunkel

Juniors
Catatonic_Omnivore said:
Yes, I do know that Joe Williams tore apart PL. That's my point. What's he doing in PL? Surely he is better than Walker?

I was at the game on Sunday and Joey played really well against the Jets, he is the most talented player in our playing roster IMO, his kicking game and raw talent make him such an asset. "I think" the reason he is still in PL is because of his problem in defence. Last season up until Sutton was injured Joey and Sutto had a good combination going, we beat Parra and Newcastle by plenty and were looking pretty strong.

I think it was the loss to Melbourne where Joey was shown up big time in defence. His lack of commitment to put his body on the line in a tackle saw us get carved up in a big way. I don't know if it is an attitude thing or not.

Walker was bought mid-way through the season because after Sutto's injury some were talking he would be out for the whole season so we needed someone to fill the f/e position and it just so happened that when Moran injured himself Walker came in and played well enough so that we won all those games at the tail end of the season.

But I hope Joey gets another shot in rounds 3 and 4 to try and cement a position with Sutton because he really belongs in first grade.

That's my biased opinion.

garfunkel

Juniors
Catatonic_Omnivore said:
I agree that McRae has done well compared to his predecessors (apart from Katinas) given the resources he has.

However, Lang and Anderson have won premierships so they know what it takes to get there. Anderson I beleive is negotiating with the Raiders. Regardless of what the fans think, these two guys do offer credibility which can potentially attract players that Souths need. Why do you think Scott Prince signed with the Tigers if not for Sheens?

Correct me if I am wrong but I think you will find that Bomber was assistant coach to Tim Sheens for the raiders when they won back to back premierships in 89 & 90.

He has also won an ESL premiership as head coach with St Helens, and has most recently taken Hull from cellar-dwellars to third place in I think three seasons.

Come on, the guy must have some idea of what he is doing.

simon says

First Grade
sooperdooper said:
this thread is about sutton your right, its about simon says basically calling sutton incapable

I have never said he is incapable,far from it,I rate the kid highly....All I said was that he needs to stick to the way he ws playing last year.

garfunkel said:
Correct me if I am wrong but I think you will find that Bomber was assistant coach to Tim Sheens for the raiders when they won back to back premierships in 89 & 90.

He has also won an ESL premiership as head coach with St Helens, and had most recently took Hull from cellar-dwellars to third place in I think three seasons.

Come on, the guy must have some idea of what he is doing.
I'm sure he knows what he's doing. But whether players want to play for him is another thing. Somehow I don't think the players are with him.

Coaching Souths, given the current climate, is going to be a tough task for anyone. Bomber to his credit has done very well. My point is that if they cannot attract "marquee" signings and their best player leaves, how is this going to help them progress? Sutton and Gordon can't carry the team.

You saw it on the weekend. Walker gets taken off and they fold.

garfunkel

Juniors
Catatonic_Omnivore said:
I'm sure he knows what he's doing. But whether players want to play for him is another thing. Somehow I don't think the players are with him.

Coaching Souths, given the current climate, is going to be a tough task for anyone. Bomber to his credit has done very well. My point is that if they cannot attract "marquee" signings and their best player leaves, how is this going to help them progress? Sutton and Gordon can't carry the team.

You saw it on the weekend. Walker gets taken off and they fold.

The couple of times that I have met Bomber would make me disagree with your first comment. The guy has a fantastic knowledge of the game, is completly proffesional and I could see no reason that he would not have the respect of anyone at the club.

To attract the "marquee" signings it comes down to more issues than just the coach. Our below par training facilities, the cost of living in inner Sydney, the off field drama plus poor performances all contribute to the lack of high profile players interested in playing for Souths.

To turn around a club that has been driven into the ground for so many years takes time. The club is taking the steps in the right direction.