What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

junior kiwi signed - roger tafua

beekershark

Bench
IM with Special K here, a good signing and i'm happy to have the kid. we are short on front row depth and we've got him at the right time and I wuld imagine the right price.

I agree that letting galloway go hurt, but the money he wanted was too big to retain him, more kids like Roger for mine !

Booyah

Bench
Signing a Kiwi is no different then signing a Queenslander, of which we signed a fair few over the years. Half our flegg side were bannana benders.

He looks like a solidhorse. I bet I could take him though.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
I still reckon if nrl clubs continue to stack their sides with young kiwis there will eventually be a roll on effect for the roos. It may take ten years but I can see the day the roos are weak due to a lack of seasoned 1st graders. If the nrl allows the clubs to continue down the kiwi recruitment road what incentive is there to develop the local kids? They should re-adopt the old local junior rule.

imasharkie

Coach
Gunnamatta said:
I still reckon if nrl clubs continue to stack their sides with young kiwis there will eventually be a roll on effect for the roos. It may take ten years but I can see the day the roos are weak due to a lack of seasoned 1st graders. If the nrl allows the clubs to continue down the kiwi recruitment road what incentive is there to develop the local kids? They should re-adopt the old local junior rule.

It's all about winning Gunna. Besides we're probably the main culprit but we've gotta go there because the rorters take all ours before they get out of their nappies.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
It's all about winning Gunna

Thats my point. But I'm talking about the international level in say ten years.

I would love to see the Sharks win a premiership but I'm also concerned about the bigger picture.

PeacheyPower

Juniors
Gunnamatta said:

It's the Aussie clubs who are ruining international League by not releasing Kiwi players for games.

I think that's a bigger concern than a couple of Kiwis being signed to the club.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
PeacheyPower said:
It's the Aussie clubs who are ruining international League by not releasing Kiwi players for games.

The players need surgery. How many aussie players do you think have already ruled themselves out for the same reason? There will be more. No one mentions that. The simple fact is the tri nations is badly timed. The truth is soo has ruined internationals. It is ranked above test matches. Just look at the crowds and media coverage.

I think that's a bigger concern than a couple of Kiwis being signed to the club.

So I'm an alarmist and should not be considering the future of the Roos. How long before 'a couple of kiwis' reaches say 50 percent. Theres a lot of bargains to be had in nz. Meanwhile our juniors are being neglected.

Time will tell.

imasharkie

Coach
Gunnamatta said:

I would love to see the Sharks win a premiership but I'm also concerned about the bigger picture.

No way mate, Sharks come 1st. I would much rather watch the Sharks win a premiership then australia win the tri nations. In my world even if the sharks buy the whole kiwi test squad and we win the premi, that'll do me, I will be one happy fella.

Quigs

Immortal
are any of these guys related to the Sorensens... I wouldn't mind a couple of Kiwi's as good as those two.

You can't turn back the hands of time, but you can always wind it up.

Cheers
Quigs

White Poiner

Coach
imasharkie said:
No way mate, Sharks come 1st. I would much rather watch the Sharks win a premiership then australia win the tri nations. In my world even if the sharks buy the whole kiwi test squad and we win the premi, that'll do me, I will be one happy fella.

My exact feelings. f**k the world cronulla comes first.

ali

Bench
A strong Kiwi national team would be great for RL. The problem with international rl at the moment is the public thinks the Kiwis and GB are not competitive. If NZ start beating us regularly it would be great for RL. So the more young kiwis who get exposed at a higher level the better.

By the way, I wish we were scouting as intensely in PNG.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
The nrl should make every club 'adopt' one young player from PNG each year and billet him with a local family. Sort of a scholarship. We could send ours to Endeavour.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
From the NZ Stuff site:

Juniors snapped up by NRL clubs
16 September 2005
by JOHN COFFEY

Christchurch juniors as young as aged 13 are being groomed with the target of attracting professional contracts from National Rugby League (NRL) clubs by the ages of 17 or 18.

NRL officials are almost falling over each other signing teenage New Zealanders to scholarships and full-time contracts in their quest for the next Sonny Bill Williams or Benji Marshall.

