What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jordan Pereira Extends

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
We already had him signed to 2020 so that beggars a couple of questions for me.
  1. Which club was chasing him to force our hand so early?
  2. Who out of our promising juniors and developing players is leaving due to lack of opportunity?
  3. Is Pereira the type of signing we have to have due to the current coach who is probably going to be extended very soon?

Did you mean to create a post chock full of rhetorical question?

getsmarty

Immortal
March 11 2019 - 3:30PM
Pereira eager to build in 2019
Dragons Den
r0_150_5184_3065_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Off and running: Jordan Pereira is looking to secure a starting position after signing a contract extension with the Dragons. Picture: Robert Peet.

St George Illawarra winger Jordan Pereira is determined to repay the faith the club has shown in him after he extended his stay in Wollongong until 2021.

After re-signing with the Dragons for the 2019 and 2020 seasons last September, the 25-year-old has agreed to a one-year extension after impressing throughout the pre-season.

With Jason Nightingale retiring and Nene Macdonald departing for the Cowboys, the Dragons have two positions on the wing open for the taking this season and Pereira is determined to ensure that he locks down one of those two slots.

"That's the goal that I came into preseason with," Pereira said. "That's the mentality that I've come to adopt, it's my jersey and I don't want to give it to anyone else. I want to work as hard as I possibly can to ensure that I cement that jersey.

"Hopefully I've done that, but obviously it's a performance-driven industry and I have to perform where it counts and that's on game day. I can't just train hard, train like Tarzan, play like Jane, so I've got to perform on the day and hopefully lock down a spot for not just this season but next season."

After arriving at the Dragons in mid-2017, Pereira has rapidly developed from a virtual unknown to a starter.

"I was on the bottom of the hierarchy last year, where I’m at now is definitely an improvement to where I was. We have some of the best coaching staff in the comp, just to make things like this possible. Ben Hornby’s been massively influential in upskilling my one-percenters, making sure I’m doing all the little things right."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5948123/pereira-eager-to-build-in-2019/?cs=3713

Old Timer

Coach
Did you mean to create a post chock full of rhetorical question?
It was as a result of the mood I was in at the time, if you know what I mean.
Nothing like shoring up our ISP quality players long term as there is a distinct shortage of them.

rasaint

Juniors
Great attitude and gives his best.

Sorry not a 1st grade winger. Speed please. Only watching the beautiful setup for Jordan to score in the 2nd minute of Broncos semi by Dufty ( our best fullback) running around one and drawing the other. Jordan lacked the speed to get to the line, before running out.

Anyway, 3 years now and good luck to Jordan.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Just a curiosity question.

How "slow" is Periera? I mean has someone timed his sprints? How far behind Pearson and Ravalawa is he, like 1m, 10m, 20m?

Maybe @Dragonsamy can answer these questions?

nontime111

Juniors
I just hope Jonus Pearson cracks into high gear and passes poor Jordan as soon as possible so we have 2 FAST wingers....Ravi is quick as youll see in the Cowboys game Im so excited to see him run, Im going for our team no matter what the make up if Aitken fires all good, Im a positive supporter and love the Dragons I, in no way wish to hex them or Aitken if hes at centre ahead of Lomax before the first game but if he stays crap theres no need to panic we do have Lomax waiting in the wings, I think hell soom take back over as he did last season faster than you think, after a few rounds I hope our backline looks like this...

widdop
pearson
lomax ( like I said or IF Aitken DOES fire well thats good also)
lafai
ravalawa
norman
hunt

Dragonsamy

Bench
Just a curiosity question.

How "slow" is Periera? I mean has someone timed his sprints? How far behind Pearson and Ravalawa is he, like 1m, 10m, 20m?

Maybe @Dragonsamy can answer these questions?

Dragonslayer
Over short sprints say 20 to 40m he would be
Behind Duffy, field,Ravalawa and Pearson.
Over longer distant
Field, dufty, ravalawa and Pearson are still the quickest. He would be next with guys like lomax, Saab.
It might surprise a few people but frizz and Atkins are also up there as is T. Sims over the first 20.
But it all comes down to what that can do under pressure of a game.
To me dufty and Is I are easily the quickest with Rav and Pearson not far behind

possm

Coach
Mary must have a thing for slow wingers.

Mary likes his backs to play no fuss football, no frills or thrills. Just run straight and hard and get to a quick play the ball; just like his forwards. A one dimensional coach wanting one dimensional players to play to his one dimensional instructions.

possm

Coach
Dragonslayer
Over short sprints say 20 to 40m he would be
Behind Duffy, field,Ravalawa and Pearson.
Over longer distant
Field, dufty, ravalawa and Pearson are still the quickest. He would be next with guys like lomax, Saab.
It might surprise a few people but frizz and Atkins are also up there as is T. Sims over the first 20.
But it all comes down to what that can do under pressure of a game.
To me dufty and Is I are easily the quickest with Rav and Pearson not far behind

Where did you get this from, I've been trying to get official stats on this for quite some time without success.

Old Timer

Coach
Periera want be scoring any long range tries going on that info from Dragonsamy ...
He is already taking on the bulked up body shape so will get even slower
Our wingers should be doing stretching & yoga as well rather than just weights.
It really amazes me that our coaching staff don’t go back and have a look at the body shape of our former speedsters like Blacklock, B Moz, Mundine none of them were these over muscled action figure shaped players that we have today and none of what we have today is a patch on them for speed except the skinny little blokes.
We f**ked Dugan and learnt nothing from it.

