What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kapow - sandow

emjaycee

Coach
I wouldn't argue that we have the potential to win any game that we play in. Having the potential to win and actually winning and coming away with the 2 points are two different things though. As I said, I think there will be few more losses like yesterday and against Manly and we will miss the Top 8. Not by far though.

9 more wins would pretty much guarantee a top 8 finish and 8 more (12 in total) would most probably see us make it (apart from 2 years where 13 wins were needed, 12 wins has made the 8 except a couple of F/A occasions in the last 11 years).

Can you see us getting less than 8 wins from our remaining 15 games if we maintain our recent form?

Chipmunk

Coach
9 more wins would pretty much guarantee a top 8 finish and 8 more (12 in total) would most probably see us make it (apart from 2 years where 13 wins were needed, 12 wins has made the 8 except a couple of F/A occasions in the last 11 years).

Can you see us getting less than 8 wins from our remaining 15 games if we maintain our recent form?

I think you will get a real reflection of where this team is going to be by the end of Round 10. We've had a great start so far, but realistically we're playing 3 teams over the next 3 weeks that we are going to be in a battle with to make that Top 8, one of them in the Sharks it could be argued that they probably are not in the form to make the Top 8, but certainly have the potential to still do so. If we do not come away with at minimum 2 wins out of the next 3 games I'm certain we will not make the 8.

Realistically though, us getting anywhere near the Top 8 is basically going to come down to how many games Hayne plays. If he gets a long term injury we will not win many games.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Probably but not necessarily. There are a few teams with more improvement in them than us. I think the table will look very different by round 26.

Chipmunk

Coach
I think we will win somewhere between 6 and 10 more games and finish somewhere between 6th and 14th on the ladder.

Sensai Cobra

Juniors
I'd say what we've seen from Chrissy the last couple of weeks is exactly what you're gunna get.

He'll make a few errors, miss the odd tackle, but he'll create some spark, and be a constant threat in attack. I'm not a massive fan but I reckon he has been pretty good.

I'm surprised some are whinging, I think his form has been ok.

The goal kicking is a worry though.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The goalkicking is a massive worry. Since he got here he has gotten increasingly worser.

2012: 88%
2013: 78%
2014: 56%

At this rate he will kick at about 25% next year, which wasn't good enough yesterday.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
If our guys in the middle third pulled their fingers out and scored a few meat pies it would make Sandows job a bit easier.

Joely01

Bench
You are pretty harsh judges, look at the kicks he has had this year, a lot have been on the touch line thanks to our wingers scoring so much.
He should have kicked his last one on Monday, but the others didn't miss by much. Unlike Paulo who had some that weren't even close.

fanool

Juniors
I love him. Nobody knows what he's gonna do next. Can't wait till the next game. Don't care where we end up if we keep playing this way but FMD this squad in a final would be exciting to see. At least they'll go down fighting

Parraren

Bench
http://m.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-p...nly-on-the-field/story-e6frf3tc-1226920529783

Eels halfback Chris Sandow still gambles — but, now he knows the cost, it’s only on the field
Nick Walshaw
The Daily Telegraph
May 17, 2014 12:00AM
Daley Mail: PAR v STI2:29
Daley Mail: Parramatta v St George
PreviewMay 15, 2014 2:29

CHRIS Sandow still fills out TAB tickets.

Scribbling down what he thinks will be the next winner at Canterbury, Cranbourne, even Angle Park, before rejoining his mates at their regular front bar table.

We could tell you none of them pass through the machine, insisting this enigmatic Eel, since walking from rehab seven months ago, is completely comfortable with the little game that now sees him ticking boxes for nothing more than an interest.

To keep his place in this group.

And for the most part, it’s true.

But as for that rare ticket which still slips through? When, occasionally, those checked boxes become a little, white betting slip?

Sandow’s answer for that can be found in why he chip kicks on the first play of a game.

“Taking risks,’’ the halfback grins, “it’s part of my magic”.

Chrissy Sandow has been gambling his entire life. Chip ‘n’ chase on the first play? Let’s do it. Run on the last? No problem. And back when the shoulder charge was still legal ... this cheeky playmaker rolled the defensive dice two, even three times a game.

