What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Junior clubs.

newman

First Grade
Is this the entire list of current and former clubs in the local comp?

I seem to remember playing against a Miranda Magpies once upon a time. Any other clubs come and gone in the passing of time?

Aquinas/Holy family Colts
Bundeena Bushrangers
Homo Janalli
Cronulla Caringbah
De La Salle
Engadine Dragons
Gymea Gorillas
Heathcote Rams
Kurnell Stingrays
Menai Rooters
St John Bosco
St Josephs
St Patricks
Sutho Loftus
Taren Point should be ashamed of their jersey
Yarrawarrah Tigers

Last edited:

Quigs

Immortal
Port Hacking Miranda from the long, long distant past.

And don't forget Sylvania Heights

newman

First Grade
I played for Menai then Aquinas. I spent a lifetime getting belted by Como. I think in the 15s they went through undef and only had 4 or 5 tries scored against em all year (3 by us).

So would I be right in saying there were some older clubs

Sutherland United
Loftus Pirates
Miranda Magpies
Port Hacking Miranda
Sylvania Heights.

Any more info about mascots, colours, years of operation quigs?

shaggs

Coach
If you can get your hands on a junior league yearbook, that will have a list in the back, showing all the clubs and the years they were in the comps.
It also lists the premiers for every year.
I used to have a heap of them but don't know where they are.
Give the junior league secretary a call. They should be able to help.

shaggs

Coach
Como using the crocs mascot is only new. Maybe 2009. Go to sportingpulse.com.au.
That website has all the results for the current year, plus if you can navigate it there should be a link to each club. Most have a little bit of history on it.

Qld-Sharkie

Juniors
Ahhh...Como, under 23's, 20+ years ago. We won a handfull of games all year...mainly because we never had any reserve players...only 13 blokes ever showed up for each game. Break a bone...tuff, finish anyway.

Quigs

Immortal
Sylvania Heights played in yellow with a green V. I played for them back in or around 70 / 71.

Steve Kneen was in the grade above us along with Richard Thackery.

Port Hacking Miranda, probably 67 -68, the old guys from Miranda RSL formed that club. They wore dark blue jerseys with a narrow white v and a red v. I played for them for a couple of years that they lasted. The first year they played and trained on the corner of Port Hacking Rd and the Kingsway, we didn't even have goal post and the ground was just marked out on some bloody uneven hard terrain.

Then after that we played on the old Port hacking Highs ground.

I got a pic of a snotty nosed Quigsy getting a trophy from a bloke named Terry Hughes.

Quigs

Immortal
I remember going down to the Wonni to play a trial against a new junior club. Can't remember the name. The oval was on the south side of the wonni bridge and you drove south instead of crossing the old bridge.

I will never forget it... They had a bloody great big gum tree between the tryline and the dead ball line.

Another fond memory was playing the first ever day they opened up the Loftus Road ovals... just south of the Police Boys Club.

The ovals were filled and levelled with sand from far-kurnell. Well one of our blokes copped an interesting injury. He had to get taken off the field and carted off the hospital. He had a large fish hook embedded in his leg.

Imagine if that happend today.... who'd sue who.????

newman

First Grade
Quigs are you saying that you actually played club rounds on a field with no posts? Did they just do away with goal kicking?

Quigs

Immortal
Might of just been trial games ... can't remember what I had for breakfast let alone something that happend 40 plus years ago.

But we did play without post for some games... so they were probably trial games only. I know we trained there for some time.

I would have to guess again... that the club was waiting on permission to use the Port High School oval

Quigs

Immortal
I played in a red hot Gymea C Grade in 72 or 73. I remember fondly the trips to Schiller Bay (check me spellun) Como. I was involved in a tackle near the sideline where we gave the como bloke a real good hard hit. Knocked him about abit.

Next minute there was a few schooners on the ground around us. The ref had to stop play and a few drunks were ushered back into the como pub.

It was the wild west in those days.

Pig Champion

Juniors
You can include Bundeena as a defunct club. Last team was the 2006 u/6's, Nth Sydney Bears strip. Now most play at Yarrawarra, even had a Yarrawarra home game a couple of years ago at Bundeena oval.

I remember playing against sylvania, sutho, miranda magpies. I remember De La mums yelling out "Go Andy" against us, he wasn't ET yet. Barry Russell carving us up for Taren Point then coming to us. I may be dusky on facts but I'm sure we once were beating como 96 nil. They had a penalty kick straight in front and missed. I'm sure Barry caught it, beat the whole team to score, 99 nil, converted 101 nil.

I loved playing footy, just not very good at it except for tackling.