Dragonsamy

Bench
He is already taking on the bulked up body shape so will get even slower
Our wingers should be doing stretching & yoga as well rather than just weights.
It really amazes me that our coaching staff don’t go back and have a look at the body shape of our former speedsters like Blacklock, B Moz, Mundine none of them were these over muscled action figure shaped players that we have today and none of what we have today is a patch on them for speed except the skinny little blokes.
We f**ked Dugan and learnt nothing from it.

OT
Spot on even today guys like Josh Ato car.
Great players not overly big

getsmarty

Immortal
pereiraj_rc1_8988.jpg

DRAGONS

Kiwi-born Pereira puts hand up for England
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Tue 12 Mar 2019, 11:01 AM
walterbrad-head.png

After being rewarded for his rapid rise to being St George Illawarra's No.1 winger with a contract extension, Jordan Pereira has revealed that he is available for England selection.

Pereira, who is expected to be the first winger picked by Dragons coach Paul McGregor for Saturday night’s opening round trip to North Queensland, was born in New Zealand to a Samoan father and English mother so he qualifies for all three nations.

"I suppose it is not really my option because someone has to pick me but in terms of my eligibility, England is an option, New Zealand is an option and Samoa is an option," Pereira said.

"I love playing footy whether it is park footy, reserve grade or NRL so if I get the opportunity to play any representative games I am ready to roll."

Asked if he had a preference, the 25-year-old said he would be proud to represent any of the three nations.

Dragons season preview - NRL Teams

"I grew up in New Zealand but I wasn't raised by Kiwis, I was raised by an English woman and my dad is from Samoa so it is hard to pick," he said. "I don't really know what I am – I just call myself a human."

However, Pereira said he had let St George Illawarra team-mate James Graham know ahead of last year’s three-Test series against the Kiwis that he was eligible for England through his mother Lesley, who migrated to New Zealand when she was 20.

With Sydney Roosters recruit Ryan Hall sidelined by a knee injury, England did not have an established left winger but Tommy Makinson earned the nod from Wayne Bennett and won the Golden Boot as 2018 International Player of the Year.

I grew up in New Zealand ... I was raised by an English woman and my dad is from Samoa so it is hard to pick

Dragons winger Jordan Pereira
"James is obviously a proud Englishman and I tried to tell him to get the coach to put me into the team for the Kiwis tour at the end of the year," Pereira said.

After having to wait until Round 19 last season to make his NRL debut, Pereira has cemented his position in the Dragons backline and can now be considered the club's No.1 winger following the retirement of Jason Nightingale and Nene Macdonald's departure to the Cowboys.

He signed a new two-year deal with St George Illawarra in September and this week agreed to stay a further 12 months until the end of the 2021 season.

"There's some really dark places I had to go through to get here. I just didn't give up," he said.

"I was knocked back many times but it didn't faze me because I was grateful to be playing whatever grade I was in. Rugby league is so much fun."

While his future is now secure, Pereira knows he cannot rest on his laurels and is determined to keep working hard to establish himself in the NRL.

"I know for a fact I was on the bottom of the hierarchy this time last year so it is definitely an improvement to where I was," Pereira said of suggestions he was now McGregor’s first choice winger.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/03/12/kiwi-born-pereira-puts-hand-up-for-england/

getsmarty

Immortal
pereiraj-190505_gt_3.jpg

DRAGONS

Pereira disappointed over sin-binning
Author
Tanisha Stanton NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Mon 6 May 2019, 08:01 PM
stantontanisha-head.png

St George Illawarra winger Jordan Pereira left the field at Bankwest Stadium earlier than expected red-faced and hot under the collar.

Pereira was frustrated after copping the first sin-binning of his career in the 32-18 loss to the Eels – marched in the 74th minute of Sunday's clash after he was ruled to have pushed Mitchell Moses in the back in a chase for the ball.

The 26-year-old speedster was angry at himself for leaving his teammates one player short for the closing stages of the match but said he thought he had not done anything to warrant being banished.

"I've never been sent off before," Pereira said.

"I'm really disappointed in myself – I feel like I let the team down.

"I didn't believe there was any foul play from point of view – I was just competing for the ball.

"I competed in a previous play with Blake Ferguson but I came off second best with him getting a try so I wanted to redeem myself and compete as much as I could to get the ball.

"I thought it was a fair contest but it's a tough one when someone falls over, it always looks bad but my eyes were all for the ball."

Match Highlights: Eels v Dragons

Sunday's performance means the Dragons have suffered back-to-back losses after they suffered their first defeat in five games the previous week against the Roosters at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

In more bad news for the Dragons, Corey Norman will undergo surgery on Tuesday for a fractured cheekbone, while fellow stars Gareth Widdop (shoulder), Korbin Sims (broken arm) and Jack de Belin, who has been stood down by the NRL, are also unavailable.

Second-rower Tyson Frizell's eye injury is not serious and the club believes he will be fit for Saturday's Magic Round stoush with the Warriors at Suncorp Stadium.

Pereira said the absence of several stars presented an opportunity for some of the team's inexperienced players to step up to the challenge.

"Everyone was really upset in the shed after the game," Pereira said.

"But that's the good thing about rugby league we have an opportunity next week to redeem ourselves.

"Losing Normie is a big one but we have good depth within the squad and there are boys there ready to go.

"We as a unit need to step up and support each other.

"I feel we owe it to the boys who are out to produce a solid performance on Saturday against the Warriors to get us back on track."

Warriors v Dragons - Magic Round

Warriors v Dragons
What will be the result of their round 9 clash?

Warriors v Dragons What will be the result of their round 9 clash?
  • Warriors 1-10
    0%
  • Warriors 11+
    0%
  • Dragons 1-10
    0%
  • Dragons 11+
    0%

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/05/07/pereira-disappointed-over-sin-binning/