What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Kerr

mobels

Juniors
You appear to be another poster who only reads part of a post, series of posts relating to a thread.
You seem to be hell bent on taking issue without taking the whole context of the conversation into account.
You need to learn to read because that is not what I said re recruiting from outside.
In respect of Quinlan your argument is flawed because I never thought he was 1st grade material.
You are also making the assumption that Kerr is 1st grade material but those within our own ranks are not.
Which one of our front row juniors do you think will be first grade material then? The two props with actual potential at this point in time to play first grade, Host and Sele have been moved up. The fact of the matter is we have 4 props for next year (Packer, Ah Mau, Mose, Sims) and a drastic drop off after that.

I've never made the assumption that Kerr is 1st grade material, if you were able to take context from my posts I said I have 0 problem with us recruiting him because he's:

1. Cheap
2. Young
3. Huge
4. Comes from a succesful system and has played rep's for his age group.

How you could complain over him taking a spot from someone in NSW Cup that isn't even contracted with the club is beyond me. If he works out great, we have another great prop. If he doesn't, it's not like were losing anything out from trying.

So please tell me how this is such an issue for the club to sign him when he is quite literally taking no ones spot in the club. Who would you rather take his developmental spot as a prop in the club?

BennyV

Referee
Making some valid points OT...but..

Who do I rate highly on performance this year Dugan, Mann, Aitken, Frizzell.
Those showing something to look forward to Packer (maybe should be on the above line), Milne, Sims (jury still out), Host, Leilua.

...bet it hurt to write that!!!

Old Timer

Coach
Making some valid points OT...but..

...bet it hurt to write that!!!
Benny
In another post I did say I would give credit where it was due and I have already done that.
If he continues to improve and he becomes a concurrently good and intimidating forward I will happily say I got it wrong but the fat lady ain't singing quite yet.

Old Timer

Coach
Mobels
I have consistently said I believe J DB should be in the gym bulking up and then we wouldn't necessarily need another prop.
The reason behind that logic is so we can retain the back rowers from our U/20's or those that have gone to the Cutters from the U/20's because IMO we do not have real ball playing, line breaking, high quality back rowers and we need to improve that area thus the logic behind keeping Host and Leilua and a few others from the junior ranks to come through as well.
You make an assumption he didn't cost much but in fact you do not have any idea of his cost nor do you acknowledge we gave him a 3 year contract which if he doesn't work out is a long time for an unproven player.
My question to you is do you think there are any forwards from our U/20's who are worthy of an upgrade and inclusion in the NRL squad and if they aren't on contract should be?
I am not knocking Kerr I am having a go at our inability to sign our own best options first.
If Leilua doesn't sign with us will you be celebrating the signing of Kerr or lamenting the loss of Leilua who should have been at the forefront of all our efforts which apparently does not appear the case at this time?

Gareth67

First Grade
I hope that Josh Kerr is not already logged onto this web-site as the expectations already being put onto those young shoulders may be enough to ' rattle ' him before he even puts on a Dragons jersey . Let's give the man some breathing space .

Mr Red

First Grade
No so sure about that Mr Red.
We need a 7 & 9 of high quality so the cap savings from the above I suspect would possibly fall short of the money required to get the people being touted on this forum.

Old timer I think your maths is way out...
Barge ass reportedly 500k a season
I'm guessing Creagh is on at least 350k given the latter stages of his career?
That gives 850k straight up for a half.

Farrell 260k
Cooper probably 250k ?
If we source another hooker it would imply we let rein leave, so there's another 400k

Therefore with Farrell , cooper and rein gone you've got around 910k for leilua and another hooker...
lets just say if he leaves I don't think cash will be the reason......

Sigurd

Juniors
Isn't it funny - all roads lead to replacing our half and hooker (throw in coach too). Our squad doesn't look too bad if we get those positions right.

I got really excited when Sowie from the UK tweeted Norman and Seggy were coming. Thought all my dreams had come true.

