What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JT and GI to lead NRL support for Adam Goodes by performing Aboriginal War Dance

Bulldog Force

Referee
Source: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...iginal-war-dance/story-fnp0lyn3-1227462294806

JOHNATHAN Thurston will perform a traditional Aboriginal war dance this weekend as NRL superstars rally to support embattled Sydney Swan Adam Goodes.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal some of league’s top indigenous athletes, including Thurston and South Sydney skipper Greg Inglis, are planning indigenous dances as the controversy surrounding Goodes splits a nation.

And supporting the move is rugby league’s top Aboriginal official, ARL Indigenous Council chair Linda Burney.

Speaking on Wednesday, Burney labelled the Goodes booing furore “bloody ugly” and urged NRL players of all colours to “shake a leg” in support of the 2014 Australian of the Year.

Thurston, for one, is in.

“It think it’s a great initiative and I am happy to support it,’’ the reigning Dally M medallist told The Daily Telegraph.

“I’ll show my respect for Adam, indigenous athletes and all the indigenous people with a little move on the weekend if I’m lucky enough to score.’’

Burney urged players to take action this weekend.

“I know Adam well and this whole situation, it’s bloody ugly,’’ Ms Burney said.

“I think (the booing) is clearly racist and combines with tall poppy syndrome. You have a proud indigenous man who puts his head up ... and this happens.

“That’s why I hope players will shake a leg to support Goodsey this weekend. And not just indigenous players either.

“I’d like to think a number of NRL players out there will join in. That would be a wonderful show of solidarity. A wonderful tribute to Aboriginality.”

A huge supporter of the Indigenous All Stars concept, Thurston heads a list of several NRL players who could potentially perform a Round 21 dance for Goodes, who has already ruled himself out of Saturday’s SCG match against Adelaide.

Yet while the Swans great will be absent, his importance is sure to be felt throughout the afternoon with indigenous leagues Thurston, Ben Barba, Justin Hodges and Sam Thaiday all involved in Saturday games.

And while the North Queensland skipper, who faces Canberra in Townsville, is the first player to go public with his dance pledge, it’s understood the idea is being widely discussed among other players including Souths megastar Inglis — whose post-try ‘Goanna’ celebration is already something of a trademark.

Ms Burney, who is also NSW Deputy Opposition leader, said the Goodes issue cut deeply with indigenous athletes as the football field had always been the place where the felt equal.

“Have a look at what the Aboriginal community has brought to both league and the AFL,’’ she said. “And not just the players, but the love. The passion.

“Both these football codes, they’ve become part of contemporary Aboriginal culture. Football fields are the one place where indigenous people have always felt they will be treated as equals.

“And that’s exactly why this is so hurtful.

“I’ve given this a lot of thought and can never ever remember it happening in rugby league or anywhere else. Players like Anthony Mundine have copped stick before, but this is something different.

“This booing, it’s become like a chant, like some ugly ritual.

“And you have to wonder what motivates a crowd of people to boo a man who has been the Australian of the Year. Who has spoken for all Australians and represented all Australians.

“How has this become a ritual? What does it say about the psyche of Australia?”

The Goodes issue has divided Australia, with public shows of support by athletes like Thurston countered by critics such as radio king Alan Jones. Speaking on national TV yesterday, Jones accused Goodes of always playing “the victim” and suggested the Swans great change his behaviour if he wanted the booing to cease.

Bulldog Force

Referee
I guarantee you that if/when JT and GI do this dance, the crowds will go crazy and support them, not boo them. This is clearly where our game has a 1-up over the "other" code.

Bronco18

Juniors
Let's not get bogged down in the tribal wankery over which code is better at what, especially on serious social issues like this.

Leave that petty bollocks to people like Rebecca Wilson, the moral high ground is a tenuous position.

nick87

Coach
JT is playing the Raiders, so make sure to tune in to see his dance... merkin will be spinning the ball on his finger whilst our defense just stares at him from metres away in disbelief.

happens every f**king time we play him or any other superstar. We give them as much space as they want

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
JT is playing the Raiders, so make sure to tune in to see his dance... merkin will be spinning the ball on his finger whilst our defense just stares at him from metres away in disbelief.

happens every f**king time we play him or any other superstar. We give them as much space as they want

DCZbH.png

JUST TAKE IT, JUST TAKE THE BALL

Flapper

First Grade
Let's not get bogged down in the tribal wankery over which code is better at what, especially on serious social issues like this.

Leave that petty bollocks to people like Rebecca Wilson, the moral high ground is a tenuous position.

Why should we? Rugby League IS the moral high ground in this issue, we should be trumpeting to all and sundry how much more accepting and diverse we are than them.

nick87

Coach
DCZbH.png

JUST TAKE IT, JUST TAKE THE BALL

:lol: I love how you only have to vague reference something from the Simpsons and every merkin knows EXACTLY what you're talking about.

Krusty is basically me every time the raiders play a genuine superstar

kdalymc

Bench
When do they plan on doing this?
Mid game? Kick off? Score a try?
Rehearsed shit like this is so gay

Canard

Immortal

Haha AFL fan alert

Canard

Immortal
:lol: I love how you only have to vague reference something from the Simpsons and every merkin knows EXACTLY what you're talking about.

