What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John Sutton

sooperdooper

First Grade
Catatonic_Omnivore said:
I agree that McRae has done well compared to his predecessors (apart from Katinas) given the resources he has.

However, Lang and Anderson have won premierships so they know what it takes to get there. Anderson I beleive is negotiating with the Raiders. Regardless of what the fans think, these two guys do offer credibility which can potentially attract players that Souths need. Why do you think Scott Prince signed with the Tigers if not for Sheens?

Apart from these two candidates, there are also other coaches serving as assistant or lower grade coaches from other teams that may be suitable. Mulholland from Penrith comes to mind. They may not have won premierships in first grade but they can attract future stars of the game.

Katinas would have been good but he preferred to concentrate on his business rather than coach Souths. He is a great example. He brought Joe Williams into 1st grade when Langmack was pi$$ing about with different halfbacks.

I think you will find that Hill left Souths after an injury he suffered during a Pre-Season trial. Souths agreed to tearing up his contract due to a career ending injury. A year or so later he turns up for Manly. A miraculous recovery indeed. Very fortunate for Souths.

It's more a question of whether Souths will be able to recruit the players they need as opposed to who they can get. Subtle but important difference.

Scott Prince signed for the tigers as he had no where to go!

Sure Lang and Co have won premierships, but i can tell you now that is not on souths minds at the moment. They are trying to develop young players and build a future!
now why would they want to recruit an assistant coach? or a PL coach. You need to make up your mind.

Souths did recruit players they needed, sure they had pencilled in some big names! But they did better in the end, they can offer there $$ to some younger players and players like webb and co who are good enough for NRL and provide many options and depth

sooperdooper

First Grade
simon says said:
I have never said he is incapable,far from it,I rate the kid highly....All I said was that he needs to stick to the way he ws playing last year.
thats right, and try not to be like Benji... its a shame he isnt, your just dillusional

sooperdooper

First Grade
Catatonic_Omnivore said:
I'm sure he knows what he's doing. But whether players want to play for him is another thing. Somehow I don't think the players are with him.

Coaching Souths, given the current climate, is going to be a tough task for anyone. Bomber to his credit has done very well. My point is that if they cannot attract "marquee" signings and their best player leaves, how is this going to help them progress? Sutton and Gordon can't carry the team.

You saw it on the weekend. Walker gets taken off and they fold.

well one minute you say they need a star player next to sutton for it to work, walker has been going great. Now you say after he was gone they folded, make up your mind!

why do they need a marquee player?

sooperdooper said:
well one minute you say they need a star player next to sutton for it to work, walker has been going great. Now you say after he was gone they folded, make up your mind!

Sorry, I never meant to allude to the fact that Walker was a "star player". I'm sure Walker would be very flattered to hear that.

And yes they folded after Walker left. That doesn't make Walker a "Star Player". It was more the case of the team as a whole just gave up. It was a perfect opportunity for Sutton to step up, he tried but had nothing.

sooperdooper said:
why do they need a marquee player?

The very same reason why Souths tried so hard to get Anasta and/or Orford. Two reasons. Firstly, Souths need funding. To get funding you need to draw crowds and to some degree attract Corporate sponsors, preferrably ones that spend big. Major part in achieving this is building a profile on and off the field as well as winning games.

Can you imagine what the crowds would have been on Sunday at Telstra if Anasta and/or Orford turned up for Souths? As it turns out there was a crowd of 16K, not sure how many tickets were given away for free but if your were part of Souths management you would hope that the crowd figures will go up from there.

The second reason, as I can only suggest, is to help Sutton develop. The kid is still in his teens if not early 20's. Not everyone can be as gifted as Marshall or Tim Smith and be a match winner at their age. Sutton, under the right conditions can achieve that potential. I just cant see it happening with the way Souths are going.

sooperdooper said:
Scott Prince signed for the tigers as he had no where to go!
I think you will find that Tim Sheens had a lot to do with it. He wanted to stay in Qld but had no choice but Syd.

sooperdooper said:
Sure Lang and Co have won premierships, but i can tell you now that is not on souths minds at the moment. They are trying to develop young players and build a future!

Your development program is only as good as your Coaching staff. Do you agree?

sooperdooper said:
now why would they want to recruit an assistant coach? or a PL coach. You need to make up your mind.