Alas, was wishful thinking.

The absolute last thing the club needs is another young halfbacks confidence ruined by being blamed for Widdops sideways running or Widdops telegraphing every play he is involved in. The club needs a new 6, 7 and 9 in that order of urgency. Lolohea at 5/8 as he is in reserve grade for the Warriors this weekend, especially as they will likely get Foran. Hutchinson at 1/2 and god knows who at hooker as it looks like Farah won't be coming. If Widdop could tackle he could try hooker but alas.
Who do I rate highly on performance this year Dugan, Mann, Aitken, Frizzell.
Those showing something to look forward to Packer (maybe should be on the above line), Milne, Sims (jury still out), Host, Leilua.
DE Belin does a lot of tackling if that is consistently good he should never have talked it up as to how he was going to be the big ball player etc etc etc because he has underperformed by his own words.

I agree about Dugan and Frizzell but IMO jury is still out on Aitken but you rate Mann above JDB? Is this sarcasm? He was very poor at fullback and has been OK on the wing in his (4?) games there so far. Just ok. Look at Mansour and the guy who was supposed to be going to play fullback for the Grubs for a really good winger. IMO JDB is maybe not as good but he is far closer to Burgess, Gallen and etc than Mann is to Morris or Mansour.

Old Timer

Coach
The absolute last thing the club needs is another young halfbacks confidence ruined by being blamed for Widdops sideways running or Widdops telegraphing every play he is involved in. The club needs a new 6, 7 and 9 in that order of urgency. Lolohea at 5/8 as he is in reserve grade for the Warriors this weekend, especially as they will likely get Foran. Hutchinson at 1/2 and god knows who at hooker as it looks like Farah won't be coming. If Widdop could tackle he could try hooker but alas.

I agree about Dugan and Frizzell but IMO jury is still out on Aitken but you rate Mann above JDB? Is this sarcasm? He was very poor at fullback and has been OK on the wing in his (4?) games there so far. Just ok. Look at Mansour and the guy who was supposed to be going to play fullback for the Grubs for a really good winger. IMO JDB is maybe not as good but he is far closer to Burgess, Gallen and etc than Mann is to Morris or Mansour.
For some reason you now want to draw a ridiculous conclusion about me making a comparison between Mann and De Belin which I didn't do but now you have introduced it let me make the following points.
Mann
Plays in the backs came to the club this season, played 2 games at FB a different position than he played the year before at the Storm, played poorly and got dropped to the Cutters, fought his way back to 1st grade in an unfamiliar position LW and has improved every game since, has scored 8 tries (out of a team total of 49) in 10 games (including the failed first 2) has 1 try assist, 7 line breaks, 106 hit ups so not too shabby and looks like he is improving and has a bright future.

De Belin
Been at the club for a number of years with supposed potential and had stated at the start of the season he would be a ball playing, dominant forward who wanted to play SOO.
In 2016 he has played 18 games, 1 try, 1 try assist, no line breaks, 242 hit ups and a gazillion tackles. Jack this year has done what Jack has done every other year made a lot of f**king tackles which by the way is his job and he has again failed to deliver on what was expected of and by him.

To top it all off you then go on to draw a conclusion that De Belin is closer to Gallen and Burgess which is utter insanity IMO as whilst I detest Gallen and think he is over the hill, a hog at SOO and been there way too long and Burgess has had a bad year by his own lofty standards both of them would leave De Belin in their wake by some measure especially leadership and inspiration.

You then top it off with a comparison of Mann to B Moz and Mansour so are you trying to tell us Mann has been a failure at LW or achieved nothing. Mann has played on the end of a poorly fed backline and scored some excellent tries and showed some real heart so f**k B Moz and Mansour I am more than happy with Mann.

