What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kasiano nears QLD switch

roarr

Juniors
It amazes me how much everyone hates the daily telegraph/courier mail and channel nine and how everyone is fully aware of their horrendously low standards of journalism and obvious agendas....

yet they still have so much influence over what we think is important. Meninga has come out and said he's not even planning to pick Kaisiano unless there is a severe prop shortage in the next 2 weeks. The media have just drummed this up to sell papers and everyone is buying into it.

Sure his eligibility is an issue... but its exactly the same as Tamou and the rules are in place so get the f**k over it. NZ--> Aus immigration is not slowing down and players are going to be eligible to choose which country they play for because they have lived significant years in both.

hitman82

Bench
So Polynesians can't be Australian?

:lol: obviously not!
Jokes.
Look, if a person of Kiwi or Samoan or whatever kind of ancestry grows up in Australia, identifies themselves as an Australian, and wants to play Australia - that's cool!
But when they consider themselves a Kiwi, or a Samoan, or whatever, but feel obliged to play State of Origin for career reasons and/or because they want to play in the supposed pinnacle of the game - why should they have to forsake their true international eligibility in order to do so?
Why wanting to represent the state you reside in dictate your nationality?

As league fans, we all supposedly want the international game to improve and become more competitive yeah? It's pretty f**king obvious that for this to happen, either Origin has to have no bearing on your international eligibility OR there has to be a similarly powerful drawcard for players who are dual eligible, but side with other countries.

Like a concurrent mid season series involving the various types of bros.

Last edited:

Snappy

Coach
Ah noes laggy you smarty pants. How dare I get that confused !

I am however still waiting for Eddies evidence of the bullshit accusation ? Once again he just shoots off his mouth thinking people will just accept his nonsense.

Grapple

Bench
As a Dogs/NSW/Kiwis fan, it would be a little frustrating to see him put on a Maroon jumper but I don't blame the Aussies really; almost 1 in 4 "Australians" are born overseas. They're just being consistent.

Meth

Staff member
Oh I'm sure the Kiwis guys on here wanted him smashed obviously. I was talking more about talk coming for the players themselves.

Hoffman and Nightingale are nothing like Tamou. They never changed their allegiance.

It wasn't just a media beat up. It was also talked about on internet forums. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

hutch

First Grade
:lol: obviously not!
Jokes.
Look, if a person of Kiwi or Samoan or whatever kind of ancestry grows up in Australia, identifies themselves as an Australian, and wants to play Australia - that's cool!
But when they consider themselves a Kiwi, or a Samoan, or whatever, but feel obliged to play State of Origin for career reasons and/or because they want to play in the supposed pinnacle of the game - why should they have to forsake their true international eligibility in order to do so?
Why wanting to represent the state you reside in dictate your nationality?

As league fans, we all supposedly want the international game to improve and become more competitive yeah? It's pretty f**king obvious that for this to happen, either Origin has to have no bearing on your international eligibility OR there has to be a similarly powerful drawcard for players who are dual eligible, but side with other countries.

Like a concurrent mid season series involving the various types of bros.

Agree with a lot of this. It is simply not fair that Australia gets the opportunity to play these rep games very single year, with nrl clubs releasing Australian players yet no other country is given the chance. This is the biggest shame and unfair advantage!

Meth

Staff member
Also, I find it funny that he is considered a turncoat yet guys like Nightingale, Hoffman and Fien are not.

Where were Nightingale's parents born? Hoffman's? If I was living in Australia, and my children were born there, I would be doing my best to preserve their sense of Kiwi identity. As I'm sure you would, vice versa.

The vast, vast majority of Kiwi's hate having Fien and Webb in our national team. This has been made clear over and over and over again. Fien and Webb = Tamou and (potentially) Kasiano. And, because the competition and the money are in Australia, NZ will always lose in any sort of trade-off under these currently ludicrous eligibility rules.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Fien and Webb = Tamou and (potentially) Kasiano

I disagree. They differ significantly.

Fien and Webb - both learned to play footy in Australia and then moved over to NZ at an age where they had already developed their skills. Webb in fact was even scouted by the Warriors from Q Cup. Fien was already established in the NRL when he made the switch to NZ. "Grannygate" was just an outright lie, and Fien only played with the Kiwis after '06 due to the residency rule.

Tamou and Kasiano moved to Australia when they were still young and developing. They acquired their skills and fitness in the Australian RL system.

Meth

Staff member
I disagree. They differ significantly.

Fien and Webb - both learned to play footy in Australia and then moved over to NZ at an age where they had already developed their skills. Webb in fact was even scouted by the Warriors from Q Cup. Fien was already established in the NRL when he made the switch to NZ. "Grannygate" was just an outright lie, and Fien only played with the Kiwis after '06 due to the residency rule.