Maybe i'm not making it clear enough for you. My bad. I have offered that there are other suitable coaches that may be a better option than McRae. Coaches that can attract other players juniors and/or senior ranks in the NRL. Sounds like I'm repeating myself...

sooperdooper said:
Souths did recruit players they needed, sure they had pencilled in some big names! But they did better in the end, they can offer there $$ to some younger players and players like webb and co who are good enough for NRL and provide many options and depth

They chased Orford and Anasta hard. That I am sure of. They were not Pencilled in. Even Piggins could not influence Anasta. How bad could it be at Souths? Can you imagine the friction it would have caused between Anasta & George once it was released that he signed with the Roosters? What they got at the end of their recruitment drive are the "nice to have's" and missed out on the "Gotta Have's".

Big Bunny

Juniors
OVP said:
Yeah so do I.

Lacklustre corporate support and financial losses. Hilarious. I think he's talking about his own club, the old boys club, there.

Your football club is a financial failure, just as every other football club in Sydney is. If you believe otherwise than you're far more ignorant than was already proven. Your club is propped up by an outside business, one that like every other leagues club is going to eventually feel the pinch of pokie taxes, as it should.

Should the Holmes a Court proposal get up we have the opportunity to build toward the future, where the club will be able to stand on its own two feet, and not have to rely upon artificial safety nets. That should be the aim of every football club in Sydney, rather than simply sitting on their hands like the Roosters are.

Money at this point is the only thing that allows your club any sort of security in the eys of the NRL, that's why you and your ilk are so vicious and frothy mouthed when it comes to Souths, it's all about fear and greed.

I know that you along with every other Rooster fan is absolutely catonic with fright concerning the possibility of not being able to hold that over your neighbours anymore. The idea of a Souths that stands financially stable, with a strong junior catchment, a better sponsorship base and a fanbase that isn't as wishy-washy as yours frightens you to death, because you know you'll again be relegated to being looked upon as also rans. Your club has hit its ceiling. After a recent premiership win your crowds aren't all that impressive, your sponsorship base struggles to match Souths and you are still very much a loud mouthed idiot who will now go and have a cry and have melon blithering on here, complaining about his special boy being upset.

You've had the luxury of two extra years in the comp and a salary cap policed by your own man, and jeez you still haven't done much to catch up. Face it, every club has its low stretches in history, only that you've failed to capitalise on Souths poor run, as long as it was. The Roosters have blown it all.

You should just pack your bags and move to the coast now and save the NRL the hassles. Better yet, just fold, the people on the coast deserve better.

sooperdooper

First Grade
Catatonic_Omnivore said:
Sorry, I never meant to allude to the fact that Walker was a "star player". I'm sure Walker would be very flattered to hear that.

And yes they folded after Walker left. That doesn't make Walker a "Star Player". It was more the case of the team as a whole just gave up. It was a perfect opportunity for Sutton to step up, he tried but had nothing.

The very same reason why Souths tried so hard to get Anasta and/or Orford. Two reasons. Firstly, Souths need funding. To get funding you need to draw crowds and to some degree attract Corporate sponsors, preferrably ones that spend big. Major part in achieving this is building a profile on and off the field as well as winning games.

Can you imagine what the crowds would have been on Sunday at Telstra if Anasta and/or Orford turned up for Souths? As it turns out there was a crowd of 16K, not sure how many tickets were given away for free but if your were part of Souths management you would hope that the crowd figures will go up from there.

The second reason, as I can only suggest, is to help Sutton develop. The kid is still in his teens if not early 20's. Not everyone can be as gifted as Marshall or Tim Smith and be a match winner at their age. Sutton, under the right conditions can achieve that potential. I just cant see it happening with the way Souths are going.

souths will draw more crowds if they keep playing there jnrs!
they wont draw crowds by signing a matt orford!
well walker is one of there stars... watch the combo they will form

as i said im not a souths fan! but its silly to hear someone like simon says bagging out a player and club for trying!
just to remember his club has tasted success once!

you do have some valid points but not everything happens over night!

Big Bunny said:
Your football club is a financial failure, just as every other football club in Sydney is. If you believe otherwise than you're far more ignorant than was already proven. Your club is propped up by an outside business, one that like every other leagues club is going to eventually feel the pinch of pokie taxes, as it should.

Should the Holmes a Court proposal get up we have the opportunity to build toward the future, where the club will be able to stand on its own two feet, and not have to rely upon artificial safety nets. That should be the aim of every football club in Sydney, rather than simply sitting on their hands like the Roosters are.

