What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Junior Grades This Week

Johns Magic

Referee
macavity said:
Mullo IS a legitimate 7

Bailey/Mullo is our strongest halves pairing atm - especially if Bedsy can kick a few a game, and Kids can come into the line every now and then.

Bailey/Mullo leaves no weakness in the defensive line, meaning we can play a much better structure - and it leaves our forwards fresher as they don't have to tackle for the 7.

having said that, Dureau is looking good - I think he is head and shoulders above Walsh right now on defence alone.

But is Bailey a legitimate 5/8?

This could be Rudder all over again.

macavity

Referee
I would take Bails over Rudder any day of the week.

I do understand what you mean though - and it is right for the jury to be out. hopefully im right, but I have been wrong before.

FTR he was one of the standouts in the trial v the warriors (sorry I can't upload it guys)

Joey magic aside, I don't think it coincidence that we were most dominant with a great defensive halves pairing - Joey and Rudder/Gids

roopy

Referee
Karawana v Bailey is an interesting argument.
They are pretty much the same size (both 96kg)
Marvin is 4 years younger and i think has about the same number of firstgrade games give or take a few.
I'd say Marvin has a slightly better skill set but Bails gets a bit more involved.
Hardly any difference at all IMO.
Marvin probably has more long term potential.

keeney

First Grade
Bailey is a talented player, but he isn't a half. I'm sick of the whole put a backrower in the 6 game plan. Mullo needs to be our 6 with a legitimate 7 to split thye field between them or work in tandem at the ehad of our backs. Our attack was positively impotent last year.

macavity

Referee
keeney said:
Our attack was positively impotent last year.

mullo and bedsy hardly played and our best attacking outside back A Doogs (until he too got injured)

i reckon we are well placed for this year compared to last, irrespective of the halves.

Burwood

Bench
There were whispers in yesterday's paper that Smith isn't very impressed with our halves options, and that Newcastle might resign Thaiday from Central to play fullback which would free up Kidley to move back into the centres.

Hanscholo

Bench
macavity said:
I would take Bails over Rudder any day of the week.

I do understand what you mean though - and it is right for the jury to be out. hopefully im right, but I have been wrong before.

FTR he was one of the standouts in the trial v the warriors (sorry I can't upload it guys)

Joey magic aside, I don't think it coincidence that we were most dominant with a great defensive halves pairing - Joey and Rudder/Gids

Rudder was a terrible defender, not just one on ones, but rushing out of the line, sticking an arm out and not moving towards someone, grabing jumpers, and the thing i used to scream at the TV about....laying in the ruck for 5 mins after every tackle and putting massive pressure on his team mates to cover for him at marker.

As for Bailey i think smith wants someone 3 in from the side that can read an attack, take on a big bloke and still have enough fuel in the tank to ball play and make some runs. I reckon hes the fave atm for the number 6, smith loves his workman like 6's, which would put Mullen in the 7. Its win all round for me as long as he puts patterson over with Bails the attack shouldnt suffer too much.

Walsh looks a lot bigger to me, has he bulked up? Ty for the photos too.

Pika

Bench
Yeah, those profiles are not real good mate.

Wicks at 110, that is pretty funny.

Johns Magic

Referee
Burwood said:
There were whispers in yesterday's paper that Smith isn't very impressed with our halves options, and that Newcastle might resign Thaiday from Central to play fullback which would free up Kidley to move back into the centres.

I'd love to see Milton back but it sounds like Kids would have to play in the 6 again if it happened.

Whats Doing

Bench
I cannot see Smithy allowing the situation of having a half who cannot tackle like what happened last year. Unless Dureau or Walsh havs improved out pf sight in defence, I cannot see either of them playing first grade.

We need to be realistic that unless you can tackle, you will not play first grade, otherwise it sets a demoralising mindset with the rest of the team.

I have said all along we needed to have purchased a half instead of overloading the side with forwards. This could bite us on the a#se

billy2

Juniors
Will Smith - a decent halfback who defends as well as anyone, works hard in attack, but could have some more tricks up his sleeve for 5th tackle options i think.

WillSmith.jpg
Could do with a good feed too.

Latest posts