What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Kerr

SnowDragon

Juniors
Is Kerr a reasonable replacement for Grapham when he retires next season?

I know little Sims and Lawrie are also in the fold... and likely above him... any others

I think there is a lot of promise in Kerr... and needs some first grade experience this year to evaluate if he will live up to it. A bit of confidence and the natural age effects and...

possm

Coach
Is Kerr a reasonable replacement for Grapham when he retires next season?

I know little Sims and Lawrie are also in the fold... and likely above him... any others

I think there is a lot of promise in Kerr... and needs some first grade experience this year to evaluate if he will live up to it. A bit of confidence and the natural age effects and...

I think we will have a better understanding of Kerr's potential for a first grade spot at the end of the 2019 season. I am just hoping he and the other young props are used off the bench in the prop rotation this season instead of Latimore and Allgood.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I think we will have a better understanding of Kerr's potential for a first grade spot at the end of the 2019 season. I am just hoping he and the other young props are used off the bench in the prop rotation this season instead of Latimore and Allgood.

I have been one of Latimore's biggest critics going back to his previous stint with the Dragons when his attack and defence wouldn't have dented wet tissue paper. However, towards the end of 2018 he suddenly became a genuine fire breathing Dragon and was making an impact- whether that is a permanent change due to the influence of his close mate, James Graham, or whether it was simply a ploy to get himself another contract, time will tell. In any case, it's good to have genuine competition for engine room places between Vaughn, Sims, Lawrie, Graham and Kerr. Blacker and Timm could be smokies as well.
However, still don't rate either Allgood or Host

hermidale1

Juniors
I have been one of Latimore's biggest critics going back to his previous stint with the Dragons when his attack and defence wouldn't have dented wet tissue paper. However, towards the end of 2018 he suddenly became a genuine fire breathing Dragon and was making an impact- whether that is a permanent change due to the influence of his close mate, James Graham, or whether it was simply a ploy to get himself another contract, time will tell. In any case, it's good to have genuine competition for engine room places between Vaughn, Sims, Lawrie, Graham and Kerr. Blacker and Timm could be smokies as well.
However, still don't rate either Allgood or Host
You rate Kerr, yet don't rate Host?
Funny, all those other players you mentioned are middles and Host is an edge.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

I was simply commenting on a previous poster (Slippery5 ) who said he rated Host and Allgood above Latimore- FYI, Host has played middle in the past although admittedly not frequently.

DragonJ

Juniors
Hope that playing for the indigenous team might light that spark to push for the bench at least.
But he still might be behind Lats. Why are people so unkind about Lats, he does what he has to, can’t ask much more then that
Why have we had such excellent depth in the forwards for so long but barely if at all NRL standard backs?

DragonJ

Juniors
Is there really such a big difference? The best backrowers may be better running on the edges but they are also very good in the middle. Friz being a classic example of this. And such "edge backrowers" hit the opposition edge once a set at most. And spend half the game defending wherever they are needed, mostly in the middle.

kit66

Bench
Before the game I thought Maori would win fairly comfortably given their advantage of both overall experience and a bigger more mobile pack. I thought Kerr's efforts in the face of that were even more impressive. It was also unlimited interchange which meant fresh guys running at him or hitting him all night. Well done and just great to see him get that try, I was grinning from ear to ear for a good ten minutes after that.
I'm not sure how he'd go in firsts week after week but he'll definitely be handy when we need him to cover injury and SOO and maybe rest some of the forwards. One slight criticism, he looks to be carrying a lot weight around the hips which can slow you down a lot, shed that and he's a big tough bopper with hopefully his best yet to come.
Just on the Pong, he had Joey all excited early but soon shut him up, ( never a bad thing ), with a lot of errors and bad decisions - and arguably responsible for 2 Indigenous tries. He needs to stop trying so hard and let his natural ability take over.

Last edited:

rasaint

Juniors
I am hoping that Lawrie and Kerr will be very successful this season.

Latimore is a competent NRL front rower and goes well on low cap $$$. He can bend the line and defends stoutly.

I haven’t seen much of Kerr.

Lawrie is courageous no doubt but frankly yet to see him really bend the line, slip a pass or do anything special. Many on the forum rate him strongly so I may have missed something.

possm

Coach
I am hoping that Lawrie and Kerr will be very successful this season.

Latimore is a competent NRL front rower and goes well on low cap $$$. He can bend the line and defends stoutly.

I haven’t seen much of Kerr.

Lawrie is courageous no doubt but frankly yet to see him really bend the line, slip a pass or do anything special. Many on the forum rate him strongly so I may have missed something.
Last year we had three good props in Vaughan, Graham and Ah Mau. This year Ah Mau has been replaced with K Sims who we will be able to assess over the first few rounds. The problem SGI has is that our young props Lowrie and Kerr have not stepped up as yet; although indications are that they will. If they do not, I imagine it will be necessary to move Frizell to the middle in an effort to fill the gap and play Leilua on the left edge in the 11 jumper with T Sims moving to 12.

However, if De Belin is stood down by the NRL, we will have to be in the market for another middle player.

epDragon62

First Grade
Last year we had three good props in Vaughan, Graham and Ah Mau. This year Ah Mau has been replaced with K Sims who we will be able to assess over the first few rounds. The problem SGI has is that our young props Lowrie and Kerr have not stepped up as yet; although indications are that they will. If they do not, I imagine it will be necessary to move Frizell to the middle in an effort to fill the gap and play Leilua on the left edge in the 11 jumper with T Sims moving to 12.

However, if De Belin is stood down by the NRL, we will have to be in the market for another middle player.
I think we saw evidence today that Kerr and Timm may very well fill the breach. K Simms was a beast and will probably hold the lock position while JDB deals with being a foolish young man...

Overseas dragon

Juniors
I have to say that Jack will not be missed if the early signs are correct. Timm, kerr, and Laurie, not forgetting lulieui all look ready .Host also might have a job interview for first grade soon. .... And even Darren Nicholas had a fair game today.. ...

Frank Facer

First Grade
I have to say that Jack will not be missed if the early signs are correct. Timm, kerr, and Laurie, not forgetting lulieui all look ready .Host also might have a job interview for first grade soon. .... And even Darren Nicholas had a fair game today.. ...
I disagree with your statement that Jack will not be missed. We do look to have adequate cover for him, but his defence is up there with the best in the game and I think he will be missed.

His absence may give others a chance that they wouldn't have got.

getsmarty

Immortal
I disagree with your statement that Jack will not be missed. We do look to have adequate cover for him, but his defence is up there with the best in the game and I think he will be missed.

His absence may give others a chance that they wouldn't have got.

Agree....watch the middle of the ruck...JDB does a lot of cover defense...In the past when he has come off we get sloppy in the middle.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
I agree, we are a different team when DeBelin is there to when he isn't. He also chops runners in half with his excellent defence.
probably could word it better .it seems inevitable that jack will not be there chopping guys in half yes his defence is second to none .we have some promising young forwards who will try to replace him in attack ...........

j0nesy

Bench
Kerr was excellent yesterday, as was Timms, Vaughan, both Simms and Leilua. With Graham, Friz and JDB to return our forward depth looks second to none. Host and Lawrie go alright too. I don’t think it’s a stretch to say we have the best pack in the comp. I hope Mary learns from last season and rotates our forwards throughout the season.

Latest posts