What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sloan

FlickFlano

Juniors
well .. forget the single image and watch the video .. it starts with Flano shaking Sloanies hand.

As far as sloans tackling goes, of the full time fullbacks only Bula has more one on one tackles than Sloan.

He had an ordinary tackling game against the Broncos, no hiding that. Was in position and attempted the tackles we are ranting about so immediately better than Dufty who would have been diving for intercepts rather than attempting the tackle.

This is a complete coaching/technique issue right now for Sloan and something a bloke like Coops could seriously help with. I expect in a fortnight Flano will name Sloan at 1 vs the Panthers and there will be two weeks of solid tackling drills for him between now and then.

TheRev

First Grade
I would love to know what Flanno said to him after the game
I actually think he would have been pretty positive, more of a chin-up son chat.... I mean obviously he will address the missed tackles, but I wasnt sure how Sloan was gonna respond to the tryrades of abuse that the Broncos sent his way.. but it didnt seem to crumple him or anything... he was alright for about 50mins.. 1 dropped contested bomb iirc.. but otherwise alright.. the missed tackles are an ongoing issue for me.. and he prob did enough in 2 of them if he had of had some support.

SEAT 1A

Bench
There have been other games in which Sloan has saved tries with his tackling.

I just looked at the highlights.

CT's first try, he was on the outside if needed. Liddle made a break, and he was in the middle before Jesse was tackled. CT's third try, Sloan was in the backline movement and gave it to Christian to go over and he was in position to collect a grubber on the line.

He's improved his game out of sight so, can't see why he can't improve his defence.

Lennyb

Juniors
The media are now starting on sloan.

Cronk mentioned him against the roosters and alexander last game. It will build unless he puts his body on the line.

He has had a very good run with the media after he cried on Lattrels shoulder. But we are possibilty of finals now and they are actually taking notice.

Big decision needed by sloan, fire up and put your body on the line or the media attention will escalate

Penrith and Storm next worry me for his mental health not his physical.

Dragon David

First Grade

Cronk mentioned him against the roosters and alexander last game. It will build unless he puts his body on the line.

He has had a very good run with the media after he cried on Lattrels shoulder. But we are possibilty of finals now and they are actually taking notice.

Big decision needed by sloan, fire up and put your body on the line or the media attention will escalate

I don't think that Tyrell gives a rat's arse on how the media is perceiving him and his shortcomings. His concern is to keep Flanno happy, not those scurvy creatures on the TV set and newspapers looking to put undue pressure on him.

He has a good mentor who is like a father image to him that he has known throughout his high school days and continues to discuss life in general with him.

Flanno will sort this out.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade

Pressure builds diamonds or busts glass

sloany still has run way and I feel confident that when we give him better field position at the back by our forwards putting their hand up then we will see a more complete package

FlickFlano

Juniors
He is in position more often than not, esp on sweep plays to the right ... but Hunt continues to hit the front man not the sweep man because that is what hunt does. His possessions per game stat is low compared to other fullbacks 100% .. that number is 25, but last weekend vs the Broncos (without Hunt) it was 38.

Sloan is 2nd in our team for total try involvements and equal 5th for total try involvements for all full time fullbacks in the NRL.

It is no coincidence that when we have halves who run straighter and pick the right person to get the ball to that Sloans touches increase.

Lennyb

Juniors
Pressure builds diamonds or busts glass

sloany still has run way and I feel confident that when we give him better field position at the back by our forwards putting their hand up then we will see a more complete package
Diamonds and glass. I like it.

His runway is getting shorter, even on our wins.

Your harsher than me. I would drop him back for these two games.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
He is in position more often than not, esp on sweep plays to the right ... but Hunt continues to hit the front man not the sweep man because that is what hunt does. His possessions per game stat is low compared to other fullbacks 100% .. that number is 25, but last weekend vs the Broncos (without Hunt) it was 38.

Sloan is 2nd in our team for total try involvements and equal 5th for total try involvements for all full time fullbacks in the NRL.

It is no coincidence that when we have halves who run straighter and pick the right person to get the ball to that Sloans touches increase.
Exactly right. With Ben he almost always chooses the wrong option in terms of hitting the lead instead of the sweep. We would have a lot more tries if he stopped with his shitty short balls to Su'a who doesn't even expect the pass half the time because the defence is pretty much locked onto him

TheRev

First Grade
I understand everyones arguments, and perhaps it comes back to what attacking gameplan we are going to go with.

I will be very curious to see what Flanno does for the Penrith game... cause there is no doubt that with MattF and Lomax not in the side and Rava/CT going decent last game.. there is an opportunity here to run 5 Tanks from the back if Flanno thought that might be a net win... but its a big roll of the dice given we are having a decent season.

Im not rly fussed tbh.. I dont love any of the options.. just whatever they think gives us the best chance for a win.

Kolum Kid

Juniors
I don't think that Tyrell gives a rat's arse on how the media is perceiving him and his shortcomings. His concern is to keep Flanno happy, not those scurvy creatures on the TV set and newspapers looking to put undue pressure on him.

He has a good mentor who is like a father image to him that he has known throughout his high school days and continues to discuss life in general with him.

Flanno will sort this out.
I agree with you DD. Id also add in the so called fans on this forum who trash him.
I also reckon most of the poster's going on about how soft he is should volunteer to show us how it's done.

Dribble&Yarn

Juniors
I understand everyones arguments, and perhaps it comes back to what attacking gameplan we are going to go with.

I will be very curious to see what Flanno does for the Penrith game... cause there is no doubt that with MattF and Lomax not in the side and Rava/CT going decent last game.. there is an opportunity here to run 5 Tanks from the back if Flanno thought that might be a net win... but its a big roll of the dice given we are having a decent season.

Im not rly fussed tbh.. I dont love any of the options.. just whatever they think gives us the best chance for a win.
It’s a decent idea - however Lomax playing FB robs us of his aerial ability, unless you use it once and target the fullback like Turbo

Latest posts