What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jury out on Eels halves, says Kenny

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Parramatta legend Brett Kenny says the Eels' in-form halves combination could become their Achilles heel in the NRL finals.

Young Eels halfback Tim Smith is set to collect Rookie of the Year honours after combining with converted hooker John Morris to keep Parramatta in sight of the 2005 minor premiership with three rounds left.

But Kenny said 20-year-old Smith's inexperience could be exposed in the pressure-cooker finals atmosphere and believed Morris "is not a five-eighth".

Kenny - who holds the Eels' club record for most first grade games (265) - said Sunday's sold out NRL clash against title favourites St George Illawarra would give an early indication of how the halves handled finals pressure.

"Their combination is very good at the moment but it remains to be seen once the finals start how they handle that," he said.

"Tim Smith is the one you've got to be concerned about. There will be a lot of pressure on him because of the season he has had - you just wonder how he will handle it."

On Morris, Kenny said: "I said at the start of the year I didn't believe John Morris was a five-eighth and probably still don't believe he is.

"I wouldn't have Morris at five-eighth myself, I still believe he's a hooker."

Kenny said Smith - who leads the league with 30 try assists - would have to improve his passing game if the Eels were to become a force.

"Tim Smith goes quite well but I'm not prepared to give him as big a rap as the media does - I don't think he is an outstanding halfback just yet," he said.

"I think he has a lot of potential and he's got an outstanding kicking game.

"But there are a lot of things from a halfback's point of view that I don't think he does just yet.

"He's got to start running the football a little more and attack the line himself, start looking at putting blokes into gaps.

"And he's got to be aware of his long, flat passes. He likes to throw them and I've seen two intercepts and even one on Friday night against the Bulldogs.

"When they played St George (six weeks ago) he hit one bloke on the chest - unfortunately it was a St George player."

But Kenny, who starred in Parramatta's glittering run of four titles in the 1980s, said Smith was destined for greatness.

"Give him time and he has the potential to become a very good halfback," he said.

"A lot of people are saying he is another Peter Sterling but I don't think he will ever be another Peter Sterling - there's only one Sterlo."

Kenny also issued a warning to Smith.

"Just play, don't worry about the comparisons with other players because nine times out of 10 the people who rap him, as soon as he has a bad one they are the first to say he's lost it," he said.

Kenny said he would watch with interest how the halves handle the pressure of Sunday's blockbuster against the Dragons at Oki Jubilee Stadium, which will be attended by Prime Minister John Howard and NSW Premier Morris Iemma.

"It would be a good test for them to see how they are going - Morris and Smith are up against formidable opposition in (Trent) Barrett and (Ben) Hornby," he said.

The Dragons became outright title favourites ahead of the Eels after thumping ladder leader Brisbane 24-4 last Sunday.

Eels great Kenny was still not sold on the Dragons' title chances.

"I've still got my doubts about St George. Over the years how many times have they got close to the finals and everyone said `this is their year' and they miss the finals or like last year they lose the first game and they are out?

"I'm still wary of that happening."

Stagger eel

Staff member
well he's virtually written off St George and has also written off the Smith/Morris combo..yet again!

Just wondering what he thinks of Penriths chances this year?

Kenny u might be a parra legend , but u are sounding like an old fart with gripes against ourr club, just go and worry about ur penrith panthers who are maybe going to collect the spoon, honestly we have played every team in the comp and we are running second last time i looked at the table, we have the same halfing pair all year and they are leading in assists and this idiot still has the nack to talk sh*t. Piss off kenny, i have lost any respect i have had for you, it just seems this fool just wants any excuse to put sh*t on parra.

Stagger eel

Staff member
parraitdoesmatta said:
Kenny u might be a parra legend , but u are sounding like an old fart with gripes against ourr club, just go and worry about ur penrith panthers who are maybe going to collect the spoon, honestly we have played every team in the comp and we are running second last time i looked at the table, we have the same halfing pair all year and they are leading in assists and this idiot still has the nack to talk sh*t. Piss off kenny, i have lost any respect i have had for you, it just seems this fool just wants any excuse to put sh*t on parra.

Mate. your entitled to your opinion but still harsh words considering what he's achieved for our club, just think of it this way, he hates the coach, he hates the CEO, that is Brett Kenny's agendas,

I'm sure deep down inside he wants us to succede but I don't think he can stand us winning a comp with Smith at the helm.