At least five of the most promising youngsters in Canterbury are destined to be playing across the Tasman in 2006.

Lewis Brown, 19, and Charlie Herekotukutuku, 20, left after the first Bartercard Cup round in April to trial for the Cronulla Sharks, while playing at Griffith in the Riverina country district of NSW.

But the Sharks were beaten to their signatures by the Sydney Roosters after that club's Riverina scout spotted them in action.

The Sharks have since signed Canterbury age-group representative Brackin Karauria-Henry at 16 and Junior Kiwis forward Roger Tafua, 18, on two-year deals and included them in their elite training squad.

Canterbury Bulls scrum-half Quincy To'o To'o, 17, is to visit the Sharks operation with his parents later this month and seems likely to join Karauria-Henry and Tafua.

The Parramatta Eels have given a scholarship to Rulon Nutria-Hoani, 15, the only Canterbury member of the New Zealand 16-years team which plays in Australia from September 28 to October 8. Nutria-Hoani will stay in Christchurch to complete his schooling, but will attend two Parramatta camps and play trials next year as the Eels assess his potential.

Parramatta recruitment officer Rod Reddy was also impressed with the sharpness of To'o To'o when he attended a Bulls training session. Reddy has requested a video tape of Sunday's Bartercard Cup grand final against the Mount Albert Lions.

Nutria-Hoani (Christ's College), To'o To'o (St Thomas' College), and Karauria-Hunt (Christchurch Boys High School) are still at school. Tafua is a student at the New Zealand Institute of Sport.

"Parramatta are only looking at under-15s, unless there is someone exceptional," Bulls assistant coach David Perkins said.

"By then (15) they have had their own kids in their development programme for two years. They prefer our kids to finish their schooling in New Zealand."

The Sharks, who have arranged for Karauria-Hunt to attend Endeavour Sports High School in Cronulla next year, prefer to sign players at 17 or 18, Jeff Whittaker, their Christchurch contact, said.

A former Canterbury Rugby League coaching and development manager and now president of the Halswell club, Whittaker said Halswell was giving youngsters a chance to realise their NRL dreams from the age of 13.

"We'll put six 13-year-olds on scholarships at Halswell and develop them. They will be on a gym programme, we will help them with their education, and the likes of (former top players) Aaron Whittaker, Glen Coughlan, and Mike Dorreen are their mentors.

"Basically, we are looking at a three-year programme and hope the pick of them will then be good enough to go over for a camp.

"From that (at 16) they will be looked at for another 18 months for possible contracts with the Sharks," Whittaker said.

Linwood sends youngsters to Wests Tigers camps and the Aranui High School sports academy has annual coaching exchanges with the Brisbane Broncos.

"Having three or four NRL clubs here at the moment says something for the Canterbury development programme run by Terry Hermansson in the 16s and 18s and Phil Prescott at the Bulls," Whittaker said.

"Maybe the Warriors have to get down here and see that the people who are doing the job are doing it properly.

"Our job is to get the boys playing at the best level they can. If that's Bartercard Cup, then good. But we have players here on the verge of NRL contracts which shows the programme is working.

"By the time our kids get to the Bulls they are semi-professional in that they know about a gym programme, their weight and their diet. "The Aussie kids start at the age of 13 and this is the only way we are going to compete."

Rugby league in New Zealand would benefit from having more players in the NRL, "the best football competition in the world", Whittaker said.

He expected a flow-on effect in Canterbury as parents and youngsters became aware of the opportunities available to them.

Hermansson, a former Kiwis prop and current junior coach, said financial considerations influenced clubs to seek talented teenagers as opposed to proven, adult footballers.

"There is more risk but less cost to the clubs to take a 17 or 18 year-old over, as opposed to someone who is 24 and wouldn't shift for a few thousand dollars and an incentive contract," Hermansson said. "At 23 or 24, clubs have a better idea whether players will be successful. But they have to spend more to get them."

imasharkie

Coach
No wonder we've got junior kiwis coming out of our ear. Good work Sharkies and keep up the good work Jeff Whitaker.
Thanks for the report Gunna.