What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

June 30 2007 - signings and departures

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
The Real Insurance Rabbitohs have announced the signing of Dean Widders today, agreeing to a three-year
contract with the Club.
Widders, 26, has played 114 first grade games and represented Country Origin in this year’s City vs Country
match in Dubbo. Widders is widely regarded in Rugby League as a damaging ball runner and as an impact
player, however Widders’ off-field activities have also been a focus of his career, with Dean being appointed to
the National Indigenous Council at a ceremony in Canberra on Monday night. Widders has also been the recipient
of the 2004 Ken Stephen Medal for his contributions to the Aboriginal community, Father Chris Riley’s Shine Day
Award and the Bounce Back Foundation’s Community Ambassador of the Year award.
Rabbitohs CEO Shane Richardson says the signing of Widders is great for the Club both on and off the field.
“Dean has the attacking potency in the forwards that we haven’t had in the past,” Mr Richardson said. “Dean is
also highly regarded off the field with the work he does in the Aboriginal community. Dean is a role model for
indigenous people in this country and we look forward to having him on board in 2007.”
Rabbitohs Executive Chairman Peter Holmes à Court says: "Dean is another example of our desire to bring
strong, exciting players to the Club who share our passion for rebuilding Souths and who have shown themselves
to be leaders both on and off the field. Russell and I called Dean yesterday, and the enthusiasm with which he
speaks about community issues is inspiring. I wish him the best of luck for the rest of the season with the Eels,
and we look forward to making him welcome in South Sydney next year."
Widders is pleased to be joining the famous South Sydney Rabbitohs. “I’m really impressed with the direction the
Club is heading and I’m looking forward to playing with them next season,” Widders said. “The Club has shown
me their plans for their on-field and off-field activities, especially the work they want to do with Aboriginal
communities, and I’m looking forward to working with Anthony Mundine and the Club on these projects.”

Choppy71

Burt signs on again
BRAD EARL
21jun06

LUKE Burt, a forgotten man at the Parramatta Eels this year, has sprung up in 2007 coach Michael Hagan's plans after the club re-signed the outside back this week.

Burt, who has played all his career with Parramatta, has been retained for a further two years.

slippery nipeel

Juniors
It would be great if a few of these young forwards that have had wraps on them for the last year or so came through as genuine first graders. Plenty of promise with the likes of oake, mateo, cordoba, tsoulos, taia & weller hauraki need more exposure to first grade and some luck with injuries!!

How many more years left on sparky's contract?

Noticed on tele the other day, he has taken to attacking ballboys - maybe its time to look for a better role model?
:alcho:

Hurriflatch

Referee
TBH, a broom needs to go through the place

unfourtunatly, it's been only 2 years since the last time it happened.

Utey

Coach
Hurriflatch said:
TBH, a broom needs to go through the place

unfourtunatly, it's been only 2 years since the last time it happened.

bullsh*t. Been a long long time since we had a player cleanout.

Hurriflatch

Referee

Stapleton, Pearson, Kativerta, Lyon, Vaealiki and a lot of others that I can't think of right now

while Morrison, Marsh, Tahu, Riddell, The Perenara's etc all came

Utey

Coach
lol that was BS being a bit desperate and not having too much money to spend me thinks.

Utey

Coach
I meant in the terms of the off contract/contracted players visually. It was all muddle and not organised elsewhere.

Gronk

Staff member
Souths NRL recruitment 'almost done'

June 22, 2006 - 2:44PM

South Sydney executive director Peter Holmes a Court says the bulk of the NRL club's recruitment for next season is complete.

The Rabbitohs have signed New Zealand internationals Nigel Vagana and David Kidwell, as well as Parramatta's Dean Widders in recent weeks, and have been linked with the likes of Bulldogs prop Roy Asotasi.

But Holmes a Court, who officially took control of the Rabbitohs with actor Russell Crowe earlier this month, said Souths was now concentrating on player retention.

"I think a large chunk of our hiring is complete, we've still got to look after some of our own and we want to do that now," he said.

Holmes a Court also endorsed a group of eight local businessmen who will run for South Sydney League Club's board next month.

The group includes former South Sydney skipper Jason Death, as well as the current director of the Rabbitohs football club Jim Hatfield.

Holmes a Court has given his full support to the group, and said he would join the eight-member Unity ticket if required.

© 2006 AAP

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Souths-NRL-recruitment-almost-done/2006/06/22/1150845299346.html