Introducting the Brett Kenny Quote Machine. with all you favorates

"Morris is not a 5/8th"
"Tim Smith needs to get a running game"
and of course that old favorite.
"See how they go in the Pressure games"

Get yours now for just 199.95 + Postage and Handling and we will include the comments like

"There is only one Sterlo" for absolutly nothing,

This is a must have for any rugby league jurno, the week heading into a big eels match. Simply press the right buttons and Brett will give you quote after quote for your article to annouce that the Prime Minister and NSW Premier will be at the game.

ACT NOW.

Stagger eel

Staff member
MarkInTheStands said:
Introducting the Brett Kenny Quote Machine. with all you favorates

"Morris is not a 5/8th"
"Tim Smith needs to get a running game"
and of course that old favorite.
"See how they go in the Pressure games"

Get yours now for just 199.95 + Postage and Handling and we will include the comments like

"There is only one Sterlo" for absolutly nothing,

This is a must have for any rugby league jurno, the week heading into a big eels match. Simply press the right buttons and Brett will give you quote after quote for your article to annouce that the Prime Minister and NSW Premier will be at the game.

ACT NOW.

how about a set of steak knives with that??......only problem is we're gonna have to remove them from Smithys back ourselves.

eelavation said:
how about a set of steak knives with that??......only problem is we're gonna have to remove them from Smithys back ourselves.
That is why the Steak Knives are not included.

Johnny_Eels

Juniors
Its the whole issue with Dennis Fitzgerald not giving a sh1t about him when it came time to signing his last contract for parra, and theres still a hatred for Smithy but in all honesty until Smithy brings us home the premiership i also doubt him. With the John Morris comment he is a five-eighth and a great one no doubt.

eelavation said:
Mate. your entitled to your opinion but still harsh words considering what he's achieved for our club, just think of it this way, he hates the coach, he hates the CEO, that is Brett Kenny's agendas,

I'm sure deep down inside he wants us to succede but I don't think he can stand us winning a comp with Smith at the helm.

i have no problems with him and am grateful of what he did for our club in the 80's but sick off him putting sh*t on the club and our halfs, we are running second and our halfs have played everyteam in the comp to get us their so i dont know what his problem is.

On him hating our coach and ceo, im sure Steve "Turvey' Mortimer hates some people at the canterbury club, but after last weekend shlacking to us , he comes out in the media and says that he still thinks the team can win the premiership, and i can assure u left on badder terms than what kenny left us. Also being a legend of the game does not automatically make u into a great coach, just ask wally lewis. So Kenny either shut up or piss off away from our club, for anyone who loves Parramatta would not be putting sh*t on the team, when we have given the dogs the biggest hiding ever and running second on the comp after 23 rounds.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Johnny_Eels said:
Its the whole issue with Dennis Fitzgerald not giving a sh1t about him when it came time to signing his last contract for parra, and theres still a hatred for Smithy but in all honesty until Smithy brings us home the premiership i also doubt him. With the John Morris comment he is a five-eighth and a great one no doubt.

so what was Dennis supposed to have done to make Brett a happy man???....I guess he the fact the he wasn't offered a role of some sort in the coaching and Administration side of the club may have a little bit to do with it.

scottyeel

Bench
Maybe he is just trying to help our halves by firing them up so they can prove him wrong.:shock::roll:

Bigfella

Coach
When I go to trial I hope I'd rather have Brett's jury than OJ's! They will never convict.

Brett would drop Piggy and play Morris at hooker? Wish he was our coach!

I'm not too fussed about it. Much of it is almost fair - except I disagree strongly that Morris is a hooker playing five eigth. Tim does have some things missing from his game. For example, he's not quite as good as Andrew Johns. By the way, was Peter Sterling as good as Peter Sterling in his first 20 games?

But just as bad, or even worse, than the old whinging ex-players, are the "dial a quote" journalists who have them on speed dial. In a quiet new week - call Neil Harvey / David Campese / Brett Kenny. Boring!

Wagonator

Juniors
Kenny should keep up his carpentry job and quit talking about football. He is just bitter he didnt shoot to the heights some of his peers did once they finished playing, schmuk!

Nickeel

Juniors
MarkInTheStands said:
jim-henson-prod-waldorf-statler-2401676.jpg

Why not it has worked all year.

Ahh ha ha ha ha ha.

Judging by this pic, Brett has really let himself go.

Who is that with him? Pricey?

Nick