What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Junior Vaivai stood down after assault conviction

bartman

Immortal
Didn't even know we'd signed him... Souths get out of it easy, they just stand down the wife-beating merkin for the rest of the season and then he's our problem.

Surely we knew or were told he had pending charges due to be resolved soon, before we inked his deal? :(

newmanj

Juniors
PE, i have always enjoyed your posts. Normally excellent and funny, but that one was plain wrong. He pleaded guilty! He did it, and its wrong. No woman "asks" for it. For that matter, no man "asks" for it, however he may deserve it. But a woman, NO. Not Ever!

His contract should be torn up immediately. I dont want people like that representing my club. I dont care if they are the next Andrew Johns. There is no place for them in our club.

84 Baby

Referee
It'd be reason to cancel the contract if he didn't inform us of pending criminal proceedings. If he did tell us then that's interesting

SDM

First Grade
I am not going to condemn him, just incase a good player does a similar thing and I have to defend him. Don't want to be labelled a hypocrite.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
PE, i have always enjoyed your posts. Normally excellent and funny, but that one was plain wrong.

Yeah mate, it was intended tongue-in-cheek.

He pleaded guilty! He did it, and its wrong. No woman "asks" for it. For that matter, no man "asks" for it, however he may deserve it. But a woman, NO. Not Ever!

How can a man deserve it but not a woman?

These guys live in a world - supported by the fans - where it's acceptable to punch a man who disrespects you on the street or in a nightclub. It's not much of a stretch for it to then become acceptable to slap a woman who disrespects you in your home.

As long as people excuse violent behaviour as a way to maintain face/honour/dignity, there will continue to be violence against women.

The same people who cheered Benji Marshall for punching that racist are responsible for other footy players assaulting women who disrespect them.

It's the same f**king thing. It's just a matter of degree.

Bazal

Post Whore
Shame....he's a great young talent, I was looking forward to having him. Still, he's 21, if the club choose to keep him on I'd be willing to give him a second chance. I won't condemn him as a wife beater without any idea of the details, but it's a pretty ordinary thing. Then again, certain other players are still playing in the nations capital and various Sydney teams, so the precedent for "forgive and forget" so to speak.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
it seems to depend on just how good you are as to whether you get a second chance, or in Carney's case about a 10th chance

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
so Carney is now allowed back with the chooks announced on Foxsports this morning,

just like I said, depends who you are not what you've done

Gronk

Staff member
Taioalo 'Junior' Vaivai - justice blind to footy's acclaim
647424-junior-vaivai.jpg

Blasted ... Junior Vaivai / Pic: Mark Evans Source: The Daily Telegraph
A PROMISING NRL player has been slammed by a magistrate for trying to avoid an assault conviction, saying the court doesn't care if someone is "a footballer or a butcher".

Rabbitohs centre Taioalo "Junior" Vaivai yesterday pleaded guilty in Wollongong Local Court to a charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm on his girlfriend Renee Laidlaw.
Documents before the court said the pair had been at her Illawarra home on Anzac Day and had argued about money and "other relationship issues".
"The victim described the 21-year-old as 'snapping' and said 'he got angry really quickly'," court documents stated. Police said Vaivai punched Ms Laidlaw three times in the arm, causing "immediate pain and bruising".
"The accused has grabbed her hair at the rear of her head [which was in a bun] ... and pushed [her] head into the metal bedframe with force, using both his hands."
Ms Laidlaw described her injuries as "excruciating" and she needed treatment for facial swelling at Wollongong Hospital.
The documents said once Vaivai had "calmed down" following the assault, he got a small packet of frozen vegetables and told his partner "you have to put this on your eye".

But the court heard Ms Laidlaw didn't immediately report the assault out of concern for Vaivai's NRL career. He was charged by police on April 29.
Vaivai's solicitor Keith Bagley asked Magistrate Les Mabbutt not to record a conviction against his client, citing his previous good behaviour, early guilty plea and an emerging career.
But the magistrate wasn't impressed, drawing on photographs shown to him highlighting Ms Laidlaw's injuries as proof this was a "highly serious" offence.
"I don't care if you're a footballer or a butcher," he said. "These sorts of offences are committed by all sorts of people ... to do what you do as a career, it doesn't make you any different to someone else in the community."
A Rabbitohs spokesman last night said that Vaivai was stood down once the club were told about the charge, and it was now "considering their position" on his future.
In addition to having a conviction for the charge recorded, Vaivai was also placed on a two-year good behaviour bond and fined $2500.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...o-footys-acclaim/story-e6frfgeo-1226050767249

Gronk

Staff member
Interesting to see if he inked a contract with us and what our position is now.

Gotta say, grabbing a woman by the back of the head and slamming her into the bed post is a pretty low & cowardly act.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
that's a pretty vicious attack, seems to have anger management issues