What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

*****July 1st NEWS*****

edabomb

First Grade
Maybe we give him a contract with re-sign spelt as resign. Its all I can think of....

SOULS 04

Juniors
hahaha genius... thats sure to trick him

he signs thinking its a new contract.

ok boogs have a nice life mate.... Your FREEEEEE!!!!!!

mike83au

Juniors
From the SMH this morning:

Wiki all but told the Raiders yesterday that he would not be at the club next season after receiving "mind-blowing" offers from three British clubs as well as the Warriors and Wests Tigers.

Canberra centre Joel Monaghan also plans to wait until next week to settle his future after fielding approaches from Sydney Roosters, Manly, Parramatta and the Tigers.

The Raiders will learn after tonight's Melbourne-Penrith match whether they have secured the services of Storm back-rower David Kidwell.

Raider Azz

Bench
He probably wont, but those are the offers being handed to him. No way they could compete with the ridiculous ammounts being thrown at him in England though.

mike83au

Juniors
From the Canberra Times this morning

Raiders race for Roberts
By Bevan Hannan
Friday, 2 July 2004

The National Rugby League's leading tryscorer, Amos Roberts, has been approached by the Canberra Raiders as insurance for the possible departure of centre Joel Monaghan after the start of the player trading period yesterday.

Monaghan will meet with the Sydney Roosters and Manly in Sydney next week before making a decision on a $250,000-a-season deal over three years from the Raiders.

Canberra CEO Simon Hawkins and general manager Don Furner met with Monaghan and hismanager Jim Banaghan for more than an hour at the Queanbeyan Leagues Club yesterday.

When Monaghan indicated he wanted to reserve his decision until speaking further with rival clubs, the Raiders prepared a three-year offer for Roberts, who has proved the bargain-buy of the season for Penrith with 16 tries after as many rounds.

In other developments on day one of the open market:

Canberra's Ruben Wiki received eight offers, five from the English Super League plus New Zealand and Manly are believed to be among three from the NRL.

Kiwi international David Kidwell expects to decide on three offers, including Canberra, over the weekend.

Local junior Michael Robertson agreed to terms with the Raiders for another two years.

The Raiders proceeded with an offer for Panther Paul Whatuira.

Canberra edged closer to signing promising forwards Alan Rothery and Kris Kahler for two years.

Parramatta and Wests Tigers were the other two clubs chasing Monaghan. However, the real race is between Canberra, the Roosters and Manly.

Monaghan described the Raiders' offer as "very good" and said he was aiming to make up his mind early next week. When asked if it was good enough to keep him in Canberra, Monaghan replied, "I think it is".

Monaghan, who is aiming to make a comeback from a knee injury against the Tigers tomorrow, also revealed the outstanding win against Brisbane last weekend had been a positive factor for the Green Machine.

"It is probably the most excited I've been in a long time," Monaghan said. "We weren't travelling too well before I got injured. It was good to see them win and it was a style of football that looked good and would be good to keep playing."

Roberts, 23, has performed exceptionally in almost every position in the backline for Penrith this year but the Raiders view him as a top outside back.

Banaghan said he understood Canberra would withdraw their deal if other offers were accepted first.

"That's the risk we run by looking around," Banaghan said. "We fully accept that. In order to collate all the information that Joel needs to make a good decision, I have encouraged him to at least give the other clubs the courtesy of hearing what they have to say."

While Monaghan is expected to have his future settled next week, Banaghan said Wiki is at least a fortnight away.

greeneyed

First Grade
This Banaghan is the instrument of the devil!!! It seems pretty clear Joel wants to stay, but this guy seems to be in his ear encouraging him to go to Manly... or more likely the Roosters......

thickos

First Grade
Monaghan described the Raiders' offer as "very good" and said he was aiming to make up his mind early next week. When asked if it was good enough to keep him in Canberra, Monaghan replied, "I think it is".

Bloody oath Joel. $750k is an absolute shit-load of money. More than I will make in 15 years. You have got a stack of potential but at the moment you are a club player. No rep jerseys in the closet.

Now the club you grew up supporting offers you financial security for 3 years and probably beyond.

Is it just me or does this scenario have only one outcome - to resign with Canberra?

come on Joel, do the right thing.

greeneyed

First Grade
But he has this manager in his ear... imagine what will happen once Gould gets in his ear....

jed

First Grade
Disappointed that the Raiders site still hasn't mentioned that Robbo's re-signed - surely with the potential for both Joel & Ruben to leave they'd be trying to get the good news to us ASAP.

Um Jammer Lammy

Juniors
I'm, gonna take a punt and say Monoghan will stay, but Wiki will go to England, weight of numbers from over there seem to irristable for me if i was getting a little long in the tooth although he might aswell be 25 the way he plays. I want both.

The Roosters have officially released Hegarty, and he's officially signed with Souths.

The Roosters now have no centre with Hodges and Hegarty leaving. Even if they got Roberts they still need a centre.

Monaghan is deadset gone, I can feel it. :( :cry:

hrundi99

First Grade
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

azza

Juniors
I Bleed Green said:
The Roosters have officially released Hegarty, and he's officially signed with Souths.

The Roosters now have no centre with Hodges and Hegarty leaving. Even if they got Roberts they still need a centre.

Monaghan is deadset gone, I can feel it. :( :cry:

Stop being so negative :lol: I reckon he will stay.

Latest posts