What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kangaroos No.1 jersey an open race

Shorty

Staff member
Slater should get it but Stewart will get the nod.
Hunt won't touch it for a long time(hopefully).

Combinations won't mean sh*t locky,Hunt won't be chosen over Stewart.

Nightward

Juniors
I have a sneaking suspicion that Queensland's Origin side will look something like this:

1. Hunt
2. Slater
3. Bell (I guess; he was solid last year and has been OK this year so far, so unless they want to play Inglis...)
4. Hodges
5. Folau
6. Thurston (plays better at 5/8th any way)
7. Prince
8. Hannant
9. Smith
10. Civoniceva
11. Thaiday
12. ?
13. ?
14. Webb
15. Stagg
16. Bowen
17. ?

Aside from Bell and maybe Stagg, those players out to be in the top squad for the Kangaroos, minimum. Most of them ought to be wearing the green and gold. Hunt will have played more Club and Origin games alongside them than the other contenders, and Ricky Stuart has a preference for him, too; in the big games, it's the defence that will get you home.

Hunt plays good, mistake-free footy that doesn't cost you penalties at inopportune times (Slater, I'm looking at you) and is excellent in support. Stewart isn't bad, but he won't have the same ability to slot in to the back line that any of the Queensland contenders do.

Personally, I still think Slater's a bit of a grub. Wearing the Australian jersey means you're representing the country; regardless of ability or performance, asshats should never get that opportunity.

Ice777

Bench
If Lockyer is 5/8 Hunt will be fullback, Stuart likes bigger fullbacks in test matches, and Hunt always performs. I know you will say Slater has changed but he was ordinary the last time he played rep footy at fullback.

Just when i think you can't make yourself look like a bigger f**king knob than what you are you come out and prove that you can.

simmo1

First Grade
Um, no. Hodges is the best centre in the game and you put him on the wing. Stupid, not to mention Hodges is not a winger..not to mention Inglis has BARELY been in form!

Well whoever you've got on Hodges's outside won't see the ball all night, so you might as well pick some sh*thouse reserve grade. Ball hog if I ever saw one.

If Lockyer is 5/8 Hunt will be fullback, Stuart likes bigger fullbacks in test matches, and Hunt always performs. I know you will say Slater has changed but he was ordinary the last time he played rep footy at fullback.

So players can't improve ?.Going by what you say Hodges should have never been given another chance to play for Qld because he was ordinary(very very ordinary in SOO about 6 yrs ago).
Players have to be given a chance to show they have improved .
Slater is a mile ahead of any other FB at the moment .
Stewert is good if every game is played at Brooky.

Eels Dude

Coach
Agreed, but it depends who the halves are.

IMO if Lockyer plays, Hunt will be in the 1, if Hunt doesn't play I would not be surprised to see Slater or Stewart there. Greg Inglis is a smokie as well as we have enough wingers!

Stuff combinations. If Aussies play to their potential we'll rake it in no matter who is playing. Players deserve to be picked on form for a change. And individual form, not club form. Sick of blokes getting picked because they're made to look good by the club players playing around em.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Queensland's Origin side will look something like this:

1. Hunt
2. Slater
3. Bell (I guess; he was solid last year and has been OK this year so far, so unless they want to play Inglis...)
4. Hodges
5. Folau
7. Prince
8. Hannant
9. Smith
10. Civoniceva
11. Thaiday
12. ?
13. ?
14. Webb
15. Stagg
16. Bowen
17. ?

Aside from Bell and maybe Stagg, those players out to be in the top squad for the Kangaroos, minimum. Most of them ought to be wearing the green and gold. Hunt will have played more Club and Origin games alongside them than the other contenders, and Ricky Stuart has a preference for him, too; in the big games, it's the defence that will get you home.

Hunt plays good, mistake-free footy that doesn't cost you penalties at inopportune times (Slater, I'm looking at you) and is excellent in support. Stewart isn't bad, but he won't have the same ability to slot in to the back line that any of the Queensland contenders do.

Personally, I still think Slater's a bit of a grub. Wearing the Australian jersey means you're representing the country; regardless of ability or performance, asshats should never get that opportunity.

I dont think QLD's backline will look anything like that

scuzzi

Juniors
simmo1, whats with the anti hodges raid. He's the best centre in the game and he has a very inexperienced reece robinson outside him. Broncos want him to get the ball as much as possible and I'd say Australia would aswell.

scuzzi

Juniors
just saw this on rugby league live website
Who will be the Australian Centenary Test fullback?
Sportingbet Australia

Brett Stewart 2.10
Karmichael Hunt 2.50
Billy Slater 3.75
Anthony Minichiello 9.00
Matt Bowen 11.00
Greg Inglis 15.00
Any Other Player 15.00
Luke Patten 26.00

wtf?

scuzzi

Juniors
according to those odds "any other player" has better odds of being fullback than luke patten. So Ray Cashmire or Jarrod Hickey have a better chance :lol: or am i just way to tired and seeing things?

_Johnsy

Referee
play any of them at fullback, they'd all get the job done. If I had to pick, can't go past Stewart.

miccle

Bench
:lol: Hunt...not to come accross as disloyal but I'd much rather see Slater or Minichiello wear the green and gold come the Centenary Test match.

Not to be too pedantic, but I'm not so sure that we'll be seeing any green and gold involved in the test match :lol:

Big Pete

Referee
Ah I forgot about that aye miccle!

It took me awhile to understand your point, I thought you were questioning the credentials of one Justin Hodges.

nqboy

First Grade

1. Hunt
2. Slater
4. Hodges
5. Folau
7. Prince
Inglis?

Stewie Griffin

Juniors
Doesn't Ricki Stuart have a thing for Hunt? I personally think Hunt will get the gig, but on form, Slater deserves it.

Latest posts