What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kangaroos No.1 jersey an open race

gong_eagle

First Grade
Kangaroos No.1 jersey an open race
By Wayne Heming
AAP

http://nrl.com/News/Latest/tabid/10244/default.aspx?id=50480

Past Australian fullback greats are split on the intriguing jostle for the No.1 jumper in next month's Centenary Test clash with New Zealand.
It's been some time since the Kangaroo fullback position has been so hotly contested or divided so many opinions.
But a month out from the Test at the historic SCG to celebrate the first clash between the two countries in 1908, incumbent Brett Stewart, Karmichael Hunt, Billy Slater, Matt Bowen, Anthony Minichiello and Luke Patten are all in the fullback frame.
Support has been building for Storm wizard Slater who's been in exhilarating early form along with the dynamic Stewart.
Former Manly custodian Graham "Wombat" Eadie said the looming fullback battle between Slater (Melbourne) and Stewart (Manly) in Friday's grand final re-match at Olympic Park could "tip one of them over the line".
"It looks a race in three really between Hunt, Billy Slater and Brett Stewart," suggested Eadie, a powerful attacking fullback who wore the No.1 jumper in 12 Tests during the 1970s.
"Billy's been in great form. He's quick, he's setting up tries and he's saving them with his exciting pace.
"His problem is Queensland selectors don't pick him, it's a bit like Matty Bowen."
"It's hard when you state doesn't pick you."
Retired Balmain fullback and 20 Test veteran Garry Jack likes what he's seen of Slater this season.
"Billy Slater is on fire at the moment although they don't always pick players on form," Jack told AAP.
"So far, and we're only talking four weeks, he's got the runs on the board and he's playing outstanding football.
"Stewart produced his best game last weekend and any of those guys, Hunt, Slater, Minichiello would do a great job.
"You could even throw in Kurt Gidley, Luke Patten and Brett Hodgson who don't rate a mention."
One of Queensland's best fullbacks Gary Belcher, who played 15 Tests and diced with Jack for the green and gold No.1 jumper in the late 1980s, said the race was wide open.
"I'm a big fan of all of them but I wouldn't be surprised if the incumbent got the nod given that he's playing superbly," said Belcher.
"You like to think selectors stay loyal but Karmichael was there until he got injured.
"The most recent performance is the most vivid though so therefore Brett Stewart has to be hard to knock over."

Apey

Staff member
slater for me atm, he's been having a good all round game

stewart, barring any shocking performances will probably get the nod though.

DeeGan

Bench
Open? I don't think so.

Selectors will show faith in the incumbent (Stewart) and Origin may prove to be the platform for a Test push from any one of the QLD stars that will be wearing the number one.

Stewart is in fine form and that will be rewarded. He would have to do something horribly wrong to be punted for Slater.

SoftSydney

Juniors
Open? I don't think so.

Selectors will show faith in the incumbent (Stewart) and Origin may prove to be the platform for a Test push from any one of the QLD stars that will be wearing the number one.

Stewart is in fine form and that will be rewarded. He would have to do something horribly wrong to be punted for Slater.

I think Billy has Stewart well and truly covered in every aspect!

Big Pete

Referee
:lol: Hunt...not to come accross as disloyal but I'd much rather see Slater or Minichiello wear the green and gold come the Centenary Test match.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Hunt should get it.

Agreed, but it depends who the halves are.

IMO if Lockyer plays, Hunt will be in the 1, if Hunt doesn't play I would not be surprised to see Slater or Stewart there. Greg Inglis is a smokie as well as we have enough wingers!

lockyno1

Post Whore
Tell you what you could name 7 fullbacks and they would all do a dman good job. Has there ever been a period in the game where there have been more great fullbacks! Heck one of the most underrated players in Luke Patten hardly gets a mention!

lockyno1

Post Whore
I honestly have no idea on the backline. Assuming Lockyer is fit..

1. Hunt
2. Folau
3. Gasnier
4. Hodges
5. Inglis
6. Lockyer
7. Thurston

with Greg Bird in there somewhere as he is the best lock in the game.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Why? He's a great player but what's he done to deserve the spot this year over Slater and Stewart?

If Lockyer is 5/8 Hunt will be fullback, Stuart likes bigger fullbacks in test matches, and Hunt always performs. I know you will say Slater has changed but he was ordinary the last time he played rep footy at fullback.

Geohood

Bench
Put Slater there on form because it dosen't matter if they're a bigger fullback or not - we're vsing the Kiwis remember. A club side can beat em.

simmo1

First Grade
Slater at fullback, by a f**king mile.

Inglis at centre and Hodges on the wing until he learns to pass the ball.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Put Slater there on form because it dosen't matter if they're a bigger fullback or not - we're vsing the Kiwis remember. A club side can beat em.

Irrelevant, and I don't think Ricky Stuart will share your views on the Kiwis, they have a good enough side to beat us.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Slater at fullback, by a f**king mile.

Inglis at centre and Hodges on the wing until he learns to pass the ball.

Um, no. Hodges is the best centre in the game and you put him on the wing. Stupid, not to mention Hodges is not a winger..not to mention Inglis has BARELY been in form!

mxlegend99

Referee
How does Hunt even get mentioned?

Slater is light years ahead of him IMO, and the only player even close to him is Brett Stewart. Either one of these guys would do a great job.

If Hunt played for any team other then Brisbane, he wouldn't be rated in the slightest.