What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Junior Rugby League Mandatory Licensed Playing Gear

The Rosco

Bench
Have been hearing a strong rumour in the clothing industry that junior RL clubs will only be able to purchase their playing attire ( and possibly other gear as well ) from officially licensed suppliers.
This licence fee is said to be many thousands of dollars, and must be paid by any supplier to a junior RL club.
There would be hundreds of local junior clubs that would use a local supplier, who probably sponsors the teams, to provide their playing strips. This will end.
So many local jobs and businesses will suffer, to the benefit of Chinese suppliers. No, not everything is made in China. Yet. This is just killing another part of a once proud Aussie industry. And once it's been killed off, it ain't ever coming back.
The free competition that is driven by an open market means that end user pricing is kept to a fair level. This will end.

Have you ever wondered why an official NRL jersey is $180 ? . . . . or a polo shirt $60 ?
These garments cost less than $20 to land here from China. Decorated, printed, cut and sewn, and shipped.
The licensing costs will not be borne by the supplier in the long run. It's the poor old mums and dads that let johnny play RL that will pay. Let's see . . . very few suppliers in charge of a hugely in demand product. They have to pay thousands for that privilege. They have hardly any competition. They won't rip us off, will they ?

The clubs will be up for a massive rise in costs. Massive. The days of the local junior clubs in a battlers area giving away free shorts and socks to attract the u/6s are gone.
But the good thing is the NRL will be able to cut a larger slice of the junior RL pie for themselves. Their take from the licensing fees, plus a healthy margin of all products licensed to themselves will ensure many self congratulatory back pats.

Now, the other codes who are slamming our junior numbers better do the same thing immediately. They have to, right ? Otherwise won't we look like a laughing stock when it will cost parents/clubs $150 to dress lil Johnny for his rugby league season, or only $70 for his soccer season ? We might see an exodus of RL juniors going to play soccer . . . oh hang on . . .

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I believe but could be wrong that clubs must already get their jerseys from only a couple of certain suppliers already.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hopefully the nrl will take its responsibility to jnr rl seriously and will supply the kits free of charge, or at least heavily discounted.bulk buying from preferred providers in that case would be better for the nrl.

hrundi99

First Grade
This year's rego fees at Belrose for Under 6s has gone from $60 to $70. This includes jersey, shorts, socks, drink bottle and training singlet.

By comparison, when my son did Soccajoeys it cost $150 per 10 week term for a one off t-shirt and drink bottle.

League is still a lot cheaper.

Delboy

First Grade
Don't know where you get $70 for sokker

My grandsons play close to $300 and they don't even get a shirt, that's given back at the end of the year

The others that play for a junior rugby league club pay $150 and get to keep all their strip inc. playng jersey, training shirt, shorts and socks and yearbook,. You are in fantasy land if you think sokker is cheap, who do you think is financing the A league, the juniors

ek999

First Grade
Don't know where you get $70 for sokker

My grandsons play close to $300 and they don't even get a shirt, that's given back at the end of the year

The others that play for a junior rugby league club pay $150 and get to keep all their strip inc. playng jersey, training shirt, shorts and socks and yearbook,. You are in fantasy land if you think sokker is cheap, who do you think is financing the A league, the juniors

And then there is the additional money that needs to be spent if the kids make rep teams in soccer

Thomas

First Grade
My kid plays union (the local club is a 5 minute walk from our house) and we paid $255 for the season which includes training shirt, shorts, socks, a new ball, water bottle, insurance and monthly goodie-bags from the QRU which include tickets to games, hats, stickers and the like. It's good value. Our neighbour's kid plays for the local league club and it's about half that.

There are soccer clubs in Melbourne that charge $1400 a kid per season. I'm not shitting you.

kdalymc

Bench
Lol do you think jerseys are still made here?
Every team in the southside comp (brisbane) must go thru either struddys or 5star sports.
You might give your money to an australian, but the order goes straight to China, and the jerseys are made in China...
What your talking about has been happening for atleast 15 years..

And club rego (around $150-$200) 'usually' gets you jersey, socks, shorts, few other items, however 'usually' a sponsor pays for jerseys ie- jersey is free anyways

Last edited:

Slackboy72

Coach
3rnvk6.jpg

Canard

Immortal
Lol do you think jerseys are still made here?
Every team in the southside comp (brisbane) must go thru either struddys or 5star sports.
You might give your money to an australian, but the order goes straight to China, and the jerseys are made in China...
What your talking about has been happening for atleast 15 years..

And club rego (around $150-$200) 'usually' gets you jersey, socks, shorts, few other items, however 'usually' a sponsor pays for jerseys ie- jersey is free anyways

It's been like that since the 80s to be honest.

OP seems to be new to the game.

The Rosco

Bench
This year's rego fees at Belrose for Under 6s has gone from $60 to $70. This includes jersey, shorts, socks, drink bottle and training singlet.

By comparison, when my son did Soccajoeys it cost $150 per 10 week term for a one off t-shirt and drink bottle.

