What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Johnson or Moylan..?

Omnishark2

Juniors
I still feel like SJ isn’t the man. Something else is on the radar it seems.
Well what other playmaker is out there with a better kicking game than SJ, who's going to provide better value for money than SJ for 2 years at 600k ?

Noone currently playing NRL, that's for sure.
If they're decent, they will cost more than 600k.
Otherwise they will be a worse option than SJ, and won't cost much less.

The club and SJ should just kiss & make up.

Just think we could have both Nico & SJ for the price of one Ben Hunt ... that puts it in context !

Frenzy.

Immortal
Hynes has been bought to play half.

Moylan is in talks to stay

SJ has a bus ticket. His best hope is no one takes him and Moyza does himself another mischief so he can start negotiating.

Omnishark2

Juniors
Whether Hynes wears 6 or 7 - he's a running half, not primarily an organiser.
Making him our main kicker next year will be setting him up to fail.

Isn't the talk that Moylan doesn't like our 1 year offer, and is sounding out UK clubs ?

Even if Moysa does stay 1 more year, we are kicking the tin down the road, the same question will apply:

What playmaker will be available out with a better kicking game than SJ, who's going to provide better value for money than SJ for 2 years at 600k ?

I am 100% on board with the Fitz cleanout, but I think this is one that will bite us down the track.

R-15-3

Bench
Why does everyone think Hynes can’t be an organising half or can’t kick??
Just because he is used as a running player currently at the storm doesn’t mean he is a 1 trick pony.
I see him as a half that will demand the ball, will be steering every play of the set, a half with fast feet and fast hands.
It will be his team and he will walk in the club and will have everyone believing in him from day 1.

bluefox68

Staff member
Possibilities:

(A) 7. Hynes / 6. Moylan / 14. Trindall

(B) 7. Trindall / 6. Hynes / 14. Moylan

(C) 7. Hynes / 6. Metcalf / 14. Moylan

(D) 7. Pearce / 6. Hynes / 14. Moylan

(E) 7. SJ / 6. Hynes / 14. Moylan

(F) 7. Hynes / 6. Tracey / 14. Moylan

Honestly, if we had the choice, wouldn't we go for D?

R-15-3

Bench
Possibilities:

(A) 7. Hynes / 6. Moylan / 14. Trindall

(B) 7. Trindall / 6. Hynes / 14. Moylan

(C) 7. Hynes / 6. Metcalf / 14. Moylan

(D) 7. Pearce / 6. Hynes / 14. Moylan

(E) 7. SJ / 6. Hynes / 14. Moylan

(F) 7. Hynes / 6. Tracey / 14. Moylan

Honestly, if we had the choice, wouldn't we go for D?
G. Non of the above

Ozzi_78

First Grade
So when a contract ends and a club doesn’t offer an extension is that the clubs call? Or do you see it as the end of the agreement?

Shaun likes to specifically say it was the sharks call and not his. Funny how when the shoe is on the other foot the players have no issues calling out clubs but when a player wants to ditch a club early you don’t hear from the club.

bluefox68

Staff member
The whole SJ discussion is interesting...

Nice bloke - so EMOTIONAL ATTACHMENT
Can play - so MENTAL (LOGICAL) ATTACHMENT
We don't like to dump Sharkies faves - SO PSYCHOLOGICAL ATTACHMENT

BUT...

He is OLD...
He is recovering from a series of INJURIES...
He is NOT AS LOYAL as he makes out...

We DO need another half, but who is it going to be? None of us (?) know, but we are certainly headed in the right direction, because the Sharks of old would've just re-signed all of these blokes...

Inferno

Coach

Shaun Johnson

13h ·

The moments you dream of! No better feeling than getting a dub with my balas
🙌🏽

If ya missed it, after the game I cleared up any confusion around my future at the Sharks. I won’t be at the club next year, which was their decision not mine. I’m grateful for the 3 years they’ve given me and can’t wait to repay that for the remainder of the season. I’ll keep you posted as soon as I know what’s next.
Till then let’s keep rolling and finish the year with a smile. UpUp

Seems a backflip from the Sharks and/or SJ is pretty unlikely.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Good. As I said above... the way he frames it is it’s our fault. Of course you want to stay Shaun.

IFWT

Frenzy.

Immortal
Whether Hynes wears 6 or 7 - he's a running half, not primarily an organiser.
Making him our main kicker next year will be setting him up to fail.

Isn't the talk that Moylan doesn't like our 1 year offer, and is sounding out UK clubs ?

Even if Moysa does stay 1 more year, we are kicking the tin down the road, the same question will apply:

What playmaker will be available out with a better kicking game than SJ, who's going to provide better value for money than SJ for 2 years at 600k ?

I am 100% on board with the Fitz cleanout, but I think this is one that will bite us down the track.

SJ: Jeepers!! Neither is Johnson. Do you pay attention to him when the side is under pressure like the second half against Penrith. He goes missing. It's why the Warriors showed him the door in the first place.

NH: How so, Hynes played all his junior footy as a half (6/7). He has a kicking game, don't worry about that. He'll wear 7, he's played a lot there in QLD Cup, along with 1 and 6.

MM: Might be, I haven't heard or read that anywhere and he is in negotions with Fitz of Fury now

MM: Disagree heaps. The long game is being played out. This is a rebuliding phase without doubt. If Moylan stays it will likely be him 6, Hynes 7 with a host of backups. Sharls won't spend to the cap limit just for spendings sake. If the right guys aren't available for 2022, put some in the war chest and have a tilt at the best available half for 2023.

SJ: Like it or not his kicking game is barely different to CTs with the exception of a spiral bomb. The tactic of where to kick hasn't changed since CT was dropped. Kicked to corner and chase and leave them struggling.

CF: Good, then you'll understand the need for patience and that everything doesn't have to happenin 2022. Long game Omni, long game :)

Nicho in 7 in some QLD Cup games below

Bob Scott

Juniors
What SJ needs to understand is his and our position .

Our position , in a rebuild of sorts , and looking to to do it the right way , not splashing the big bucks even when we have them . Just recruited the hottest aspiring HC in Fitz , just recruited the hottest young crash hot half . Both of whom could be here for many years to come and be the foundation for success for years to come .
With possibly a couple of more astute recruits to bring in and a host of young guns who have come thru the club ranks and showing they are up to FG level this club should/will be challenging for another premiership in the next 2/3 years .

SJ's position , he's 31 , recovering from a serious achilles injury , and still performing as he always has , hot and cold . 12 inches to the right or lower and that drop kick doesn't get us home , and we're all going bring back CT , just joking . On Friday he was good on attack and his kicking was good , but his defence was shaky at best .

So he has to ask does he want to move to another club that's in shit position just for the bucks , or does he show the management he wants to stay , to be part of the rebuild and possibly go deep into finals with a gun team on the up with the chance of a ring , for a few less bucks .

Now this is all moot if Fitz has decided that he just doesn't want SJ here for whatever reason , or maybe he's waiting for SJ to show him he wants to be a part of whatever happens over the next 2/3+ seasons . Maybe Fitz is happy to work with what we have next year to wait for the right fit to play with NH .

I know who's in the stronger position at present and the club will be fine either way . This is for SJ to fix , sit down with Fitz and the club and show them he's on board for the next 2 years . If what he say's is true and he's not after 900k then this should be an easy fix , if both parties want . Maybe the club just wants to feel his want .

What i will say for myself is that i have full confidence in Fitz and the management and the direction we are taking , and i have never been more confident in the direction of the club on the field . What we showed in the first half on Friday is that we are not a long way off where we want to be , and i can't wait for next season to start , already .

Latest posts