What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JT and GI to lead NRL support for Adam Goodes by performing Aboriginal War Dance

Sleep

Juniors
people don't boo goodes because he's aborigine, people boo him cause they think he's a wanker. the same way gallen gets booed in qld, the pm gets booed anywhere. but they're white so there's no chance of invoking a racial inference to cover the fact everyone thinks you're a dickhead.

Exactly! This has nothing to do with his heritage. To say people booing are all racists is ridiculous.

Where are they going to draw the line? Ban booing outright? "They might be the opposition and our most hated rivals, but they've got feelings guys. If you could just politely clap them, maybe shake your head that might be acceptable. Not too violently though, can't have that at our game".

What a joke.

Canard

Immortal
NRL fans accept people's heritage and are happy to celebrate it.

We don't feel uncomfortable about someone being proud of their background and pointing out racism

NRL fans accept people's heritage and are happy to celebrate it.

We don't feel uncomfortable about someone being proud of their background and pointing out racism

Yep.

Want to do the Goanna? Sure, go for it.

Want to do the Haka? No worries.

Just don't do the shipoopi as that would take up far too much time.

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
Adam Goodes went from one of the most respected people in the afl to once of the most hated almost overnight and it all came from his stand against racism.
If you could compare him to any league player it would be DCE. DCE went from fairly well liked to booed by everyone due to one incident - his back flip. You May Say You Hate DCE as a Person But all the the DCE hate stems from his back flip.
Goodes is similar to to DCE, you may say his hated as a person, for his diving, for being a 'flog' (whatever that is) but why didn't he receive this amount of booing from afl fans before 2013? The fact that he was cheered so hard and respected so much pre 2013 shows that the booing of Goodes is a racial issue even if people have convinced themselves they aren't booing him because his black. Unlike DCE were we can say we hate him for back flipping we can't say we hate Goodes for making a stand against racism. The afl fans and media are trying to come up with every excuse as to why goodes is being booed but the fact that he wasn't booed pre 2013 for these things says a lot

I get what you're saying and putting on my serious pc hat here (this isn't done often), there is a large degree of validity in what he's saying re: racism and so on.

The problem is unfortunately, if you soapbox every minor issue that in his opinion relates to covert or overt racism, the message becomes oversaturated and the backlash begins. So the entire point of the message is lost in a swirl of personal dislike.

That's not to say, he should shutup and take it - it's more of a case of having to pick the battles he publicly fights. Otherwise the position of "power" he currently holds in society as an influential voice begins to be diluted in the face of people dismissing whatever message he has as just another whinge.

The fact that people are booing him I don't think is because he is an aboriginal, i think that's a ridiculous assumption - if the crowd was indeed truly racist, they would boo every aboriginal or non-caucasian player. They don't though, do they? But they do boo a guy who seems to be almost constantly in the spotlight, because of the way he goes about things, regardless of the message. That goes for anything - it's not necessarily about what you say, but how you say it.

If you want to napalm any scenario, it's totally your right to do so, but you can't then complain about the public and their reaction if it's what you do every single time. people get tired of it and bite back. And they've bitten back in the form of booing the guy. When you think about it, that's probably the most diplomatic way of showing your dislike for someone, apart from making a mean face at him.

Canard

Immortal
Yep being a proud indigenous Australian is frowned upon in the AFL.

They should just keep quiet and cop it sweet

Shorty

Staff member
JT & Inglis etc should stay out of it....it will only make things worse.
For who? The Aussies that don't like their passive racism being called out?

The NRL is full of proud indigenous players it's only natural they would support Adam.

lockyno1

Post Whore
It is an ugly thing but let's not pretend Goodes has been a saint. Many AFL supporters can't stand him for in field antics and that has nothing to do with his background. The fact that he gets away with a lot with the tribunal/MRP is what people hate the most.

no name

Coach
But was he continually booed from first touch to last before the girl called him an ape?
If the answer is no, then the booing is obviously race based.

lockyno1

Post Whore
But was he continually booed from first touch to last before the girl called him an ape?
If the answer is no, then the booing is obviously race based.

It wasn't as bad but he was booed a bit before that. Especially after his MRP escapes. He has got away with a lot of the ball incidents.

The fact that he gets away with a lot with the tribunal/MRP is what people hate the most.

If that is the problem then they should take it out on the AFL Match Review Tribunal. Last time I looked I'm pretty sure Adam Goodes is not a member of it. He does not control what they do.

DiegoNT

First Grade
The weird thing is this whole issue come out of an interaction with the crowd, which is what he was widely criticized for and is apparently one of the reasons his hated. People in the afl forget about the last time a player interacted with a crowd. In that occasion there wasn't any racial undertones and on that occasion the player was supported afl wide for is stance against the crowd. It was celebrated as great theatre and I'm pretty sure afl used it in promos. That player enjoyed many years of respect as he won a brownlow and premiership s and was cheered by many afl fans and was praised as a champion of the game.
The player in question? ADAM GOODES in the 2006 finals against the west coast eagles
What has changed in that time for goodes to go from respected for standing up to the crowd to hated for standing up to the crowd?
Oh yeah it's because he dives for penalties

morley101

Juniors
I think the AFL supporters who actually who are doing the booing are asked what is their motivation to do so.

Oh yeah it's because he dives for penalties

Which, as a few media columnists have pointed out, is quite funny/spurious a reason considering he has received 11 free kicks this season ranking him at 168th in receiving free kicks in the AFL this season.

Shorty

Staff member
I think the AFL supporters who actually who are doing the booing are asked what is their motivation to do so.
It isn't necessary the deflection of the media and the reaction tells you all you need to know.

I don't watch too much of Aussie Rules but I know the AFL has a Taylor Swift level of squeaky clean media savy, for this to come out means it must be pretty bad.