Tamou and Kasiano moved to Australia when they were still young and developing. They acquired their skills and fitness in the Australian RL system.

But don't you understand what a terrible precedent that sets? I live in Christchurch. There are Australian club scouts hanging around watching the juniors. Kids are being targeted, recruited and moving over younger and younger to play Rugby League. Sure, they acquire their skills and fitness in the Australian RL system- but, its with a view to play club Rugby League. It ought not make them any more eligible for State of Origin, or the Australian National team. Just as Fien and Webb are Australians who moved over to NZ to pursue Rugby League, Kasiano and Tamou are New Zealanders who moved over to Australia to pursue Rugby League.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
But don't you understand what a terrible precedent that sets? I live in Christchurch. There are Australian club scouts hanging around watching the juniors. Kids are being targeted, recruited and moving over younger and younger to play Rugby League. Sure, they acquire their skills and fitness in the Australian RL system- but, its with a view to play club Rugby League. It ought not make them any more eligible for State of Origin, or the Australian National team. Just as Fien and Webb are Australians who moved over to NZ to pursue Rugby League, Kasiano and Tamou are New Zealanders who moved over to Australia to pursue Rugby League.

I'm not sure about Tamou, but Kasiano didn't move to Australia to pursue Rugby League. He wasn't playing when his family moved here, and he took it up again in high school over here.

I'm just pointing out that the comparisons are not accurate, as Webb and Fien were completely different situations. Fien was a mistake due to him lying about his Grandmother, and Webb was recruited by the Warriors to move to NZ. Neither is true for Kasiano or Tamou.

Meth

Staff member
Fair point. They aren't exactly the same. And yes, Webb and Fien are among the most heinous eligibility farces.

Look, at the end of the day, my position is pretty clear. In my mind, if you are born in country A, and your parents are born in country A, and you move over to country B at an age older than 12, you should be playing for country A. Make it black and white (no pun intended) and take the choice away from the players.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Fair point. They aren't exactly the same. And yes, Webb and Fien are among the most heinous eligibility farces.

Look, at the end of the day, my position is pretty clear. In my mind, if you are born in country A, and your parents are born in country A, and you move over to country B at an age older than 12, you should be playing for country A. Make it black and white (no pun intended) and take the choice away from the players.

It's been mentioned many times, but the best solution appears to be changing the Origin eligibility rules to allow Kiwi born players who were developed by the NSWRL or QRL to play, but also represent their own nation in internationals.

Meth

Staff member
It's been mentioned many times, but the best solution appears to be changing the Origin eligibility rules to allow Kiwi born players who were developed by the NSWRL or QRL to play, but also represent their own nation in internationals.

Yeah, I think that would be a quick fix.

BUT, it would be a shame for Origin.

Surely, any player who would play for NSW/QLD and NZ over Australia if given the option shouldn't be playing for NSW/QLD. Right?

hitman82

Bench

Surely, any player who would play for NSW/QLD and NZ over Australia if given the option shouldn't be playing for NSW/QLD. Right?

Why not? They are products of the QLD/NSW rugby league systems, and probably proud to represent their state. They are also Kiwis by ancestry/birth and proud to represent their heritage. Those both sound fair to me.

Man, if the eligibility ever got changed, it'd be Incredibly interesting to see the teams for the next Origin. Particularly NSW I guess, with far more Kiwi players eligible. It'd also be interesting to see if any current Origin players would defect to other nations.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade

If anything it would be a bonus for Origin. Can you imagine Benji Marshall's antics in a Maroon jersey?

State of Origin has never been about where a player was born, and the eligibility rules reflect the system that developed the player. The change that many support would only promote this further. If a player is developed by the QRL and plays their first senior game in the QRL, they can represent the QRL in State of Origin. If they were born in NZ, they can then represent NZ in internationals.

Meth

Staff member
Yeah. But as subjective as this standard may be, I just don't see that as being consistent with what I understand to be the spirit of State of Origin. To be honest, I reckon you Aussies are screwing it up.

hitman82

Bench
If anything it would be a bonus for Origin. Can you imagine Benji Marshall's antics in a Maroon jersey?

State of Origin has never been about where a player was born, and the eligibility rules reflect the system that developed the player. The change that many support would only promote this further. If a player is developed by the QRL and plays their first senior game in the QRL, they can represent the QRL in State of Origin. If they were born in NZ, they can then represent NZ in internationals.

Exactly! That's the ideal scenario. QLD and NSW reap the benefits of their production of Kiwi players, the same players get to battle alongside their clubmates at Origin level and represent the state they live in... while also being able to front for their true country in the end of year tests.

Meth, what is your understanding of the spirit of Origin exactly? I always viewed it as an all-stars match for the best of the Australian domestic league competition... whereas now it has also become a murky trial for the Australian test team and vehicle for poaching talented players from other nations.

Latest posts