What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jones available for Tri-Nations Test

Frederick

Staff member
SMH said:
Jones available for Tri-Nations Test
SMH said:
October 25, 2005 - 5:34AM

New Zealand halfback Stacey Jones has extended his rugby league Test career by one more week, making himself available for Saturday's Tri-Nations Test against Great Britain in London.

Kiwis coach Brian McClennan said Jones was to join the squad from France for the Test at Loftus Road.

After coming out of retirement to play the opening two Tests against Australia, Jones, 29, had cast doubts over his availability for the remainder of the tournament.

He cited commitments with new French club Les Catalans who he will join for next year's British Super League competition while his wife is expecting their third child next month.

McClennan marvelled at the 36-Test halfback's commitment to the Kiwis cause.

"It wasn't that long ago that Stacey was retiring from international football, it was like it was all over," McClennan told Radio Sport.

"But Stacey's come to help us out and in the course of him helping us out he has loved the environment so much that he wants to play on.

"It's proof that the environment we have in the Kiwi camp is an environment where players enjoy themselves and want to be a part of it."

After Saturday's Test there is a two-week gap before the Kiwis face Great Britain again, at Huddersfield. Jones is almost certain to miss that match.

"At this stage it's looking like this will be his last game," McLennan said.
source = Sydney Morning Herald

What explaining have I got to do.

WOW....a whole game.....lets do cartwheels and throw a party. :roll:

Im just glad NZ has real leaders like Rubin Wiki who would walk through a blast furnace to even get the chance to wear a Black jersey.

Its ironic that Wiki will bgreak the record for the most Test caps on the same night that Jones quits for good to join a team that doesnt play a game untill next year.

nospam49™ said:
What explaining have I got to do.

WOW....a whole game.....lets do cartwheels and throw a party. :roll:

Im just glad NZ has real leaders like Rubin Wiki who would walk through a blast furnace to even get the chance to wear a Black jersey.

Its ironic that Wiki will bgreak the record for the most Test caps on the same night that Jones quits for good to join a team that doesnt play a game untill next year.

i hat players that keep holding their position just for the sake of it (that is no reference to ruben wiki the champ he still owns the jersey).

i.e. freeman at the world cup in 95 and his tantrums.

time for a new player to take up the reins like stacey did in 95

Oh....I see. So your spinning it as a graceful player moving asdie for a youngster to step in.

What youngster? Where is here?Where is this great player that Jones is letting pass through?

Give me a break! :roll:

Scott

Bench
Stacey Jones is coming back to NZ to be with his wife who is due to give birth on the day of the Tri Series final. That is the only reason he is only available for this game on the UK leg.

Nothing to do with French commitments.

Yes, yes......always an excuse for Stacey.

I feel sorry for his wife. Its has to be a world record, being in Labor for three weeks.

Harko

Juniors
That's right Freak cause your not good enough to play for your country :)

The bloke wants to get back to his family, how can you fault that?

I think its well know that I would rather cheer for Great Britain then play for New Zealand...so that not an even an issue. :D

But just when his country need him....he wont be there.....AGAIN.

If only NZ had more committed leaders, true men like Rubin Wiki.

After the birth, is there a chance he could go back and play in the reamining games?

Does anyone remember NBA player Alonzo Mourning, who was in Sydney for the 2000Olympics, flew back to the US for the birth of his child, then returned to Aus to finish the Games?

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Why does he have to keep coming out of retirement separately for each game? It's ridiculous. Can't do much for team unity/stability.

dingalingbell

Juniors
I seem to remember Webcke being asked if he'd come back to play in Origin 3 2005 and he said a resounding 'no' as he said it would be percieved to be cherry picking his games for his state, he said it wouldn't be fair on the other blokes vying for the spot and it would be disrespecting the jersey. Its a shame that Jones couldn't have shown the same respect for the Kiwi jersey.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Rubin Wiki LF ?

Back in April, you were saying the fault of NZ in that game was Wiki and Rauhihi were not up to the task of leading NZ from the front row and it was time both were put out to pasture.

Latest posts