What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Judiciary Charges: Johns facing four weeks

salivor

First Grade
Razor said:
Yes Tallis was playing at a club that the NRL part-owners own. Johns doesn't play at a club owned by the part-owners of the NRL.

Couldn't help yourself could you. Nothing but gutter material, and you wonder why your not taken seriously.

mickdo

Coach
Razor said:
Yes Tallis was playing at a club that the NRL part-owners own. Johns doesn't play at a club owned by the part-owners of the NRL.
Players can take peoples heads off in Origin and avaoid suspension half the time. It is a completely different ballgame...

Alex28

Coach
The Tallis incident is probably the closest precedent that we have to the Johns matter - and Tallis got off for what is probably a worse offence in all honesty (taking away the swearing - clearly thats not what we was charged for).

What is worse - calling someone a name, or questioning someone's objectivity on the game? I think I could handle being called a c***, but to be called a cheat is far worse in my eyes.

I certainly think he deserves some sort of penalty - it's hard to cop him saying "I didn't say it at him" when he purposely turns to the guy and says it. However I think ruining a teams chances of winning the competition - particularly when the NRL have come out and said the official in question got the decision wrong that triggered the incident - is a pretty harsh penalty for name calling...

Sugar

Bench
Alex28 said:
The Tallis incident is probably the closest precedent that we have to the Johns matter - and Tallis got off for what is probably a worse offence in all honesty (taking away the swearing - clearly thats not what we was charged for).

What is worse - calling someone a name, or questioning someone's objectivity on the game? I think I could handle being called a c***, but to be called a cheat is far worse in my eyes.

I certainly think he deserves some sort of penalty - it's hard to cop him saying "I didn't say it at him" when he purposely turns to the guy and says it. However I think ruining a teams chances of winning the competition - particularly when the NRL have come out and said the official in question got the decision wrong that triggered the incident - is a pretty harsh penalty for name calling...
who is ruining there chances the nrl for punishing him or johns for opening his mouth in the first place?

Alex28

Coach
The NRL is perhaps not comparing apples with apples is all I am saying.

Calling a referee a cheat? No suspension.

Calling a referee a name? 3 weeks suspension.

What is the worse offence here? Just remember - he hasn't been charged with swearing, so anything about setting a bad example for the kiddies with his potty mouth wash in this case...

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Andrew Johns should have been sin binned, no matter how much time was left in the game. Then the NRL should have sent him a warning letter concerning his language and attitude towards the officials. This media circus is pathetic. How precious have they become???

And that is all that should have happened. I remember when Jason Taylor gave a spray to the ref, he was binned and I think that is all that happened.

Sugar

Bench
imo if johns had shut his mouth >newcastle lose one game checcin gets reprimanded for a incorrect call.
johns lets a flurry of abuse rip>johns suspension newcastle possibly lose more than one game maybe costing them a shot at the title.

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
NZ Warrior said:
Andrew Johns should have been sin binned, no matter how much time was left in the game. Then the NRL should have sent him a warning letter concerning his language and attitude towards the officials. This media circus is pathetic. How precious have they become???

And that is all that should have happened. I remember when Jason Taylor gave a spray to the ref, he was binned and I think that is all that happened.

He already had warnings.

Godz Illa

Coach
The fkn Newcastle merkins still aren't sure if they're contesting the fkn charge and might ask the NRL for more fkn time.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Knights-seek-more-time-for-Johns-verdict/2006/08/15/1155407782683.html

Knights seek more time for Johns verdict

August 15, 2006 - 11:10AM

The Newcastle Knights are seeking more time to consider their options before deciding whether to take captain Andrew Johns' grade three contrary conduct charge before the NRL judiciary.
The Knights had until midday to decide whether to lodge an early guilty plea or opt for a hearing Wednesday night but a club spokesman said they were seeking an extension.
An early guilty plea to the charge for allegedly abusing a touch judge in Friday night's loss to Manly would see Johns suspended for three games, including the first week of the NRL finals.
If he unsuccessfully contested the charge he would be banned for four matches.

