What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kasiano nears QLD switch

hitman82

Bench
An all-Australian affair.

Australian born, Australian born with no Kiwi heritage, Australian resident? It's always going to be murky.

I see only two ways to prevent Origin damaging the international game:

-opening the eligibility, so it doesn't tie you in to the Kangaroos.
-providing an alternative to keep Kiwi/Island eligible players true to their nations.

To me, the first is far more do-able. A concurrent series between NZ and Pacific would be cool, but in reality it'd probably just weaken the Kiwis without affecting Australia at all :lol:, widening the gap between the Big 3 even more. But hey, maybe that's how it should be. I'd much prefer the Island eligible Kiwis to be playing for their birth/parental heritage nation.

Meth

Staff member
See post #213.

If, by those criteria, you are eligible to play for Australia, I am fine with you to play Origin.

hitman82

Bench
Fair point. They aren't exactly the same. And yes, Webb and Fien are among the most heinous eligibility farces.

Look, at the end of the day, my position is pretty clear. In my mind, if you are born in country A, and your parents are born in country A, and you move over to country B at an age older than 12, you should be playing for country A. Make it black and white (no pun intended) and take the choice away from the players.

See post #213.

If, by those criteria, you are eligible to play for Australia, I am fine with you to play Origin.

That's a fair enough eligibility.
And would you leave the international rules as they are? IE Willie Mason and Jason Nightingale can opt to play for either Australia or NZ.

Meth

Staff member
That's a fair enough eligibility.
And would you leave the international rules as they are? IE Willie Mason and Jason Nightingale can opt to play for either Australia or NZ.

Mason was born in NZ. Where were his parents born? How old was he when he moved over?

Jason Nightingale was born and bred in Australia. Where were his parents born?

Meth

Staff member
Tamou and Kasiano's selections 'dilutes the international game and puts a question over the fabric of what State of Origin is all about'. Peter Sterling on the Rush Hour on Monday night.

hitman82

Bench
Mason was born in NZ. Where were his parents born? How old was he when he moved over?

Jason Nightingale was born and bred in Australia. Where were his parents born?

Good comments from Sterlo!

Mason moved to Australia when he was younger than 12. Unsure of where his parents were born, though I have a feeling at least one of them is a Kiwi.

Jason Nightingale has at least 1 Kiwi parent.

So under your rules, and the current rules. they are eligible for both NZ and Australia. Which I am cool with: they both have totally tangible links to both countries.

Meth

Staff member
If the circumstances are as you say, then I would be happy enough for those players to have the option as to who they would like to represent.

hutch

First Grade
Good comments from Sterlo!

Mason moved to Australia when he was younger than 12. Unsure of where his parents were born, though I have a feeling at least one of them is a Kiwi.

Jason Nightingale has at least 1 Kiwi parent.

So under your rules, and the current rules. they are eligible for both NZ and Australia. Which I am cool with: they both have totally tangible links to both countries.

Mason moved to aus when he was 1 or 2. He has an Australian dad and Tongan mother and has previously said he has never had any interest in playing for NZ, his dad would turn in his grave!

Last edited:

hitman82

Bench
Mason moved to aus when he was 1 or 2. He has an Australian dad and Tongan mother and has previously said he has never had any interest in playing for NZ, his dad would turn in his grave!

Fair enough; I thought his mum was Maori. I've never had any interest in Mason playing for the Kiwis myself, was just querying Meth's rules :)

RedVee

First Grade
Australian born, Australian born with no Kiwi heritage, Australian resident? It's always going to be murky.

I see only two ways to prevent Origin damaging the international game:

-opening the eligibility, so it doesn't tie you in to the Kangaroos.
-providing an alternative to keep Kiwi/Island eligible players true to their nations.

To me, the first is far more do-able. A concurrent series between NZ and Pacific would be cool, but in reality it'd probably just weaken the Kiwis without affecting Australia at all :lol:, widening the gap between the Big 3 even more. But hey, maybe that's how it should be. I'd much prefer the Island eligible Kiwis to be playing for their birth/parental heritage nation.

Shouldn't be murky, in my book you should be an Australian citizen to play for Australia, and you must be eligible for Aust selection to play Origin. Years spent in a state for life/school/sport then determines which state. Although I think there could be an argument for a father/son exception rule.

If someone is willing to go through the effort of becoming a citizen then who are we to say he belongs somewhere else.

I think that is fairly simple and straightforward.

Latest posts