What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Johns blasts "hopeless" Knights

Footin mouth

Juniors
Our problem lies at half and 5/8. I'm soory to say this but Mullen and Roberts are a little overrated. Mullen is not a leader and never will be. Honestly we need to look at a new half and 5/8 who can drive and push the forwards along. The only thing that Mullen did on Saturday night was to kick on the last tackle, he never dominated the game. He is never the type of player to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and dominate. There are a few that need to look a good look at themselves because there are players in the NSW side that would like to have a crack at FG.

perverse

Referee
There are a few that need to look a good look at themselves because there are players in the NSW side that would like to have a crack at FG.
they are welcome to put their hand up. getting beaten handily for the past month hasn't helped any of their causes. they've had 60 put on them recently... and this is NSW cup level. there's a difference between wanting a crack at first grade, and earning a crack at first grade. if they were as keen as you say they are, they would be tearing the house down there first.

i'm not even going to get into the Mullen thing again. it's f**king ridiculous, ludicrous. Mullens not a half, it's well documented that he struggles to lead a team around. note that Buderus is also struggling to lead this mob around. as is Houston. as is Willie. we have leaders out there, the rest of the squad is not responding.

Yosh

Coach
Our problem lies at half and 5/8. I'm soory to say this but Mullen and Roberts are a little overrated. Mullen is not a leader and never will be. Honestly we need to look at a new half and 5/8 who can drive and push the forwards along. The only thing that Mullen did on Saturday night was to kick on the last tackle, he never dominated the game. He is never the type of player to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and dominate. There are a few that need to look a good look at themselves because there are players in the NSW side that would like to have a crack at FG.

Well he shouldn't have to. He has amazing running game and a great kicking game. It's just being wasted at our club because we don't have a structure in place to make use of his best attributes.

You're right about the half situation. HOWEVER, I think we need 2 or 3 good forwards before we a half...

Misanthrope

Staff member
I've always thought Mullen wouldn't make a bad centre. The guy has a brilliant running game and his long kicking is top shelf, but he offers nothing on an organisational or short game.

perverse

Referee
or he could just be our 5/8th, do a great job of it, and have a halfback inside him that can somehow manage the basic task of steering a team around to a gameplan a la Hornby.

there's this effort by everyone to reinvent Mullen. always has been. there's nothing wrong with him. you're expecting things from him that arn't there, never were there and don't even need to be there. yes, Johns could do everything standing on his head, but most players can't - Mullen certainly included. what's wrong with finding a halfback that will compliment him? developing one, even? we've re-signed every single one of our young halves, including Adrian Davis even. Bennett wouldn't be re-signing these blokes if he didn't think they had a role to play. he's had a look at them now.

there arn't many 5/8ths in the comp that look good without a competent partner. Mullen has never had one. actually, Mullen's never even had the opportunity to play with the same bloke for more than a few bloody weeks at a time. yet the fingers still point his way. he's been our lone half for god knows how long... and everyone seems to blame him that he can't just be a lone-wolf half that does everything for us and more. it's not the way it works for mere mortals, i'm afraid.

our club, our state and our fans have done everything possible to make this guys career as awkward as possible. just let the bloke play footy ffs. he's been amongst our best all year. he's not the bloke who is going to pull us out of the shit when things go wrong - but neither have the other 16 blokes out there with him. why isn't Buderus copping it for the apparent lack of leadership at the moment?

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
They DONT like being told what to do JW, The inmates prefer running the asylum :crazy:

Aint that the truth. Seems to be the culture at the club. Taking a while to get with the program.

Bennett's mantra of keeping it simple is proving difficult for this lot.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
or he could just be our 5/8th, do a great job of it, and have a halfback inside him that can somehow manage the basic task of steering a team around to a gameplan a la Hornby.

there's this effort by everyone to reinvent Mullen. always has been. there's nothing wrong with him. you're expecting things from him that arn't there, never were there and don't even need to be there. yes, Johns could do everything standing on his head, but most players can't - Mullen certainly included. what's wrong with finding a halfback that will compliment him? developing one, even? we've re-signed every single one of our young halves, including Adrian Davis even. Bennett wouldn't be re-signing these blokes if he didn't think they had a role to play. he's had a look at them now.

there arn't many 5/8ths in the comp that look good without a competent partner. Mullen has never had one. actually, Mullen's never even had the opportunity to play with the same bloke for more than a few bloody weeks at a time. yet the fingers still point his way. he's been our lone half for god knows how long... and everyone seems to blame him that he can't just be a lone-wolf half that does everything for us and more. it's not the way it works for mere mortals, i'm afraid.

our club, our state and our fans have done everything possible to make this guys career as awkward as possible. just let the bloke play footy ffs. he's been amongst our best all year. he's not the bloke who is going to pull us out of the shit when things go wrong - but neither have the other 16 blokes out there with him. why isn't Buderus copping it for the apparent lack of leadership at the moment?
:clap:

A-f**king-men brother!

Mullen has never had a constructive forward pack to play behind his whole career bar 2006. Mullen looked dangerous in 2006. He gets picked in 2007 for origin cos he was plan B when Joey retired. He has never been given a fair deal for mine.

perverse

Referee
i suppose we can just forget the fact that Mullo took a heavy head knock and was seeing double days later... to the point where the club doctor suspected a fractured eye socket?

Mullens toughness is often overlooked on here. I can't remember him ever not finishing a game after getting injured. I'm sure it's happened, but he's often had a remarkable amount of guts to either finish out games, or even just play week after week with persistent injuries.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Mullos an easy scapegoat, simple as that. He is expected by some to be the next Joey and has never been able to live up to it. Who could? What chance does the bloke have when he's never had the chance to be himself

bluesbreaker

Bench
To paraphrase Kerry packer, f**k that, gyngell, buy him a new f**kin neck.

Strap on the boots Joey, don't be scared.

Jono078

Referee
Of all things negative this year, Mullen isn't one that should be copping the blame, he would be right down the pecking order of players to blame.

When exactly did The Herald turn traitor on our great club do u feel? It at least feels that way given they can't accept Wayne limits their access to the players when he feels it is warranted.. He has eased that up a fair bit. Keeble and Dillon should know any new coach takes time to build trust with journos. The comments section is bitter stuff to read.

Rolla

Juniors
In Newcastle the role of the teams 'best player' is to carry the team and win everything regardless of the rest of the squad. The other 16 are irrelevant cos it isn't their job to win. Mullen isn't doing that so we need to sack him and bring in a new 'best player'.

Are there any new 'best players' on the market at the moment? I am thinking we need one player with the influence of the entire Melbourne 'big three', then the masses will be happy.

Jono078

Referee
True that.

It's like Parra, still looking for the next Sterlo.

But if we were looking for that new best player SBW goes alright. He is the Andrew Johns of forwards. At least that's what I last thought of him until he left the league.

Latest posts