What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Johns/Immortal

Should Johns be made an immortal if he switches codes?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

legend

Coach
If and when Johns crosses over to Rugby, do you think the powers that be will try and use his eventual status as an immortal to try and sway him into staying with League?

IMO, if Johns does go, he should not be afforded the status of immortal because he did not finish his professional playing career in Rugby League.

JW

Coach
Not just on that, but for the way he is treating the game,club and people/fans that have given him what he has. If he had handled this differently, maybe, a big maybe.

I would like to think becoming an immortal goes beyond personal skill your ability to play the game, in my opinion anyway.

Cheers.

There are more deserving players in the last 20 years anyway.
I rate Daley, Stuart, Langer, Lewis, Sterling, Kenny & Meninga above Johns as players I've seen. I think Lockyer will surpass him in about 3 years too.

But hell nah he should never be given ANYTHING if he switches.

legend

Coach
Agreed, sportsmanship and attitude would be big contributing factors, something Johns lacks in bucketloads IMO.

If he goes so be it, but he has royally screwed over the Knights and I feel sorry for the club itself. They lost Kennedy because they believed in principal they had a verbal agreement with Johns but a week later, his manager turns the tables and is basically screwing with Newcastle. The fans, the coach, the players and the game deserves better than the contempt with which he has treated everyone.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Seeing as he never really dominated Representative football in the way that a Lewis, Churchill or Raper did; will he even become an Immortal??

Cheers,
Ben S.

Southernsaint said:
Seeing as he never really dominated Representative football in the way that a Lewis, Churchill or Raper did; will he even become an Immortal??

Cheers,
Ben S.

Exactly. Johns has won a grand total of 1 origin series playing at halback. Stuart won 4 out of 5.

legend

Coach
Ricky Stuart has probably had the most distinguished League career along with Brad Fittler and Glenn Lazarus.

All have won Kangaroo tours, SOO series, multiple premierships etc but are they recognised as being the equal of Johns in terms of ability? Fittler perhaps, but many would argue Stuart and Lazarus are not at the same level.

JW

Coach
Our current immortals are true legends, respected in every area of life.

It is a great tradition to continue into the future. Immortal status shouldn't just be handed out here 'n there.

Like I said, id like to think it goes beyond skill and ability.

To show contempt they way he has for the very game, club and fans which i'd say was, and has been, 'considering' him as a future immortal is a slap in the face.

What a farce it would be if Johns was given this highest honour whilst playing a Test with the Wallabies.

Cheers.

syphon

Juniors
he is the best player the game of rugby league has even seen. Dread the day when these awards are also considered on political grounds. Will make a mockery of the whole thing in the knowledge the greatest ever player was not an immortal.

OVP

Coach
How the hell could anybody who has only played a handful of Test matches even be considered an Immortal?

Brad Fittler, Laurie Daley, Mal Meninga should ALL be considered way before Johns.

legend

Coach
If the greatest ever player finished his playing career in another sport, then he automatically disqualifies himself IMO. I think that is fairly straight forward if you ask me.

syphon said:
he is the best player the game of rugby league has even seen. Dread the day when these awards are also considered on political grounds. Will make a mockery of the whole thing in the knowledge the greatest ever player was not an immortal.

What do you know about rugby league? i mean really? dont come in here trying to force-feed us some crap about him being the best player ever. You don't even watch League so you dont have the right to voice that opinion.

Andrew Johns is NOT the best player ever. Channel 9 just needs to get off his nuts and stop spouting that crap.

syphon

Juniors
Dirk DIGgler said:
syphon said:

What do you know about rugby league? i mean really? dont come in here trying to force-feed us some crap about him being the best player ever. You don't even watch League so you dont have the right to voice that opinion.

Andrew Johns is NOT the best player ever. Channel 9 just needs to get off his nuts and spouting that crap.
of course i watch league you imbecile, though it's probably easier to write off opinions that contradict your own as someone who doesnt watch it.

Oh yeah, and try telling me those people on channel 9 also don't know their RL. Fact is they know a damn sight more than you ever will.

lockyno1

Post Whore
maybe 20 years down the track. But not until he retires from union/league.

He may not have won representative series' for NSW but he still won 2 premierships for Newcastle against the odds in both years. Look what he has done to the town of Newcastle in the broader picture.

He does deserve to be an immortal but not until at least 20 years down the track when other deserving winners are given.

The halfbacks that would be ahead of him would be Langer, Stuart, Sterling, just to name a few. So he will have to wait. But eventaully he will get in for the service he has given rugby league.

OVP

Coach
legend said:
If the greatest ever player finished his playing career in another sport, then he automatically disqualifies himself IMO. I think that is fairly straight forward if you ask me.

But even if he stays mate, how the hell could you consider him anyway ? He's only played a few Test matches. Anyone know where i can find out exactly ?

JW

Coach
he is the best player the game of rugby league has even seen

Subject to opinion.

'The best player' tag is potentially a farce in its own right. Depending on position, Rugby League players play totally different roles in a game.

Is it any wonder that when we mention or ask "Who is the best player in the game?", it is always a half-back or a five-eighth.

I won't enter a debate on Johns' status over his career, 'cause I too believe he is one of the best half-backs in this era, but becoming an immortal should take more than that.

It was no certainty he would become one before this news broke. There are some living legends and legends that are sadly no longer with us who have not even been considered. Johns too, had to wait in line.

It's not polotics, its about how he feels about the game, club and people who are considering weather or not to award him this honour. His treatment of these people suggests at least a part of how he's feeling. He is holding our game for ransom, he is putting himself above the game that made him - great player or not, not the type person who should be immortalised in my opinion.

Cheers.

syphon

Juniors
true JW... halfbacks and five-eighths in particular get far more credit due to their high levels of involvement than forwards especially, and their ability to be aligned with try scoring plays. They play little role early on in the set but because they play a part at the money end their importance/ability is slighlty overrated in general

bazza

Immortal
syphon said:

I know you love AFL syphon - so perhaps you could answer why AFL's greatest ever player Gary Ablett has never been inducted into the Hall of Fame?