League is still a lot cheaper.

I didn't mention rego fees in the $150 to $70 comparison. Not talking about rego fees at all.
I'm pretty sure the comparison made is what it costs to dress your kid for sport.
If the RL is cheaper now . . . that's great. I'm sure it will increase dramatically when this licensing law comes into effect. All those free shorts and socks might not be free for much longer.

If you have grandsons paying $300 per year in soccer rego ( OT ), they are either "adult" age, or they are playing in some sort of elite comp, or are being ripped off.

Don't let $1400 per year scare you off, there are much higher fees payable if you want your kid in junior premier youth teams. Thankfully, league hasn't gone down that pathway.

And finally, yes I know how long stuff has been made in China for. I'm in the trade. I still try and make what I can in Australia. It's not all about price, and thankfully there are a handful of clubs still prepared to back Australian made. Sadly, they will soon have that choice taken off the table by these licensing laws.
This post isn't about made in Oz Vs made in China.
It is about the removal of choice by the governing body.

Oh, and it isn't about rego fees. The words rego, or rego fees do not appear in my original post.

Last edited:

innsaneink

Referee
One of my sons old clubs used Classic jerseys, from at least late 90s (unsure when they began with them) till early 2000s and then X-Blades for at least a few years till he left in about '09
Both Aussie companies?
I think all balmain JRL clubs used X-Blades for some time...possibly still do

Have been hearing a strong rumour in the clothing industry that junior RL clubs will only be able to purchase their playing attire ( and possibly other gear as well ) from officially licensed suppliers.
This licence fee is said to be many thousands of dollars, and must be paid by any supplier to a junior RL club.
There would be hundreds of local junior clubs that would use a local supplier, who probably sponsors the teams, to provide their playing strips. This will end.
So many local jobs and businesses will suffer, to the benefit of Chinese suppliers. No, not everything is made in China. Yet. This is just killing another part of a once proud Aussie industry. And once it's been killed off, it ain't ever coming back.
The free competition that is driven by an open market means that end user pricing is kept to a fair level. This will end.

Have you ever wondered why an official NRL jersey is $180 ? . . . . or a polo shirt $60 ?
These garments cost less than $20 to land here from China. Decorated, printed, cut and sewn, and shipped.
The licensing costs will not be borne by the supplier in the long run. It's the poor old mums and dads that let johnny play RL that will pay. Let's see . . . very few suppliers in charge of a hugely in demand product. They have to pay thousands for that privilege. They have hardly any competition. They won't rip us off, will they ?

The clubs will be up for a massive rise in costs. Massive. The days of the local junior clubs in a battlers area giving away free shorts and socks to attract the u/6s are gone.
But the good thing is the NRL will be able to cut a larger slice of the junior RL pie for themselves. Their take from the licensing fees, plus a healthy margin of all products licensed to themselves will ensure many self congratulatory back pats.

Now, the other codes who are slamming our junior numbers better do the same thing immediately. They have to, right ? Otherwise won't we look like a laughing stock when it will cost parents/clubs $150 to dress lil Johnny for his rugby league season, or only $70 for his soccer season ? We might see an exodus of RL juniors going to play soccer . . . oh hang on . . .

I've heard the same thing but it's not just junior clubs that are impacted it's all senior clubs too, from NRL down to State Cups, A Grade and junior comps.
Apparently it's already been stitched up by the major players, CCC, BLK, Classic, ISC etc and it'll squeeze out the smaller independent manufacturers.

Don't know of any small independent manufacturers. All junior leagues I have been involved in get the jerseys in bulk through the NRL parent club.

Maybe be different in regional areas or areas without an NRL club.

The Colonel

Immortal
In Moree it's a minimum of $150 for a soccer season and you get a pair of shorts and maybe a pair of socks...

League is $60 to $70..... Though they do travel.

The Rosco

Bench
Don't know of any small independent manufacturers. All junior leagues I have been involved in get the jerseys in bulk through the NRL parent club.

Maybe be different in regional areas or areas without an NRL club.

In Sydney, there are a number independent makers/suppliers. I am one of them. I have supplied to/been involved with supply to a few clubs . . . some small, some huge . . . and they have always got their gear through such manufacturers, never the parent club. Strange how it works out sometimes.

Can someone please tell me what the rego fees for soccer and RL are nowadays ?

RL in Sydney is generally only about $60 a kid but spikes to about $200 plus around age 17/18 possibly due to extra insurance.

Not sure if it's still the case but there was a time all Rabbits juniors didn't pay a cent for anything due to the South's juniors club on Anzac Pde funding everything.

The CRL makes clubs buy from approved suppliers. This was introduced because some suppliers were screwing clubs. So it was done to protect clubs from unreliable and dodgy companies. It doesn't necessarily mean only two or three big companies are preferred. There's quite a few approved suppliers and they're not all big companies. The biggest issue would be if it pushed costs up significantly. Jerseys in particular are a major cost for clubs every year.