What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

June 30 Deadline - Re-signings and new signings, rumours and discussion

The Colonel

Immortal
* Tim Smith for 2 years

* PJ Marsh for 3 years

* John Morris in talks with the club

* Feleti Mateo off to London Broncos for remainder of season on loan until next year.

Stagger eel

Staff member
do you think we can add rumours and general discussion to the thread??...but only involving our club ofcourse.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Matt Peterson and John Morris are talking to the club this week about a new contract.

Avenger

Immortal
If Peterson is re-signed where does that place John Williams on the pecking order ?

Surely Widders is in negotiations as we speak.

The Colonel

Immortal
I think Jarryd Hayne, Brett Anderson and Ben Farrar would be better choices ahead of Williams in all honesty.

Stagger eel

Staff member
The Colonel said:
I think Jarryd Hayne, Brett Anderson and Ben Farrar would be better choices ahead of Williams in all honesty.

I think you might be right! Jarryd is tied up to a long term deal too.

Avenger

Immortal
Anyone have any background info on Hayne? Background, Junior Club etc ?

I have also heard that Kris Inu is on a long term scholarship type deal.

Avenger

Immortal
Hellchick said:
Who are we starting talks with other than Morris and Peto??

Vella, but he is holding out for more money. I say let him leave unless he settles for about $150,000 per year max.

Avenger

Immortal
I say sign Morris for another 2 years and then make a decision re: the 5/8th. Whether it will be Morris, Green, Perenara or Mateo. Morris is still only 24. If he continues the way he is he will be a gun player by age 26-28. Recently Sterling called him the "unsung hero" of 2005 and Mark Geyer described him as the most underrated player in the NRL.

The support he has given Tim Smith must be respected.

bartman

Immortal
Good thread! Can we perhaps mark official things separately to rumours, perhaps listing the source? It could get confusing in all the discussions....

I'm assuming Colonel's first post is all actual re-signings/news.

bartman

Immortal
I'm hanging out to hear of discussions with Widders, even if it's just anothe rone-year deal!

I'd also hang onto Morris for 2 years, all it takes is an injury to one of our playmaking positions and we're a bit short on quality. (We've been very lucky with injury so far this year, and it's easy to forget...)

I don't think retaining Morris will get in the way of promising younger playmakers (Green, Perenara) if the time comes when they warrant promotion first grade.

Delboy

First Grade
I think you will find Widder is signed for next year. Morris, Peterson, Valla, Wagon and Grothe have not yet signed, Interesting to see if Vella will be a one club player as he has often expressed, but hearing he wants a contract increase (surprising). Allowing for that we need to sign at least 2 new players to keep things fresh.

Hurriflatch

Referee
eelavation said:
I think you might be right! Jarryd is tied up to a long term deal too.

How long is Hayne signed for?

With the likes of Morris, Petersen and I guess you could even throw Vella and Wagon into the group who still have a lot to offer the club but have young and in most cases more talented players coming through they should be signed to 1c or 2 year deals with an extra year as option that way if at the end of that 1 or 2 years the young kid behind them now is ready for the top grade they can simply let the player go without having to pay for him to leave, while if that player isn't ready then Parra aren't left with nothing

Morris = Mateo, Green and M.Perenara
Petersen = J.Williams, Reddy, Hayne and Anderson
Wagon = T.Wynn, Sorensen and Mateo
Vella = Cordoba, Z.Taia, B.Taia, Oake, Hauraki and Backo

Stagger eel

Staff member
a mate of his told me 5 years!!

I wouldn't guarentee that we'd keep all our young players with the way we're going in PL and Flegg we will be under alot of attention from opposition clubs such as Manly, Souths and the Roosters who struggle to develop their own.

Hurriflatch

Referee
DAMN!!!

if true that is very good news assuming Hayne comes along as expected he could well be ready for the top grade in about 2 years meaning could get 3 seasons out of him in the top grade under his SG Ball/Flegg $$$$ deal which wouldn't be that much.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
I'm sure he wouldn't be stupid enough to fall for that... the contract probably has increasing $$$ as he progresses through the grades.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Yeah, there would be bonuses but the base fee would still be low in case he doesn't quite make it. Can't really say "This player will earn $200,000 in 2009" only to realise he is still in reggies at that time.

Would still be lower then what he could be worth.

Latest posts