What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just How Good Is Channel 9!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Observer

Staff member
griff said:
6.30 with the news lead in will reach a broader audience than showing it live anyway.

<snip>

This story is just a Fox sports propaganda piece against the free TV campaign.

Sorry, it sounds like you're defending the indefensible here, griff - i.e. 9's behaviour. 9 have delayed the telecast to fit it into a time that suits them.

The Pay TV operator's call for a "use it or lose it" rule is quite reasonable. Its the FTA broadcasters that have reacted with hysteria and propaganda, because they want to retain their monopoly.

shaggy

Juniors
im supprised its taken the tele this long 2 make a deal out of this - telegraph owned by news limited which is a news corp company, foxtel owned by news corp

their is no excuse 4 the game not being live, 7 & 10 both move their news around 2 fit around an afl match or a bledisloe test 9 can do the same, they have done so on the odd ocassion with the cricket (the steve waugh 100 @ the scg springs 2 mind)

9 not showin it live in vic, sa & wa is just ratings pure & simple, but what i dont understand is why they dont show it live 2 build an audience so they can put it on @ a decent time next yr against the afl since 9 has no afl anymore

Godz Illa

Coach
Unrelated, but...

Of all the dial-a-quotes on the rolodex of lazy slob hack Dean Ritchie, Brett Kenny is easily the dumbest.
Former Australia great Brett Kenny was upset at Nine's decision, saying: "It is ridiculous it's not live. Radio do it live, so why can't television?"
lol

airpoe

Juniors
shaggy said:
im supprised its taken the tele this long 2 make a deal out of this - telegraph owned by news limited which is a news corp company, foxtel owned by news corp

their is no excuse 4 the game not being live, 7 & 10 both move their news around 2 fit around an afl match or a bledisloe test 9 can do the same, they have done so on the odd ocassion with the cricket (the steve waugh 100 @ the scg springs 2 mind)
Agree

ch7 & 10 have moved their programs & news to accomodate Bledisloe & AFL, whilst ch9 rearly does this!!

All ch9 cares about is ratings!!

sretsoor

Juniors
Whilst I agree sports should be available on free to air t.v.

however as a pyaing customer, I should have the right if I pya for it, to see it live and not at Channel 9's whim.

Quidgybo

Bench
sretsoor said:
however as a pyaing customer, I should have the right if I pya for it, to see it live and not at Channel 9's whim.
Exactly. Pay-per-view thru BigPond internet streaming and via the event channels on satellite and cable. Charge $5 per customer, give $2.50 to Nein to compensate for lost viewers from their replay, $1.50 to BigPond/Foxtel/Optus/Austar, and $1 to the ARL. It pays for itself and fans get the choice of watching the match live regardless of what Nein does.

Leigh.

Rammo

Juniors
ffs, it's one game that won't be on live. The rest of the matches in the series will be shown live, whether they be on Nine or Fox Sports.

lol @ The Telegraph's paranoia about people finding out the score beforehand. It's pretty easy to steer clear of it, just remove yourself from the media for 90 minutes. It's not that hard...

The bottom line is that Nine show their news at 6pm. It's got nothing to do with funniest home videos or whatever else is on.

Telegraph beat-up again, deadset.

hrundi99

First Grade
Sir Knight82 said:
$11.25 for the basic foxtel pack + do what I did and just dont tell them! If they complain, plead ignorance.

Yes I will just go and run backbone cabling for over 160 units...

I think they may spot a dish on the balcony too.

:crazy:

jc155776

Coach
Sir Knight82 said:
My bad, per week. $12.50 was the figure it should have been.

Tell that to a family struggling on one income and a house to pay off.

Or a pensioner.

Or someone unable to work on a disability payment.

Or a student struggling to ger by.

Or an apprentice living away from home.

Big deal the game is going to be 90 minutes later. Some people work till 5 on saturdays anyway. Why watch it at 5 when you can have something to eat and hit the beers at a more convenient 6:30. Game over by 830 so you can start getting ready to go out.

Quidgybo

Bench
Rammo said:
ffs, it's one game that won't be on live. The rest of the matches in the series will be shown live, whether they be on Nine or Fox Sports.
Two out of five or six of Australia's international matches this year, another one or two next year and so forth. It's not just one match, it's an ongoing slight against our national team competing in one of Australia's two most followed sports. I think RL and RL fans are most justified in arguing they deserve better than that.

lol @ The Telegraph's paranoia about people finding out the score beforehand. It's pretty easy to steer clear of it, just remove yourself from the media for 90 minutes. It's not that hard...
Remove yourself from the media? And the rest. Don't answer the phone, listen to voicemail, read a text message or an email, don't talk to friends or family, change your homepage etc etc. If you think 90 mins is easy, try 24 hours waiting for an internet replay. I've had to do that for three Origins and a GF so far this year. And they've been the only four matches I've seen all year that I haven't known the result of prior to watching them. But quite apart from having to jump thru hoops to watch my national team, I hate to think what would happen if someone needed to contact me in an emergency during these times.

The bottom line is that Nine show their news at 6pm. It's got nothing to do with funniest home videos or whatever else is on.
Some of us rate our national RL team a little higher than Nein's 6pm news on our list of priorities. And if we have to we're willing to pay to prove it. All I'm asking for is the option. Nein can do whatever they like but it shouldn't stop RL fans seeing their national team live if they are willing to pay for it. Oh please, won't someone take our money?

Leigh.

sretsoor

Juniors
There should be a choice. Those who cant afford to pay for pay tv can watch the game on 9 whether it is delayed or not. If you're prepared to avoid hearing the results, then all the better.

There should also be a choice that if you want to pay for it, it can be shown live on pay tv.

I have noticed with the Rugby Internationals you can watch it on both Channel 7 and Fox Sports. However 7 elects to show it live, more so cause pay tv is, I believe. If this was the same case with the league, I'd bet 9 would be showing it live but at the moment there is no competition so they can hold us all to ransom.

Inferno

Coach
pretty much. The current debate on legislation is a farce to be honest. All the free-to-air channels are bleating about how sport should be free to all and how we will miss out. Stupid bastards. All the pay tv channels want is to be able to show sport live AFTER the free to air channels decided they don't want to air it live. You tell me how the average joe suffers if that is the case. There is nothing stopping the FTA channels still showing what they want on delay or whatever.

meltiger

First Grade
griff said:
This story is just a Fox sports propaganda piece against the free TV campaign.

You call this propaganda, yet the FTA ads a 'campaign' ?

The FTA 'Campaign' is propaganda at it's best.

If these f**king stations would show the sports they buy at a reasonable time in the developing states, there would be no argument.

meltiger

First Grade
Inferno said:
pretty much. The current debate on legislation is a farce to be honest. All the free-to-air channels are bleating about how sport should be free to all and how we will miss out. Stupid bastards. All the pay tv channels want is to be able to show sport live AFTER the free to air channels decided they don't want to air it live. You tell me how the average joe suffers if that is the case. There is nothing stopping the FTA channels still showing what they want on delay or whatever.

Spot on Inferno.

Every single year, any NRL final not involving the Storm (Except the GF of course) is shown after midnight down here on C9. Why should Fox Sports not be able to broadcast it live if they feel there is a market for it?