Krusty is basically me every time the raiders play a genuine superstar

He was using a Freakin Ladder!!

GI already points to his indigenous heritage by doing the Goanna after he scores.

Not only is it not booed in Rugby League but it is celebrated. I would say that most of the people who see him do it, enjoy watching him do it. Even supporters of other teams seem to enjoy the theatre of it all. It's also mimicked by any number of junior league players at most of the league grounds around the country every weekend, regardless of the kids performing it being indigenous or not.

Contrast this to AFL fans who felt threatened when Goodes performed his war dance and pretended to throw an imaginary spear. I watched the replays of it and thought it was fantastic. It was the indigenous round in the AFL after all and he was celebrating his heritage. My immediate thought was that he should do it every time he kicks a goal. It should become his trademark.

Almost immediately, AFL fans were saying they felt threatened by his actions and that he took things too far. What a bunch of morons! He danced around and threw an imaginary spear ffs. If you feel threatened by that then you really need to lock yourself in the house and hide under your bed.

I can't believe that something that should be so matter of fact has escalated to the point that it has now.

Anyway, it will be good for league. Now all the athletic young indigenous kids who are deciding what sport to play may just be persuaded to play Rugby League over that other abomination of a game. If we get another GI, Preston Campbell, Matt Bowen or any other clone of the fantastic Aboriginal players that play / have played our game as a result then it's a win for Rugby League.

GI already points to his indigenous heritage by doing the Goanna after he scores.

Not only is it not booed in Rugby League but it is celebrated. I would say that most of the people who see him do it, enjoy watching him do it. Even supporters of other teams seem to enjoy the theatre of it all. It's also mimicked by any number of junior league players at most of the league grounds around the country every weekend, regardless of the kids performing it being indigenous or not.

Contrast this to AFL fans who felt threatened when Goodes performed his war dance and pretended to throw an imaginary spear. I watched the replays of it and thought it was fantastic. It was the indigenous round in the AFL after all and he was celebrating his heritage. My immediate thought was that he should do it every time he kicks a goal. It should become his trademark.

Almost immediately, AFL fans were saying they felt threatened by his actions and that he took things too far. What a bunch of morons! He danced around and threw an imaginary spear ffs. If you feel threatened by that then you really need to lock yourself in the house and hide under your bed.

I can't believe that something that should be so matter of fact has escalated to the point that it has now.

Anyway, it will be good for league. Now all the athletic young indigenous kids who are deciding what sport to play may just be persuaded to play Rugby League over that other abomination of a game. If we get another GI, Preston Campbell, Matt Bowen or any other clone of the fantastic Aboriginal players that play / have played our game as a result then it's a win for Rugby League.

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye to an imaginary spear

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
people don't boo goodes because he's aborigine, people boo him cause they think he's a wanker. the same way gallen gets booed in qld, the pm gets booed anywhere. but they're white so there's no chance of invoking a racial inference to cover the fact everyone thinks you're a dickhead.

Loose Cannon

Bench
When do they plan on doing this?
Mid game? Kick off? Score a try?
Rehearsed shit like this is so gay

Agree wholeheartedly.
Be hilarious if their teams copped a drubbing (not likely), and they had to resort to performing it for a try saving tackle at 30-0.

Canard

Immortal
people don't boo goodes because he's aborigine, people boo him cause they think he's a wanker. the same way gallen gets booed in qld, the pm gets booed anywhere. but they're white so there's no chance of invoking a racial inference to cover the fact everyone thinks you're a dickhead.

Thanks Darcy

That may be true for some but there's a massive racist element there who now feel they can legitimately give it to a black fella under the cover that he's a wanker. From what I've read, he plays a bit like Mick Ennis who doesn't cop the same hate. His treatment of a 13 year old girl in the crowd is another lame excuse they trot out in which I believe he was totally justified.

DiegoNT

First Grade

People have booed paul gallen his whole career because his a wanker, they've booed Justin Hodges for the same reason.
Adam Goodes went from one of the most respected people in the afl to once of the most hated almost overnight and it all came from his stand against racism.
If you could compare him to any league player it would be DCE. DCE went from fairly well liked to booed by everyone due to one incident - his back flip. You May Say You Hate DCE as a Person But all the the DCE hate stems from his back flip.
Goodes is similar to to DCE, you may say his hated as a person, for his diving, for being a 'flog' (whatever that is) but why didn't he receive this amount of booing from afl fans before 2013? The fact that he was cheered so hard and respected so much pre 2013 shows that the booing of Goodes is a racial issue even if people have convinced themselves they aren't booing him because his black. Unlike DCE were we can say we hate him for back flipping we can't say we hate Goodes for making a stand against racism. The afl fans and media are trying to come up with every excuse as to why goodes is being booed but the fact that he wasn't booed pre 2013 for these things says a lot

Thank god we don't have this issue in the nrl were everyone is accepted for who they are.

Last edited:

Latest posts