What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

June 2018: Aust v Eng in England - 5 ODI/+T20

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Never said Hales. Roy looks solidish. Point is you need some solidity in a one day side.. not just hitters. Australia has none other than Shaun Marsh that I would call technically correct.

England only has Root. So you don't need more than 1 to be number 1.

Even then - what is techniqiue - ABdV thinks it is overrated and Steve Smith (and Chanderpaul before him) in tests has made a total and utter mockery of it. Viv used to be the best batsman in the world - constantly swinging accross the line to the leg side in both tests and limited overs.

Shaun Marsh seems to be a cricketer who just has not ever realised his obvious talent and potential. Some people, Brad Hodge for one, realise too late for their international careers just how good they can be when they play with more freedom. I don't even think Ross Taylor would ever have scored his 181* off 147 vs England if NZ had batted first.

Last edited:
Even then - what is techniqiue - ABdV thinks it is overrated and Steve Smith (and Chanderpaul before him) in tests has made a total and utter mockery of it. Viv used to be the best batsman in the world - constantly swinging accross the line to the leg side in both tests and limited overs.

Must be a gremlin in this thread. Some lines came up and deleted all my post?
I wrote that Smith and Chanders may have ungainly unorthodox techniques but both are as solid as a bank when hitting the ball. Take the Smith trigger movement. Note how after it how still and poised he is when he addresses the ball. That shows solid technical training. ABdV has a good technique for red ball cricket. Catch some footage of his in recent Sth Africa series. Richards had an eye like a dead fish.

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Prior is a joke selection for mine. What about that big bopper Shannon Boyd. Prior is a liteweight.
Boyd is a slug in defence and would get destroyed in Origin. I would of went for James myself but at least Prior is an excellent defensive prop.

ANTiLAG

First Grade

Must be a gremlin in this thread. Some lines came up and deleted all my post?
I wrote that Smith and Chanders may have ungainly unorthodox techniques but both are as solid as a bank when hitting the ball. Take the Smith trigger movement. Note how after it how still and poised he is when he addresses the ball. That shows solid technical training. ABdV has a good technique for red ball cricket. Catch some footage of his in recent Sth Africa series. Richards had an eye like a dead fish.
Oh I don't doubt that all these batsmen are head's still and set in the crease, for ABdV I am referring to his comments on footwork and foot movement to get to the pitch of the ball as being overrated, and as such his use of hand eye to hit the ball wide of him.

Smith is a master tactician who will continually move further to the off to clip to the leg side (balls sometimes wider than off stump - in test cricket, repeatedly). It is a genius move by him that has yielded tonnes of big scores, but that is not orthodox in the least. And he still hasn't been troubled by left armers "playing all round it" despite this technique of his according to the classical technique theory being described as a weakness across the line of the ball. He just keeps getting bat on ball and not getting out when doing this.

I have seen Steve Smith literally make the bowlers start bowling to about 4th off stump. He is taking his stumps and lbw dismassals out of the equation when the bowlers do this because they don't want to be clipped to leg again or they are searching for an edge. Even then I bet at least one of them was clipped to leg again.

Last edited:
Smith is a genius. By getting the bowler to bowl to where he wants them to.. outside off for instance.. he then craftily back cuts or glides the ball to third man or backward point with the skill of a surgeon.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Sam Curran was a bowling failure for Auckland. He should not be bowling or even playing here (useful bat though).

Eng clearly have depth problems with all their injuries.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Aus have hit Curran and Root out of the attack with a combined 3 overs only.

This game could get interesting if Head bats long.

Timbo

Staff member
Flicked over at halftime to see Head play that absolute dog of a shot to get out.

We’ve also apparently picked only four bowlers, one of whom is Ashton the Undroppable.

Eelectrica

Referee
Switched over during the HT break, just in time to see Head chip one.
Still looks like he was having a good game.
Stoinis at 3? Chappeli would be rolling in his grave.

Timbo

Staff member
Switched over during the HT break, just in time to see Head chip one.
Still looks like he was having a good game.
Stoinis at 3? Chappeli would be rolling in his grave.

I’ll tell you who was a helluva good 3, Viv Richards. I remember, uh, a great old saying by my old captain Les Favell about number 3s...

Bazal

Post Whore
Run rate is better. 3 wickets is not.

Need a solid stand for ten overs or so just to make sure there's a good platform for the final 15-20, and still some batting to watch at full time in the Origin match

Bazal

Post Whore
WTF that is awful awareness from Marsh, his foot never left the crease. He could have stood there and not had a single problem.