The Doc

Juniors
If they dont play in the red V then F#@K'em.
If they do play in the red V LOVE'em!!
B.Moz is a dog... Mann is the Man!!!
Think about it... its true :)

Sigurd

Juniors
For some reason you now want to draw a ridiculous conclusion about me making a comparison between Mann and De Belin which I didn't do but now you have introduced it let me make the following points.
Mann
Plays in the backs came to the club this season, played 2 games at FB a different position than he played the year before at the Storm, played poorly and got dropped to the Cutters, fought his way back to 1st grade in an unfamiliar position LW and has improved every game since, has scored 8 tries (out of a team total of 49) in 10 games (including the failed first 2) has 1 try assist, 7 line breaks, 106 hit ups so not too shabby and looks like he is improving and has a bright future.

De Belin
Been at the club for a number of years with supposed potential and had stated at the start of the season he would be a ball playing, dominant forward who wanted to play SOO.
In 2016 he has played 18 games, 1 try, 1 try assist, no line breaks, 242 hit ups and a gazillion tackles. Jack this year has done what Jack has done every other year made a lot of f**king tackles which by the way is his job and he has again failed to deliver on what was expected of and by him.

To top it all off you then go on to draw a conclusion that De Belin is closer to Gallen and Burgess which is utter insanity IMO as whilst I detest Gallen and think he is over the hill, a hog at SOO and been there way too long and Burgess has had a bad year by his own lofty standards both of them would leave De Belin in their wake by some measure especially leadership and inspiration.

You then top it off with a comparison of Mann to B Moz and Mansour so are you trying to tell us Mann has been a failure at LW or achieved nothing. Mann has played on the end of a poorly fed backline and scored some excellent tries and showed some real heart so f**k B Moz and Mansour I am more than happy with Mann.

If Mann has 7 line breaks and JDB has one try assist, it just confirms how ridiculous the statisticians are. I have watched all the Dragons games. I can't remember Mann once breaking the line. He barged over after being put in space, probably by JDB a few times but that isn't breaking the line like Mansaur does on a regular basis and like Morris did for his solo try last weekend.

If JDB only has one try assist it must have been from last weekend. It was him who took the ball to the line and passed to a rampaging Sims one one on one with a much smaller player who was never going to stop him. And JDB didn't telegraph to opposition that is what he was going to do 5 minutes before he did it. Unlike most of the "playmakers" in the team.

And how many running meters does JDB average per game?

I think it's time you came clean. What has this guy done that upset you so much that you rant like this now?

Sigurd

Juniors
If they dont play in the red V then F#@K'em.
If they do play in the red V LOVE'em!!
B.Moz is a dog... Mann is the Man!!!
Think about it... its true :)

You won't get any argument from me that Morris is a dog. He is however a much better winger than Mann. Remember Mann is being paid "a fullbacks salary" as that is the position he was brought in to play.

Regardless, I have never said Mann is "bad" only that JDB, who also plays for the Dragons for much longer than Mann, is a much better lock than Mann is a winger.

The Doc

Juniors
I know alot of things dude.
I actually speak to a few people within the club, Doust included.
I dont know every little detail about everything, im not at that level, but when i ask as a curious fan i get told.
Take it as gold Mann is on $220k a year.

Sigurd

Juniors
I dont know every little detail about everything, im not at that level, but when i ask as a curious fan i get told.

Hmmmmmm ok. How much is JDB on? If he is on less than double, he is a great value lock. If he on around 3 times, let's say anything over 550k (yes, I know that isn't 3 times 220k), I will agree with Old Timer that he needs to do better. Though of course Sam Burgess is apparently on over 1mil so compared to Burgess if JDB is on less than 700k he is good value.

The Doc

Juniors
Iv never asked about JDB so i cant really say.
As a guess i dont think JDB will be more then 300k... just a guess but i will find out.

BringTheNoise

Juniors

Is that a solid $220k a year for the length of his contract, a contract that averages out at $220k a year, a backended contract, a base salary of $220k a year with incentives added?

Not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely curious. $220k seems like such a small percentage of the cap for a player that was initially signed to play a key position.