What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Junior Grades This Week

Hey Guys,

Not sure if you're aware but Manly is playing Newie in the HM's and SG Ball this Saturday at Baddeley Park, Cessnock.

I was just curious if anyone was going to attend these games? and could provide final scores over in the Manly forum/NSWRL Forum later that arvo/night?.

Best of luck this weekend, not too much tho ;-)

roopy

Referee
I don't know why they have been moved unless it was because the ground was getting chopped up with the wet weather footy.
The Penrith trial games at Cessnock had maybe 1500 people - very healthy for some junior trials.

roopy

Referee
Harold Mathews

Knights

1 - Alex Brew
2 - Pat Mata'utia
3 - Chanel Mata'utia
4 - Chad Redman (c)
5 - Nathan Cooper
6 - Tyler Sullivan
7 - Will Smith
8 - Jarome Wilson
9 - Chris Knight
10 - Ben Bradley
11 - Jeremy Maa
12 - Jason Savin
13 - Kori Barber

14 - Felise Taufaao
15 - Daniel Enosi Tuipuloto
16 - Gene Brown
17 - Jase Durston
18 - Dale Clacherty
19 - Shannon Harmey
20 - Zac Mowatt

Manly

Coote
Askew
Hopoate
Hayward
Donegal
Kerr-Tuaupiki
Deaves
Weston
Vescio
Daston
Hewitson
Clarke
Stalgis

McMillian
Wolfgramm
Hurd
Harris
Russo
Killingworth
Maestri
Mokofisi
Wearne
Wright

Knights won 30 to 16 and pretty much dominated all game despite letting Manly back in the game with 2 soft tries just before halftime to go to the break up only 14-12.
The Knights have a massive forward pack and some big, strong backs. Will Smith is a hardworking halfback but not a fantastic playmaker yet, although he does show promise.
My MOTM was fullback Alex Brew closely followed by massive forward Jeremy Maa.
I'd like to see the Knights get a bit more ruthless in putting sides away, but they are a very classy side.

roopy

Referee
either superman or Chanel Mata'utia

ChanelMatautai.jpg

roopy

Referee
The twin towers.
Jeremy Maa and Jerome Wilson are 6'3 or 4 and 100kg+ , basically Ben Cross sized 16 year olds. Jerome is a bit ponderous, but Jeremy is as mobile as anyone and both are devastating at Mathews level.

jeromeandjeremy.jpg

roopy

Referee
Alex Brew - safe under the high ball, returns the ball strongly, defends well, always looking to get involved. My MOTM.
AlexBrew.jpg

roopy

Referee
Jarome Wilson and Felise Taufaao.
Felise is 6'1 or so and 90+ kg - a big powerful forward for Matts, but is dwarfed by Jarome. If Jarome is the fourth Wilson brother he certainly isn't the runt of the litter.

FeliseTaufaao.jpg

roopy

Referee
Will Smith - a decent halfback who defends as well as anyone, works hard in attack, but could have some more tricks up his sleeve for 5th tackle options i think.

WillSmith.jpg

roopy

Referee
SG Ball

Nick Dwan - injured early and limped around the park half the game
Keiran English - scored a good try and looks very quick
Robbie Rochow - a big centre who also filled in at Fullback and looked good
Harmony Hunt - a bit of a shirt grabber in defence but a very good attacking centre
Peter Mata'utia - about three classes above anyone else on the field - fantastic classy player
Ethan Cook - has bulked up a lot and looked great - could play lock like his brother
Blake Birch - great kicking game and a powerful defender - quality halfback
Josh Ailaomai - big islander
Liam Higgins - has improved heaps - great little hooker who makes some good breaks
Ben Tupou - played hard for big minutes
Macgraff Leuluai - another big islander
Shane Gray - another big islander - very mobile wide running second rower
Chris Marlborough - classy forward

Dane Cordner - a really hard second rower - smashed em
Keiran Shearer
Brendan Rotumah
Alex McMillian
Jake Law
Isaac Dargan
Theeran Pearson (Luke Walsh sized aboriginal halfback who played with firstgrade)

Manly

Dunn
Sheehan
Porter
Dyer
Ala
Annear
Bennett
Tasi
Parry
Cunningham
Puliuvea
Thomas
Meaney

Lahoud
Webster
Haddrick
Hatzimarkos
Shorter
Preston
Burgio
Gallen

Knights are a very complete team who totally dominated a Manly side who looked a pretty handy side. The final score was 38-10, but the Knights put the cue back in the rack at 38-0 with 10 to go. Peter Mata'utai played wing but as he always does he chimed into the play all over the field including on his opposite wing at times and everything he did was class.
The forwards are big and powerfull and the backs are all class in attack although a few could defend better. Birch and Cook are both big and tough and classy, although i notice Theeran Pearson was named on the bench for this game and played firstgrade. He is an aboriginal halfback who looks like he has more toe than a roman sandle - a Matty Bowen type - but he could well be earmarked for our Toyota Cup side from game one i think.

I wasn't that impressed with Ball in the few minutes of trials i watched, but these guys were amazing - as good or better than the Mathews side. My best were Mata'utai, Birch and Cordner in the forwards.

roopy

Referee
Spike said:
Is Gene Brown a younger brother to Riley and Joel?
Yes.
In the trials i thought he was the best playmaker in the side, and when he came off the bench yesterday the first touch of the ball he held up a pass to put a guy through a gap for the best try of the game, but he played centre for the rest of the game and just looked reasonable without setting the world on fire.

bluesbreaker

Bench
Stick around for first grade Roops? Uate could've had 5 or 6 tries if not for passes on the shoelaces. This guy's gotta get a run, he is a freak.

Spike

First Grade
roopy said:
Yes.
In the trials i thought he was the best playmaker in the side, and when he came off the bench yesterday the first touch of the ball he held up a pass to put a guy through a gap for the best try of the game, but he played centre for the rest of the game and just looked reasonable without setting the world on fire.

Have you seen much of his kicking game?

roopy

Referee
bluesbreaker said:
Stick around for first grade Roops? Uate could've had 5 or 6 tries if not for passes on the shoelaces. This guy's gotta get a run, he is a freak.
I watched a little bit of firsts.
Uate looked huge - little doogs looked like a midget next to him and kept giving him sh*t balls.
Mick Young has bulked up a lot, but still can't break the line.

roopy

Referee
Peter Mata'utai.
For some reason all three Mata'utai brothers crack up laughing every now and then.
I think they need drug testing.

PeterMatautai.jpg

roopy

Referee
Kick off last night saw Cross get his first touch for the Knights.
Steve Gordon has also bulked up a lot.

cross1.jpg

cross2.jpg

Latest posts