Chris Sandow admits gambling is part of his footballing creativity. Source: News Corp Australia
Yet, chatting now with The Daily Telegraph at Ringrose Park, Wentworthville, a ground where he has spent far too much time of late, Sandow is explaining how that same attitude — that magic — almost finished him.

“How much have I lost punting? No idea,’’ the 25-year-old shrugs. “But no gambler is ever going to tell you that. They can’t.

“I know there have been times where athletes say they lost so many thousands. But I guarantee, they’re guessing.

“On the punt, all you ever remember is winning — that’s what takes you back again and again and again.”

And just like that we all gasp.

Sandow’s gambling became a problem when he left South Sydney for Parramatta. Source: Getty Images
Wondering how this indigenous livewire with everything — the cash, skills, beautiful partner, three healthy children — could so easily come within a short half-head of losing it all?

Indeed, two years ago, when the South Sydney poster boy had just inked his $550,000 move to the Eels, this journalist asked Sandow if he was worth the hype? Worth the cash?

We recounted how, rather than answer, the new signing had looked “towards the ground. Then the sky. Even at Fuifui Moimoi as he passes”.

Yet the real problem was not with the answer, but the question. In the assumption that an Aboriginal mission kid, a boy who only a few years earlier was pooling lunch money with older brothers and cousins, would not only understand, overnight, the value of six figures, but his legitimacy to claiming them.

“To come from Cherbourg to this,’’ Sandow says now, looking around him, “it’s difficult.

“Sometimes I think people judge me without understanding. Without having walked in
my shoes. As a boy growing up, no one I knew really saved money. People like my parents, they struggled and went without a lot themselves so I could do stuff.

“But it just seemed like what you had, you spent. And once I signed with Parramatta, I had plenty. I could party, gamble, whatever ... The next week there was always more money coming in.”

And then one day, there wasn’t. Sandow was not only weighed down by a debt he still cannot calculate, but the shame of trying to keep his truth from the club, the press, even those family members whose love is unconditional.

So what was it like living a lie?

“Almost killed me,’’ he says without pause.

“I came to Parramatta on such a high, thinking the money, the expectation, the attention, I could handle it all.

“But I couldn’t. There was never any question I could play, but the gambling, it took over. Stopped me from focusing on footy. I was punting two, three times as much as my mates and, eventually, couldn’t shoulder the load.

“And I understand all that now. Realise how quickly it can all be gone. But back then, I was hurting, lost interest in everything. So I rang Mum and said, ‘I’m coming home’.”

And if not for Rhonda Sandow, Cherbourg is where he would be right now.

“Normally Mum, she just yells at me,’’ he says, smiling. “But this time it was different; she really spoke to me in a black fella way. Explaining that, while I will always be her boy, it’s not me and her anymore, you know. I have kids of my own now. A family. So there’s no more running home when things go wrong.”

Which is why Sandow, having lost weight, got fit and finished his rehabilitation, is doing what he does best:
Taking the same risks that, as a teen, not only saw him emerge from the safety blanket that is Cherbourg — walking out when every inch of him screamed ‘stay’ — but eventually making NRL debuts, winning Dally M Rookie gongs and playing the type of footy that saw him chip, regather and score against Cronulla last Monday night.

“F..., that one was good,’’ he laughs. “I don’t mean to swear but that play, winning ... not many people know but, after games of footy where Parramatta lose, I still cry.”

So the boy from Cherbourg, he’s back?

“Ah, you can put that I’m getting there,’’ he grins. “Bringing back the magic.”

guruminga

Juniors
Apart from the weird intro, this is a good article.
Sandow said some good things. What he said about not saving is a common problem. I hope clubs learn to work better with players who grew up in similar circumstances to Sandow so that they don't get themselves in the crap. I reckon a good number of working class Aussies who suddenly get fame and half a mill a year salary would fall into a similar trap; especially those without good role models growing up.

I'm loving seeing Sandow play well again. He's had some good defense which none of us would have predicted this time last year. And he certainly has some magic in attack.
It's been fun being an Eels fan again this year.

G

Latest posts