What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Johnathan Thurston - another beat up or time to smarten up ? ?

Perth Red

Post Whore
nothing story but hardly a great way to be promoting the game in a new city being out on the razz during the promotion week. Still its RL players and we know they are not the brightest bunch in the world.

Charlie124

First Grade
Ive already torn up my membership and burned all of my jerseys in the street. WHAT IF SOME OF THE BEER GOT IN HIS EYE??? HIS EYE!! Willie Tonga is lucky to be alive and JT should be deregistered.

Brutus

Referee
According to the BSB there is a two-page spread on the Thurston non-incident in the Telecrap today.

What a disgraceful rag that is.

Thank you News LTD, what a great part-owner you've been.

Moffo

Referee
JT made his bed with the media when he was back at the dogs, has been lying in it since

nrlnrl

First Grade
According to the BSB there is a two-page spread on the Thurston non-incident in the Telecrap today.

What a disgraceful rag that is.

Thank you News LTD, what a great part-owner you've been.

To be fair, the article does raise the question of whether it's just another case of NRL players being under the microscope. It also raises points such as the pressure on the Cowboys to change captains & whether Thurston's on-field brilliance is overshadowed by his name being mentioned in off-field incidents related to alcohol. It's a catch-22 situation when these stories are in the media, but unfortunately society laps up this type of "Big Brother" voyeurism where a lot of people seem more interested in other people's lives than their own.

As I mentioned earlier, the Telegraph has been giving plenty of positive exposure to the NRL this week ( 5 pages consistently to only 1 each for the other 3 football codes ). That mightn't sound too much, but when you consider that union is about to start their 2011 comp, soccer is on the verge of their final series & Aussie Rules are about to play a pre-season triple-header involving a team based in "rugby league territory" they've been a good source for rugby league.

Brutus

Referee
Sorry can't agree.

A beer flicking incident gives them the right to bring a bloke's rap sheet. They just love rap sheets. Willie Mason took a piss outside a pub and up came the rap sheet. They are scum.

I'm no fan of Thurston, but this is just ridiculous.

00digger00

Juniors
Taken from the Couriermail "The Northern Territory News posted a story on its website that claimed Thurston and teammate Willie Tonga were acting offensively at Darwin's Lost Arc nightclub at 1.30am yesterday.

The man who witnessed the incident is an employee of the newspaper."

That says it all for my liking! Good way to get the lead story.... Total BS

nrlnrl

First Grade
Sorry can't agree.

A beer flicking incident gives them the right to bring a bloke's rap sheet. They just love rap sheets. Willie Mason took a piss outside a pub and up came the rap sheet. They are scum.

I'm no fan of Thurston, but this is just ridiculous.

I know what you mean, but unfortunately these trivial incidents have become "newsworthy" because someone takes a photo or saw a player in a pub & then rings a radio station or e-mails a newspaper or tv station with the "evidence". I disagree with the whole concept, but some people seem pre-occupied with other people's lives & think they boost their importance by doing so. Quite often there's a fair bit of hypocrisy involved, ie - someone bagging a player for having a few drinks with mates when they've done far worse themselves ( but no-one made a deal of it because that person isn't a "celebrity". )

TheRam

Coach
Has the world gone mad? How ridiculous that this has even been reported. What I think is that as soon as the attention seeking fool that relayed this so called incident started to speak, a reporter should have slapped him so hard the side of the head, that it would have snapped him back from his precious looney world and into the real world just like that.

Flapper

First Grade
The fact they have the manager of the place in question have nothing but praise for the players behaviour makes the 2 page spread f**king ludicrous. This is becoming a joke.

no name

Coach
Has the world gone mad? How ridiculous that this has even been reported. What I think is that as soon as the attention seeking fool that relayed this so called incident started to speak, a reporter should have slapped him so hard the side of the head, that it would have snapped him back from his precious looney world and into the real world just like that.

The 'witness' was the reporter

Desert Qlder

First Grade
There is no doubt that it is standard practice at news organisations in Aus (chiefly news ltd) to look for the big scandal to start the NRL season. It's obviously a big seller.

I would get used to this over the coming weeks. Each individual 'journo' would be desperate to be the one to break the big NRL scandal so as a result 'beer flicking' has become big time stuff.

Humphrey

Juniors
I was wrong about which player would be on Ch9, but the Anthony Watmough story could be classified under the thread title ( obviously more dangerous & potential for a tragedy, but it seems a minority of players can make poor choices on multiple occasions - just like people in general )

:lol:

Latest posts