What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kapow - sandow

EelsFan05

Bench
Sandow has made me eat my words to begin this year and well done to him. I still think there's question marks on his play when the going gets tough.

T.S Quint

Coach
Sandow has made me eat my words to begin this year and well done to him. I still think there's question marks on his play when the going gets tough.

This.
I never wanted him. I wasn't happy when we got him.
It was painful watching him play for us.

But right now I am glad he is our halfback. He is playing off the charts.
But like you, I am worried that he will descend back into his old, crappy ways. He started last season very well but dropped off massively. I'm hoping it doesn't happen again.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I was hoping we would sign Sandow, was stoked when we did, and horrified when his form was so erratic for us after his massive 2011.

His off field issues explained a lot, but the fact is there is always the chance of a recurrence.

If I was Arthur's I'd keep Sandow in the top 17 until his contract expires, but I wouldn't be retaining him. It doesn't matter how well he plays this year and next - he blew it the past two years. He is too much of a risk.

EelsFan05

Bench
I was hoping we would sign Sandow, was stoked when we did, and horrified when his form was so erratic for us after his massive 2011.

His off field issues explained a lot, but the fact is there is always the chance of a recurrence.

If I was Arthur's I'd keep Sandow in the top 17 until his contract expires, but I wouldn't be retaining him. It doesn't matter how well he plays this year and next - he blew it the past two years. He is too much of a risk.

Has someone hacked your account Pou?:)

eels_fan

First Grade
Disagree. If Sandow as our 7 leads us into the finals this year with consistent football, and does so again next year he should be retained. I wouldn't be giving him a Payrise, and with the cap having lifted in the 4 years of his contract it would no longer be taking up as big a chunk as it has been

The Engineers Room

First Grade
This.
I never wanted him. I wasn't happy when we got him.
It was painful watching him play for us.

But right now I am glad he is our halfback. He is playing off the charts.
But like you, I am worried that he will descend back into his old, crappy ways. He started last season very well but dropped off massively. I'm hoping it doesn't happen again.

This is the challenge for Norman. He has to step up and settle us down, complete our sets, when we are in trouble.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Disagree. If Sandow as our 7 leads us into the finals this year with consistent football, and does so again next year he should be retained. I wouldn't be giving him a Payrise, and with the cap having lifted in the 4 years of his contract it would no longer be taking up as big a chunk as it has been

If we make the finals this year and are on track to make them by mid next year then Sandow will be getting a payrise. If not from us then from some other club.

Noise

Coach
Who would we replace him with? We would certainly be going backwards as there are not enough genuine halves on the market.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We just need a bloke who can kick and tackle.

Our attack is fine. Defence is our main issue and we can afford a worse attacking, better defending (and probably cheaper) player at right half.

Sandow was perfect for us when we signed him (late 2011) because we were solid in defence but had nothing in attack. Since then our roster has been completely overhauled from the dour bunch that ran around in 2011.

Last edited:

Noise

Coach
We just need a bloke who can kick and tackle.

Our attack is fine. Defence is our main issue and we can afford a worse attacking, better defending (and probably cheaper) player at right half.

Sandow was perfect for us when we signed him (late 2011) because we were solid in defence but had nothing in attack. Since then our roster has been completely overhauled from the dour bunch that ran around in 2011.

Someone like Luke Kelly? Please :crazy:

EelsFan05

Bench
Pou loves a good argument. Six months ago he'd argue black and blue for Sandow, now he's happy If we let him walk at the end of his contract. At least you're are consistent mate, I think....

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We do realise sandow is part of why our attack is currently good

And also part of why our defence isn't.

My argument is that we can afford a right side half that is not so good in attack but better in defence. And also who will keep his mind on footy every week.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Pou loves a good argument. Six months ago he'd argue black and blue for Sandow, now he's happy If we let him walk at the end of his contract. At least you're are consistent mate, I think....

I was happy to let him walk at the end of his contract since 2012. My argument was always that we shouldn't cut him early and pay him to play for someone else.

He has always been in our top 17 players. That doesn't mean we should keep him when he's off contract. Same with Joe Paulo.

fanool

Juniors
Is this thread (titled 'Kapow Sandow') should be for whooping up his amazing feats?

OR

Is it for when he has received media coverage?

OR

Is this thread for general discussions on the man.

I'm confused, and not sure how to contribute.

Dogmatix

Juniors
This thread always had so much potential, a shame it never fulfilled its potential

Interesting reading the first few pages on how excited Eels fans were to sign Sandow. Did Sandow's level of play drop from 2011 to 2015 or was he a victim of the poor players surrounding him at the Eels?