What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Judiciary Joke

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I know it was 8 years ago, but i remember it like it was yesterday.

Must have watched that clip 100 times. Till this day, i say there was ill intent, and a send off offence. How Deano did not succumb to serious injury is beyond me.
It shortened his career.

It was actually a pivotal moment in Rugby League rulings on what is acceptable. The video was repeated over-and-over to a hungry audience ready to lay the boot into RL.

The intent from Inglis was indeed over the top, but still leaves the question why unanswered.

I know Dean Young publicly said he didn't want that incident to be the catalyst for banning the shoulder charge, but fact is the banning was already in the pipeline well beforehand.

That said, I have yet to read comments from Greg Inglis as to why he went in so hard. Same goes for Dean Young.

I'm assuming it's a case of what happens on the field, stays on the field.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
The intent from Inglis was indeed over the top, but still leaves the question why unanswered.
The why is because he’s a bully.

Young telegraphed early in that play that he was looking for support & wasn’t wiling to take on ingli$..

Reckon it was a completely different outcome if young was looking to try and do an Aiken on Inglis

SGMax

Juniors
Not sure how to check on the Young / Inglis incident ruling?
I have a vague recollection that Inglis didn't miss a game.
I could be wrong, but I have always been bitter about it thinking Inglis got off scott free.

I also remember Creagh getting smashed without the ball (on suspicion) and no penalty and not cited.
Creagh left the field and didn't return....not sure who the opposition were.

Then there was the game at Canberra where a tackler went head first at Weyman and the headclash had him gone for the match. It looked intentional to me and the Canberra team and the commentators were talking up the tackle cos it was a lost ball....celebrating while Weyman lay there barely consious. Again, no consequenses at all.

blacksafake

First Grade
I know it was 8 years ago, but i remember it like it was yesterday.

Must have watched that clip 100 times. Till this day, i say there was ill intent, and a send off offence. How Deano did not succumb to serious injury is beyond me.
I remember being there & some souffs supporters were calling Dean a cat for lying down plus the smirk on Inglis’ face when watching the big screen.

Dragon David

First Grade
What about when Channel 9 dobbed Trent Barrett in for a late hit on someone that was missed by the refs and matech review?...sending footage to the powers that be.
Trent got a 4? week suspension for it..LOL
Well there you go. Everybody is against us! Haha!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I have a vague recollection that Inglis didn't miss a game.
I could be wrong, but I have always been bitter about it thinking Inglis got off scott free.
3 match suspension.

A disappointed South Sydney contingent stormed out of Rugby League Central without making comment after Greg Inglis was banned for three matches by the NRL judiciary on Wednesday evening.

Inglis was attempting to have his grade four dangerous contact charge reduced to a grade two offence following his shoulder charge on St George Illawarra lock Dean Young on Saturday night.

But the three-man panel of Michael Buettner, Chris McKenna and Mal Cochrane took just over 10 minutes to rule that the incident deserved a grade three punishment, ruling Inglis out until round 24 when the Rabbitohs take on Cronulla.

More: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-07-25/inglis-to-miss-only-three-weeks/4154962

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I remember being there & some souffs supporters were calling Dean a cat for lying down plus the smirk on Inglis’ face when watching the big screen.
After the high shot, Inglis went after the loose ball, it was picked up by our hooker, Mitch Rein. Inglis then chased Rein to help make the tackle. Inglis didn't look at Young at all. He was on the ground, out cold, being looked at by trainers, and well behind Inglis.

Then there was dust up with Merrin taking exception to Souths players (mainly Dylan Farrell) potentially getting in the way of the trainers

What followed was pretty disgraceful with players from both sides rushing in and falling over, Inglis included. A trainer was trying to shield Young. Cooper, Nightingale and Hornby were also trying to shield Young while Jamie Soward tried to alert players that Young was still on the ground. Soward got the attention of Inglis who then looked at Young and both he and Soward had concerned looks on their faces, as did other players.

Now what Inglis did afterwards watching the big screen I don't know. Might have been a nervous reaction. But just saying that once he knew Young was out, his first reaction was that of concern.

Doesn't surprise me at all that Souths supporters were calling Dean a cat etc. Afterwards, some opposition supporters were even trying to blame him and Saints for the change to the shoulder charge rule.

TruSaint

Referee
After the high shot, Inglis went after the loose ball, it was picked up by our hooker, Mitch Rein. Inglis then chased Rein to help make the tackle. Inglis didn't look at Young at all. He was on the ground, out cold, being looked at by trainers, and well behind Inglis.

