What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

kangaroo tours

adamkungl

Immortal
GB hasn't existed for almost 10 years. When will these idiots understand and let it die?

Yep.

GB being split up offers far more opportunities for a tour.

Australia and England could play 2-3 warm up games against opposition including France, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, or even a SL team, then a 3 match series against each other.

deal.with.it

Juniors
Don't forget that your Chairman/CEO big Nige wants GB back.
He is the one that has been doing most of the pushing. Easy to just blame richo, but if you had the RLIF chairman saying to you "lets do this," what do you do? Surely Nige knows more about RL in GB than anyone from Australia...

Evil Homer

Staff member
Don't forget that your Chairman/CEO big Nige wants GB back.
He is the one that has been doing most of the pushing. Easy to just blame richo, but if you had the RLIF chairman saying to you "lets do this," what do you do? Surely Nige knows more about RL in GB than anyone from Australia...
Nigel Wood is an idiot.

You spent 10 years (closer to 15 by the time this actually happens) building up an England brand that people are willing to get behind and a logical, inclusive international structure that benefits everyone, and then you go back to a counter-productive, archaic and frankly ridiculous concept that hasn't existed for over a decade, for literally no reason. Yeah, great idea.

roughyedspud

Coach
No he wasn't..it was steve mascord that pushed..Mascord asked big nige,nige refused to answer and mascord took that to mean its a massive secret and must be true..

I even got mascord to admit on twitter that he pushed it purely because HE thought it was a good idea...he even got the NRL commercial guy,paul kind,been sacked recently,to draw up a fantasy GB tour shedule..even though the RFL constantly denined it and the aussie RLPA wouldn't allow it..

Ive been trying to find a post i posted 2-3 Weeks ago,i can't remember if i posted it here or on TRL,but i said we are due a GB story out of the aussie press..its every 6 effing months...its pathetic

Last edited:

roughyedspud

Coach
Good to see Richo making these kinds of decisions for other countries..

Well this is it...hes getting above his pay grade....

All this stuff hes doing with this platinum league proposal is whats hes paid to do as head of NRL development & stratergy...

Suggesting the home countries forego a decades worth of development and revive a tired & dead brand is frankly ridiculous and shows how out of step he is with international RL

roughyedspud

Coach
like i said...work still needs to be done..

look wales made the 2011 4nations....it could be argued that it kick started development..the performance center opened a year later,WRL took over running of south wales scorpions not long after..

hopefully scotland will kick into gear after they play in the 2016 4 nations,a scottish team in the english leagues has been on the cards for a couple of years..

but before we jump on nations for having poor domestic setups...its worth reminding some people that the kiwi domestic scene is a absolute joke..their season is 6 games long for christ sake!

Pommy

Coach
like i said...work still needs to be done..

look wales made the 2011 4nations....it could be argued that it kick started development..the performance center opened a year later,WRL took over running of south wales scorpions not long after..

hopefully scotland will kick into gear after they play in the 2016 4 nations,a scottish team in the english leagues has been on the cards for a couple of years..

but before we jump on nations for having poor domestic setups...its worth reminding some people that the kiwi domestic scene is a absolute joke..their season is 6 games long for christ sake!

Isn't the 4th nation just invited depending on which hemisphere it is played in?

RoosTah

Juniors
Isn't the 4th nation just invited depending on which hemisphere it is played in?

Well, not quite... the region decides which regional grouping they come from, but they have to qualify by winning their local championship.

morningstar

Juniors

Think you are confusing the NZRL premiership with the league comps in the seven individual zones. Fox Memorial and CRL run from April - August.

siv

First Grade
No need for Kangaroo tours

Australia already play 24 tests over 8 years

Just ask the NRL strategy lead

CC_Roosters

First Grade
No need for Kangaroo tours

Australia already play 24 tests over 8 years

Just ask the NRL strategy lead

Vomit

Still cannot beleive he said that.

As long as the tours have games against developing nations i dont have a problem. Like most on here it should be england as unless there is a sudden influx of professional welsh, irish and scottish BRED players it would be a futile exercise to call it GB when playing in the uk

Maybe when a return tour is planned they could tour as the GB brand given the rest of the uk nations would not be ever touring individually.

So rotate the host every 4 years for nz/eng and eng/aus.

Btw i think Australia should be playing a 2 test home and away series every year v new zealand. Guaranteed home matches is the first imorovement the kiwis need to boost sponsorship and revenue.

Pommy

Coach
Vomit

Still cannot beleive he said that.

As long as the tours have games against developing nations i dont have a problem. Like most on here it should be england as unless there is a sudden influx of professional welsh, irish and scottish BRED players it would be a futile exercise to call it GB when playing in the uk

Maybe when a return tour is planned they could tour as the GB brand given the rest of the uk nations would not be ever touring individually.

So rotate the host every 4 years for nz/eng and eng/aus.

Btw i think Australia should be playing a 2 test home and away series every year v new zealand. Guaranteed home matches is the first imorovement the kiwis need to boost sponsorship and revenue.

Can't see a guaranteed test with NZ if they are going to have world cups, 4 nations and tour Europe. Not unless it was mid season and we know thats not going to happen.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Can't see a guaranteed test with NZ if they are going to have world cups, 4 nations and tour Europe. Not unless it was mid season and we know thats not going to happen.

How i would like to see it working for the kangaroos
2017 world cup
2018 trans tasman test series (2 tests)
2019 rlif tournament (4 games).
2020 kangaroos tour uk and france-3 tests v England, 1 test v france, 1 test v wales. "A" side to play scotland, Ireland and france
2021 world cup
2022 trans tasman test series
2023 rlif tournament
2024 england tour australia
2025 world cup

Surely not too much to ask if they are emphasising this international window that exists anyway and is only spin to hide the demise of the mid season test

roughyedspud

Coach
I wouldn't be surprised if aus,nz & eng start the tri nations again in one of the two "tour" years

So it would look like this

World cup
Tours (england host australia one cycle & nz the next
Fed cup (8 teams)
Tri nations (hosted by nz&oz)
World cup

I can tell you lot now too...england will not be having any rest years so if theres ever a trans tasman series england will play someone

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I wouldn't be surprised if aus,nz & eng start the tri nations again in one of the two "tour" years

So it would look like this

World cup
Tours (england host australia one cycle & nz the next
Fed cup (8 teams)
Tri nations (hosted by nz&oz)
World cup

I can tell you lot now too...england will not be having any rest years so if theres ever a trans tasman series england will play someone

That's a pretty good schedule too and I don't mind the tri nations as it gives each side a home game against the other big 2, so is a boost for each nation. You seem to infer that the tri nations should only be hosted in Aus and NZ though?

I think the aussies have made it pretty clear they won't play full internationals the year after the world cup, although I believe they will have to play NZ at least once in the post season.

Latest posts