Money at this point is the only thing that allows your club any sort of security in the eys of the NRL, that's why you and your ilk are so vicious and frothy mouthed when it comes to Souths, it's all about fear and greed.

I know that you along with every other Rooster fan is absolutely catonic with fright concerning the possibility of not being able to hold that over your neighbours anymore. The idea of a Souths that stands financially stable, with a strong junior catchment, a better sponsorship base and a fanbase that isn't as wishy-washy as yours frightens you to death, because you know you'll again be relegated to being looked upon as also rans. Your club has hit its ceiling. After a recent premiership win your crowds aren't all that impressive, your sponsorship base struggles to match Souths and you are still very much a loud mouthed idiot who will now go and have a cry and have melon blithering on here, complaining about his special boy being upset.

You've had the luxury of two extra years in the comp and a salary cap policed by your own man, and jeez you still haven't done much to catch up. Face it, every club has its low stretches in history, only that you've failed to capitalise on Souths poor run, as long as it was. The Roosters have blown it all.

You should just pack your bags and move to the coast now and save the NRL the hassles. Better yet, just fold, the people on the coast deserve better.
Let me see if i got this right...
If >74% of Souths memebers vote Yes then Blackcourt gets to own Souths. This means prosperity for Souths on the basis that Blackcourt will provide Souths with opportunity to build for the future. Which will eventually lead to the Roosters demise.

Havn't Souths been building and rebuilding and building again? I suppose you can always rebuild once the building of the rebuild doesn't quite come up with the stuff you wanted to build in the first place. Yep, you could build on that.

Still cant see why the Roosters should be concerned though. I think they have already built something pretty good.

simon says

First Grade
I reckon more people will watch Souths if they start winning,even though Im sure they would prefer watching jnrs,a win is still a win.

When you have been losing for so long its hard to keep going back for more,gawd knows being a Tiger fans.

Win games,get crowds and money.....its simple,they tried to buy players this year but no one was interested.They just have to keep trying to buy and nurture their young fellers as best as they can.Which isnt easy when you are getting flogged all the time.

Cheers.

sooperdooper

First Grade
Catatonic_Omnivore said:
I think you will find that Tim Sheens had a lot to do with it. He wanted to stay in Qld but had no choice but Syd.

Your development program is only as good as your Coaching staff. Do you agree?

Maybe i'm not making it clear enough for you. My bad. I have offered that there are other suitable coaches that may be a better option than McRae. Coaches that can attract other players juniors and/or senior ranks in the NRL. Sounds like I'm repeating myself...

They chased Orford and Anasta hard. That I am sure of. They were not Pencilled in. Even Piggins could not influence Anasta. How bad could it be at Souths? Can you imagine the friction it would have caused between Anasta & George once it was released that he signed with the Roosters? What they got at the end of their recruitment drive are the "nice to have's" and missed out on the "Gotta Have's".

yes he did go due to sheens, but is it not true he had no where to go?

yes and souths do have there development program i think it is called 'young bucks' in which they are players whom have been brought into fulltime training to interact with the NRL players and to develop further, however what i agree with you on is if they did have better training pacilities it will improve deveolpment.

Shaun McRae has attracted players, sure they are not known as 'stars' but Souths over the past year under McRae and Richardson have improved and will again and again!

i know they missed Anasta and Orford... they did go to other clubs!
im not denying that, but they picked up some handy players for depth, which was always there problem.
They will recruit better next year and so forth!

sooperdooper

First Grade
simon says said:
I reckon more people will watch Souths if they start winning,even though Im sure they would prefer watching jnrs,a win is still a win.

When you have been losing for so long its hard to keep going back for more,gawd knows being a Tiger fans.

Win games,get crowds and money.....its simple,they tried to buy players this year but no one was interested.They just have to keep trying to buy and nurture their young fellers as best as they can.Which isnt easy when you are getting flogged all the time.

Cheers.

are they getting flogged all the time? no.
they did buy players last year ones in which who will turn out to become great buys...

simon says

First Grade
sooperdooper said:
they did buy players last year ones in which who will turn out to become great buys...

And who are these GREAT buys????I must have missed that one.

I know they lost some talent though.

Guys they bought dont cover for them IMO....

sooperdooper said:

It's only been one game this year and so far the answer is yes. Not sure who they play next but they better aim up. A crowd of >10K at Telstra isn't gonna be pretty.