Then there was dust up with Merrin taking exception to Souths players (mainly Dylan Farrell) potentially getting in the way of the trainers

What followed was pretty disgraceful with players from both sides rushing in and falling over, Inglis included. A trainer was trying to shield Young. Cooper, Nightingale and Hornby were also trying to shield Young while Jamie Soward tried to alert players that Young was still on the ground. Soward got the attention of Inglis who then looked at Young and both he and Soward had concerned looks on their faces, as did other players.

Now what Inglis did afterwards watching the big screen I don't know. Might have been a nervous reaction. But just saying that once he knew Young was out, his first reaction was that of concern.

Doesn't surprise me at all that Souths supporters were calling Dean a cat etc. Afterwards, some opposition supporters were even trying to blame him and Saints for the change to the shoulder charge rule.

This is where I disagree mate.
I watched the clip above.

Inglis only had eyes for a high shot IMHO. The extension of the elbow at point of contact makes it more than just a shoulder charge. He "followed through " with it.

Once he knows he has screwed Deano, he then rushes to the ball and even then the video shows he "plonks" himself on our player.

There is no way he didn't know Young was hurt.

I know its subjective and I can't get into his mind, but I will argue there was intent, and very little if any concern.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
This is where I disagree mate.
I watched the clip above.

Inglis only had eyes for a high shot IMHO. The extension of the elbow at point of contact makes it more than just a shoulder charge. He "followed through " with it.

Once he knows he has screwed Deano, he then rushes to the ball and even then the video shows he "plonks" himself on our player.

There is no way he didn't know Young was hurt.

I know its subjective and I can't get into his mind, but I will argue there was intent, and very little if any concern.
I'm not arguing against the initial intent, just that immediately afterwards Young's condition became secondary to where the ball was.

blacksafake

First Grade

Fair enough but I’ll forever remain convinced that he had no problem with the tackle with little concern for young.
Anyway why he wasn’t sent off is probably the most alarming thing.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Fair enough but I’ll forever remain convinced that he had no problem with the tackle with little concern for young.
Anyway why he wasn’t sent off is probably the most alarming thing.
It was high and warranted an immediate send off. So no argument there.

Young looked to his right for support and then to his left, he knew Inglis was approaching but he was also getting tackled from behind before Inglis made contact. He basically didn't know what hit him.

Years earlier, a young Andrew Walker was on debut for us and was sent off for a much softer head high, and he got 4 weeks. The problem always has been one of inconsistency.

blacksafake

First Grade
It was high and warranted an immediate send off. So no argument there.

Young looked to his right for support and then to his left, he knew Inglis was approaching but he was also getting tackled from behind before Inglis made contact. He basically didn't know what hit him.

Years earlier, a young Andrew Walker was on debut for us and was sent off for a much softer head high, and he got 4 weeks. The problem always has been one of inconsistency.
Who the player is as well seems to have a bearing on the judiciary.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Who the player is as well seems to have a bearing on the judiciary.
Sure, we've seen that before.

The question is, however, who really thinks that Inglis goes out onto the field to intentionally maim players, and more than that, he actially gets off on it?

blacksafake

First Grade
Sure, we've seen that before.

The question is, however, who really thinks that Inglis goes out onto the field to intentionally maim players, and more than that, he actially gets off on it?
I never said that Inglis or anyone for that matter goes onto the field with intent to hurt anyone.
I’ve no doubt some players when out there let their emotions get the better of them at times which can lead to nasty/silly incidents. Mitchell,Walker,JWH,Fifita,TPJ & even “our own” McGuire can at times be guilty of this.

TruSaint

Referee
I never said that Inglis or anyone for that matter goes onto the field with intent to hurt anyone.
I’ve no doubt some players when out there let their emotions get the better of them at times which can lead to nasty/silly incidents. Mitchell,Walker,JWH,Fifita,TPJ & even “our own” McGuire can at times be guilty of this.

I think you are correct.
It's impossible to know what "intent" there is, but players have had brain snaps on the field since the game was born.
One of my fav players is James Graham. Some of his actions on the field were atrocious.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Well I never said you said that. It was a question. My first post on this topic said that Inglis had intent that was over the top, but the question as to why he went high remains unanswered. Afterwards neither player talked about the tackle itself, it has essentially been left on the field.

I think you're right about the emotion, or more to the point, aggression. It does get the better of players sometimes. Inglis clearly wanted to a bring an end to Young's break and stop the momentum that a quick play-the-ball would produce, so he wanted to hit him hard.. But the interpretation of a high tackle was pretty clear and being careless was no excuse. He should have been given an early shower and sidelined for at least 4 weeks.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The ball was on the field whilst Young was in Disneyland
Yeah, the ball was rolling towards our goal line after being dislodged, such was the impact. At that point it was still play on. We're talking about 1 or 2 seconds after the hit.

Latest posts