What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just a thought

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
I've been pondering this for a bit, and I'm starting to wonder, due the loss of one of the teams after last season, if LU's Forum 7s is in danger of one day closing up? I'd hate to think it would because since I've been apart of it since 2006 it's been a great thing to have, but when you look at the teams that have been and gone, and sometimes the unfortunate circumstances when certain individuals can't make posts..etc..or forget it just seems a shame.

I don't like the idea that one day this all my not be around if we don't have the numbers stable to keep it running but, well just a thought anyway.

Titanic

First Grade
Hardly a good thought but I'm sure that many of us are thinking that way. Starting with this thread why don't we pool ideas for how to attract new players?

I know it's regularly bandied around but we can never become complacent.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The F7s has been going since 2002 and faced bigger hurdles.

As long as there are good people backing up their words with actions, the competition will not go away. And we have plenty of those.

2010 will be a great season.

Next year is another test.

Yes, there are seven teams.
But most weeks we still have an amazing thirty posts to read.
We still have the dedication, right now I am not worried about the future.
But I can understand people who are.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
On a side note BRF, I think you may have the wrong end of the stick in your sig file...
Warriors F7s 2006-2008, before being 'dumped'
The Warriors were not dumped, that's an extremely negative way to look at it. Their skipper needed a year off and a few players followed. Some are playing in other teams.

Everything I've read about the Warriors is that they want to return in 2011. The wider F7s community is very supportive of the Warriors.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
In that case, my mistake. Apologies.

Thanks NT.

Still, quite negative imo.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
In that case, my mistake. Apologies.

Thanks NT.

Still, quite negative imo.

It is and it's meant to (don't know if they'll ever read it or not and I'm not bothered either way) because of the way they made the decision after 2008. But that's all I'm going to say.

Inregards to what I'm saying about the other stuff from the first post, thanks to those who commented back, that helps a little and makes sense and you guys are probably right anyway but this had been bugging me for a while

I know what you mean. Put it this way, everyone was bloody silent when we heard the Warriors were not participating in 2010. Their players are still keen for next year.

Then there are the new guns, we saw players like Ridders who put blinders in on their debut. The old ducks though, especially, are more keen then ever and are really ready to put it all out there. The All Stars match proved that to me.

I guess that's why I have great faith in this competition's survival, despite me being a lot newer than you or anyone else who has posted in this thread.

dubopov

Coach
i can't comment on the comp's survival, but the dragons are almost extinct .. are people under 30 or so actually interested or capable of writing or showing a commitment ?

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Dubo, if you're giving up after round 1, then give the captaincy to someone else.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It is and it's meant to (don't know if they'll ever read it or not and I'm not bothered either way) because of the way they made the decision after 2008. But that's all I'm going to say.

Inregards to what I'm saying about the other stuff from the first post, thanks to those who commented back, that helps a little and makes sense and you guys are probably right anyway but this had been bugging me for a while
Yeah, once again sorry for the misunderstanding. But I still think a positive outlook craps all over its lesser. Burying the hatchet is a liberation. Holding a grudge sucks.

Merely my opinion of course. But in the words of Sam K, you know it makes sense. ;-)

non terminator said:
I would be interested to know the age of some people...I only learnt most of my team's late in the year

i am 17 and i manage with this and year 12.

are people under 30 or so actually interested or capable of writing or showing a commitment ?

we can do it at a young age, but the fire has to be kept alight with us youngsters. Big Mick is a fine captain and i nearly quit panthers because of negative thinking, i thought i was bringing the team down etc, and he pulled me back. thats all. if captains cant do this, then they arent captains. i will always be a panther because of some of the comments he has made. so in other words, keep our interest by saying postive things.

and i think the recruitment drive could be better. we need to hit the forums and find people who dont know about this comp. im glad i found it.

Last edited:
Put it this way, the two Dragons captains of late (Dragon_Psa and Dubopov) are two of the most committed people in the competition. Not only do they post often, but it is always of high quality.

You gotta be careful about recruitment too, don't want to clutter the site and push it into people's faces. Yes, it's a good competition, but a lot of people don't have the time to do it. It takes one hell of a lot of effort.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
we need to hit the forums and find people who dont know about this comp. im glad i found it.
Exactly.

There are 10 or 20 new members joining the forums every day. I know that not all turn into regular members, but this is a growing site.

Just a matter of reading the forums and identifying potential F7s forummers.

Ask Dave Q. Bloody sh*t stirrer, no one wanted him. But he was recruited asap for the Bluebags and won POTM on debut. In one season he developed into champ status when he won the POTM in a grand final. He's now part of the furniture at Souths and a great asset to the F7s.

Last edited:

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
LOL, I think outside of this forum would be a good idea to look out for. You know, people you might see at games who have strong opinions..etc

antonius

Coach
I know if the Warriors do return in 2011 I'll be signing up with them, the reason we stepped down this year was purely numbers, we didn't want to go in knowing we prob wouldn't get five in every game. We thought that would let the comp down. I'm sure we'll be back.
As for the game itself, as Willow said it's been around a long time and survived a lot of highs and lows, word of mouth is a great thing, encourage your mates to have a look and maybe form a team or join one.

Titanic

First Grade
I would be interested to know the age of some people.

Hey NT ... ask which Titans you would like to know and I'll do my best?

No, bugger it, I changed my mind :D but I do know a secret... Juicy Jesbass is legal yet less than retiring age... so someone tell him to get back here where he belongs.

Perhaps the theme of the team could be further examined? I know that when I first answered the Robster's burgerlicious call (how long ago that seems now) it was because I thought the team was representative of the Titans' community and as I was/am a long way from home then my interest was piqued. I was a little put out to find that in fact nobody at that time had any interest in the Titans per se. Then I found he didn't have any players so I went and recruited/coerced a team.

My point is; perhaps we should be encouraging new teams to join too rather than only targeting individuals?

Last edited:

bartman

Immortal
I think both would be good... new teams (if they can be found) as well as new individuals, to supplement the teams we have and help them to all get 5 posts in each match, all season.