© 2006 AAP

Azkatro

First Grade
I think the Tallis sendoff is a good comparison. Let's not forget though that he was sent off in an Origin game - that's taken into consideration is it not? Plus the NRL had warned Newcastle about this type of indiscretion already this year, so there are certainly differences in the two incidents in that sense. If I remember correctly Tallis also apologised for what he said afterwards, whereas Johns did the exact opposite.

Bernster

Juniors
Godz Illa said:
The fkn Newcastle merkins still aren't sure if they're contesting the fkn charge and might ask the NRL for more fkn time.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Knights-seek-more-time-for-Johns-verdict/2006/08/15/1155407782683.html

Knights seek more time for Johns verdict

August 15, 2006 - 11:10AM

The Newcastle Knights are seeking more time to consider their options before deciding whether to take captain Andrew Johns' grade three contrary conduct charge before the NRL judiciary.
The Knights had until midday to decide whether to lodge an early guilty plea or opt for a hearing Wednesday night but a club spokesman said they were seeking an extension.
An early guilty plea to the charge for allegedly abusing a touch judge in Friday night's loss to Manly would see Johns suspended for three games, including the first week of the NRL finals.
If he unsuccessfully contested the charge he would be banned for four matches.

© 2006 AAP

The Knights and Shane Warne II have till 3pm to contest the charge...I just heard it on the radio...

Steelers4eva

Juniors
Bernster said:
The Knights and Shane Warne II have till 3pm to contest the charge...I just heard it on the radio...

His mother made hime do it hey Bernster :lol:

In all seriousness though I personally regard him as one of the best players I have seen, but he certainly could use some lessons in humility. I noticed on Sunday a couple of calls went very badly against Willie Mason (both in the play the ball and stripping) and I was really surprised to see the big fella suck it in and get on with the game. I realise the situations were very different and Willie's mob were cruising, but at the end of the day Joeys actions in trying to gain 20 seconds of play against Manly to try and steal a win they didn't really deserve might end up costing the Knights a reallistic shot at the title.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I don't know how many times I can say this but he would have got 2 WEEKS if he had a clean record! But Joey decided to elbow josh lewis' head the week before. That is his fault. The NRL got the charge spot on. 2 weeks acts as a deterant and it is enough for the actual offence. It only goes up to 3 weeks with a poor record. That is Joey's fault!

Mr Saab

Referee
People comparing Tallis' incident with Johns have NFI.
The game has C H A N G E D.
If Tallis today called a ref a @#$%@! cheat he too would cop a contrary conduct charge.
The tackle Crocker performed on Sam Thaiday would have resulted in zero suspension 6-7-8 yrs ago...today it is a suspension.

@#$%!$% deal with it!!!!!!!!!

BWNB

First Grade
lockyno1 said:
I don't know how many times I can say this but he would have got 2 WEEKS if he had a clean record! But Joey decided to elbow josh lewis' head the week before. That is his fault. The NRL got the charge spot on. 2 weeks acts as a deterant and it is enough for the actual offence. It only goes up to 3 weeks with a poor record. That is Joey's fault!

Agreed they need to open their eyes. He was lucky not to be charged the week before

philthy6144

Juniors
So he bloody well should get suspended. Whether the touchy or ref stuffed up, we are all taught from a very young age that you have to accept the refs decision. The sooky players are first to whine if the ref does not talk to them "with respect" yet players such as JOHNS think they can say and talk how they like. Does not set a great example for the kids watching either. Kepp your big trap shut Joey, you don't run the game and neither do your stupid mates from the Footy show...pjn

Knightmare

Coach
Mr Saab said:
People comparing Tallis' incident with Johns have NFI.
The game has C H A N G E D.
If Tallis today called a ref a @#$%@! cheat he too would cop a contrary conduct charge.
The tackle Crocker performed on Sam Thaiday would have resulted in zero suspension 6-7-8 yrs ago...today it is a suspension.

@#$%!$% deal with it!!!!!!!!!

No, it would still have been a suspension because the tackled player landed on his head. Anything resembling a spear tackle has never been allowed.

mickdo

Coach
Knightmare said:
No, it would still have been a suspension because the tackled player landed on his head. Anything resembling a spear tackle has never been allowed.
He landed on his back not his head ffs